Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlanetX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Not a fan of the "920G" either.

"Hey, awesome frame, how much does it weigh?"

"Mmm, not sure...oh, hold on, it's emblazoned on the seat tube here, 920g apparently."

And a pimping gold chain! Could this be the road bike for premiership footballers to buy?

It looks really good though, pretty expensive and so far they haven't discounted the SL Pro which means they may not be replacing it after all and keeping it as a cheaper option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Not a fan of the "920G" either.

"Hey, awesome frame, how much does it weigh?"

"Mmm, not sure...oh, hold on, it's emblazoned on the seat tube here, 920g apparently."

If each frame was weighed and given an accurate sticker, that would be cool. Not cool is weighing the frame and finding that the number is wrong. That would bother me, a lot.

OTOH it has "nano" decals, which forgives everything.

For amusement value I'd rather it said "nano velocità leggera", since that's almost exactly 1kph in really shocking Italian, but maybe that's an upgrade for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

The price of the normal SL Pro Carbon increased as well? Now its £1199 with £25 shipping

• Advertisement

I prefer the classic "frame information on a small badge near the bottom bracket". As much as I like modern frames, some of the frame decals are tacky beyond belief. It's the cycling equivalent of an Audi with "S4" logos and bodykit on a 1.9TDI (I highlighted such a case to El Tonto a few weeks ago).

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    As much as I like modern frames, some of the frame decals are tacky beyond belief.

Cycling has always been tacky beyond belief. It's only stylish retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

I actually like it!
    Wont be changing my sl pro carbon just yet tho, best buy ever.

Come to think of it, yes, best purchase ever!!! Go PX!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

the best frame info stickers ar ethe ones done buy hand and signed!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Most of the prices on their site have gone up. Significantly so in some cases. However... they are supposed to be having a sale tomorrow, so maybe they are pulling a "Harvey Norman" and pumping up the prices to drop them again tomorrow, just so they can say was 439 (yesterday), now, 389 !!! (but was 399 the day before yesterday).

I was going to get a pro carbon SL in a size small for the missus but I noticed that they only take one bottle cage so thats a very firm no to that. Also they wouldn't sell me a carbon 82 front wheel on its own, so Planet X are officially in my bad books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Schwalbe Stelvio Raceguard Folding Tyre
    £34.99

1% off

wow nearly fell off my chair at that discount

Discounted SL Pro Carbons are now up. £335 for the frame.

Actually a bit annoyed at Planet-X, they have amazingly dropped their shipping charges too. I think it cost me about £40 to have a bike shipped, now it is only £15.

Although, there is no mention if this is the "frame and fork" deal they had before, if it isn't then it's not as good a deal.

If the fork isn't included for the SL Pro and the Stealth then its a complete rip off compared to what you would have paid 2 days ago (399 for SL Pro, frame fork and headset). Big April Fools day sale my hole.

Even the Pro Carbon 50 wheels have gone up in price. Tut tut Planet X. They should stick to decent bits at bargain bin prices, thats what they are good at and thats why people buy from them. A flashy (but still no better than an extremely poor college project) website, some fancy new logos etc... are not what people want to spend their money on. The new bike is overpriced as well, it is into a pricepoint where it is competing with some bigger name brands and thats not where planet X want to be.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    The new bike is overpriced as well, it is into a pricepoint where it is competing with some bigger name brands and thats not where planet X want to be.

Yup, the frame must be going to retail at around £800? Silly money for a branded open mould.

Indeed, seems like they are believing their own hype and losing contact with their target market. No doubt when the sales dry up they will see the error of their ways. Cheerio for now Planet X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Thekingofhearts

Hey guys just wondering if any of you ride these Planet-X's?

I know the group-set is good. But what about the basis of the Bike, Frame and Fork.

i have seen a few around. The aesthetics look kinda crappy to me, Colour scheme and putting the weight on the frame???

If you ask me, A bike that has to tell you how light it is has problems somewhere else.

Just my opinion please don't shoot me down.

The King

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Indeed, seems like they are believing their own hype and losing contact with their target market. No doubt when the sales dry up they will see the error of their ways. Cheerio for now Planet X.

You may be right, but I think Planet-X have done the work to establish a great reputation and are right to experiment with higher value kit.

I'd buy a Nano (at a discounted price, which I wouldn't expect in April) in spite of the crap review and the silly logos, purely on the strength of the trust that PX have earned with the two excellent bikes I've bought from them. I like the unpretentious image.

But I don't understand why they only do Rival and Red and not Force. That would be a problem for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I liked boards better when everyone had different bikes. There was something beautiful about that.
    On one of my first boards spins IIRC there was a lad on a blue PX. Never saw one previously. Looked beautiful.

Now they have become the Nissan Micra of bikes. Shame really.
    hopefully this will all calm down for a while.

Diversity is good.

As they say in "The Life of Brian" " we are all individuals"

ROK ON wrote: »
    I liked boards better when everyone had different bikes. There was something beautiful about that....Now they have become the Nissan Micra of bikes. Shame really.

Everyone does have different bikes, it's just that the PX owners are noisier. Even Blorg only has a small percentage of Planet-X in his collection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Lumen wrote: »
    Everyone does have different bikes, it's just that the PX owners are noisier. Even Blorg only has a small percentage of Planet-X in his collection.

