Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Ulsterbank Current account...

Options
  • 31-03-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

What causes the difference between "Balance" and "Available". I just opened a new account to replace my Halifax one, and I transferred over 10.00euro just to check it was all set.

For example, on the online statement screen if you had 10.00euro balance but 7.00euro available.

There are no pending transactions or direct debit or any other reason I can think of? Is there a minimum balance of 3.00 required or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

100gSoma wrote: »
    What causes the difference between "Balance" and "Available". I just opened a new account to replace my Halifax one, and I transferred over 10.00euro just to check it was all set.

For example, on the online statement screen if you had 10.00euro balance but 7.00euro available.

There are no pending transactions or direct debit or any other reason I can think of? Is there a minimum balance of 3.00 required or something?

It would mean there is something for 3euro coming out of the account. There is no minimum balance needed to maintain a current account open.

The pending transaction should show up the next day. If you need to know what it is before hand you branch can find out. Just give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Ok I rang them up to check. Apparently the 1.50euro transaction (to verify paypal) was followed by 3 x 1.00euro charges also by paypal.
    I asked the Ulsterbank customer agent were they fees or charges from UB, and she said no, nothing to do with us, its 3 x 1.00euro charges from paypal.
    Does anyone know if it costs 1.50euro + 3.00euro to confirm a paypal card?
    that seem a bit much.
    Not sure what to do next. email paypal I suppose. I thought it was only gonna be a 1.50charge. any of you UB debit card holders who confirmed your card with paypal have any similar situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

ok I rang paypal. they were very helpful.
    it turns out I tried to enter the visa card 3 times and was only successful on the 3rd attempt. I had forgotten this. The first line of the address has to be IDENTICAL to whats registered on the card. it was APTS and I was typing Apartments. anyway, it went through on the 3rd time hence the legit 1.50 charge. but the two failed attempts also 'allocated' charges of 1.50 each, although they won't be taken. Ulsterbank also allocated space for these 2 x 1.50 charges even though paypal won't be taking them now. so there is the missing 3.00euro.
    In a few days when paypal don't take them, the UB account will revert back to normal when the allocation times out. if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Clear as mud.... :-)

Advertisement