Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais Energy refusing to pay back refund

Options
  • 31-03-2010 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi

I run a small business whose gas supply is with bord gais. A few months ago we got a estimated bill for about 1000 euro incurred during a 3 month period. We then got the meter checked and the new bill was about 800 euro of 'real gas use' if you can pardon my terminology. Grand we thought we'll get the extra 200 that we did not use off the bill. We told the engineer who checked the meter to do this. TODAY we got a bill from bord gais dated 26/03/10 telling us to pay the extra 200 euro within 5 days or else our supply will be cut off. The letter arrived today 31/03/10 and NO ONE IS PICKING UP THE PHONE ON THE HELPLINE 021-4937518.

What am I to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Call them on 1850 200 694

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Normally it is offset against your next billing period? IE. Your next billing period, assuming it is run off from a real meter reading, will have €200 "less" usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Normally you will receive a credit against your next bill as opposed to an actual refund.

But in your case, it looks as if your account wasn't credited at all. Try the 1850 helpline number provided above.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

I think the OP has confused terminology and perhaps procedure too.

What my understanding is of the situation a bill was sent in for €1000 for an estimated reading but the OP subsequently had the metre read and calculated a liabillity of €800.

Normally the estimated reading can be updated to an actual reading which is then credited back on the next bill. In the mean time though the first bill would be due. It's not like the old days where you got a card in the door saying we tried to read your meter etc - once a reading is estimated and a bill is issued it is in the accounts system and there is great difficulty ( rightly or wrongly with my opinion towards the latter ) to get it changed. I can only assume that a direct debit has lapsed on the account at some stage as a business customer would normally be required to have one in place or a reserve / deposit of €2000.

The "credit" though is normally achieved by putting in the correct reading for the next bill which reduces the amount - only if this is bigger than the bill for that month would any sort of refund be due.

The thing I am confused about is the "engineer" read it. Short of grabbing a random bord gais employee off the street and asking them to look at the meter I can't see why / how an engineer would have read the meter and I would also imagine this person had no procedure to update the reading / organise a credit.

Can't see them processing any cutting off until after the Easter break so I wouldn't be too concerned about it if you can't get through.

Advertisement