So a better comparison might be the Toyota Starlet Glanza ... not as many about as the Micra, but fecking noisy and irritating as hell ...

The Micras, you just tend to ignore ... I would know .. I have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Lumen wrote: »
    You may be right, but I think Planet-X have done the work to establish a great reputation and are right to experiment with higher value kit.

I'd buy a Nano (at a discounted price, which I wouldn't expect in April) in spite of the crap review and the silly logos, purely on the strength of the trust that PX have earned with the two excellent bikes I've bought from them. I like the unpretentious image.

But I don't understand why they only do Rival and Red and not Force. That would be a problem for me.

A significant number of people would contest this "great reputation". People who own them of course wax lyrical about them however some would argue that the consistently bad reviews are consistently bad for a reason - both those blog and magazine, so the whole "they don't want to annoy their advertisers by saying these cheap bikes are great" doesn't cut it with me.

Pro and Steath? Very average frames (being nice) with very average wheels but great components would be my review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'd prefer one of these
    RIBBFRAR895_1_zoom.jpg

in fact i would have bought a sportive racing last year if it wasnt for the supply delays (v happy with the focus)

BUT my parents live in yorkshire so i'm round there a bit more often (i could pick it up, but got to trash the focus before justifying another bike)

oh and i always wanted a ribble bike from reading cycling weekly as a kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

tunney wrote: »
    Pro and Steath? Very average frames (being nice)
    You don't hear many criticisms from owners, only people who don't own one. You have to remember the price of the frame. What else is there at that pricepoint? For an entry-level carbon frame there isn't much better IMO. And many owners (including myself) own or owned a variety of other in many cases higher-end bikes, so it's not as if we don't have anything to compare against. The Planet X is not the best bike in the world, but it probably is at that pricepoint.
    with very average wheels but great components would be my review.
    Cervelo spec the P3 with Shimano WH-R500 wheels. The idea is you keep the price down and the buyer can replace with whatever wheels they like. I'd take Planet X Model B wheels over R500s incidentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

blorg wrote: »
    You don't hear many criticisms from owners, only people who don't own one. You have to remember the price of the frame. What else is there at that pricepoint? For an entry-level carbon frame there isn't much better IMO. And many owners (including myself) own or owned a variety of other in many cases higher-end bikes, so it's not as if we don't have anything to compare against. The Planet X is not the best bike in the world, but it probably is at that pricepoint.

Cervelo spec the P3 with Shimano WH-R500 wheels. The idea is you keep the price down and the buyer can replace with whatever wheels they like. I'd take Planet X Model B wheels over R500s incidentally.

Sorry regarding the wheels I was talking about their own brand wheels - particularly the deep section wheels.

I've hated the PXs I've ridden.

I can see the attraction of a PX to some. For some its very important to have an Ultegra sticker on their rear derailleur and be able to say "I have a carbon fibre bike."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

that Ribble Gran Fondo is a "a bit much".

As for 920G decals, now that is naff, particularly as it only applies to the XS size. In no time CF frames at that weight will be considered relatively heavy so proabably not a great idea to have it such a prominent part of their frame branding. They might as well have stickers saying "Mediocre".

Spotted this evening, looked well I must say

Img_8558x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Out of interest what did you hate about the PX bike when you tried it? Now, I do have a PX myself and cannot fault it - but I am very new to this sport so I I dont think I would know what a bad frame / bike felt like. Just interested to hear what makes a bad bike / bad frame etc in your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

anoble66 wrote: »
    Out of interest what did you hate about the PX bike when you tried it? Now, I do have a PX myself and cannot fault it - but I am very new to this sport so I I dont think I would know what a bad frame / bike felt like. Just interested to hear what makes a bad bike / bad frame etc in your opinion.
    my planet x was the best bit of cycling gear i ever bought. bulletproof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

Sorry regarding the wheels I was talking about their own brand wheels - particularly the deep section wheels.

I've hated the PXs I've ridden.

I can see the attraction of a PX to some. For some its very important to have an Ultegra sticker on their rear derailleur and be able to say "I have a carbon fibre bike."

PX wheels (notebaly the deep sections) may not be as Aero or quite as light Zipps or similar, but what do you expect for less than half the price??

Re :The stealth (obviously my opinion is biased as I am an owner) - what other race spec TT bike is an option in that particular price bracket???

Out of interest - What is you main reason behind your 'hatred' of all the PX's you've ridden??

Not everybody has the cash to drop on a Cervelo and Zipps especially if they are only getting into the sport chief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

anoble66 wrote: »
    I too would be interested in this, particularly if Tunney has a better idea for a TT bike under €1,500 (as I am hovering on pulling the trigger on a PX myself.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Doesn't every cycling forum have a PX basher? Cheap, generic, flexy, inferior carbon, etc. We PX owners should have purchased an alu Cannondale equipped with Tiagra. My favourite detractor is HarryB on Tritalk http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=986122 (maybe he works for PX to keep PX topics hot!) The PX is a good VFM product which many people enjoy and write good reviews for, nobody claims that they are the best bikes in the world.

My rear derailleur says Dura Ace:D

Advertisement