Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off Ireland alive & kicking at LIDL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The first rule of selling is something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

The 'yoke'(pond filtering thing) was 79.99 in the North but they took 25 pounds off it and are now selling it for 49.99.

I can only assume the reason they reduced it in the UK but didnt reduce it here is because people weren't buying it in the UK for 79.99 sterling, whereas people were buying it here in the Republic for 109.99 euro.

If people didnt pay 109.99 then lidl wouldn't sell it at that. They would do what they did in the North which is reduce the price.

However, unfortunately, since Aldi and Lidl arrived to our shores Irish people have started buying things they dont really need, just because it is(or seems like) a good deal in Aldi.

Like that Ad I remember a while back on the radio for Spar or Superquinn or something taking the piss out of Laldi where the your man goes in and buys a 4 man dinghy despite living 100 miles from the sea and being afraid of water.

The original price in the UK was 79.99 which is about 89 euro(todays exchange rate). Add differences in Vat and Operating costs in Ireland of about 12% and the cost goes up to 99.68. Its not a million miles from the 109 that they are selling it for in the Republic.

If you really want a pond filtering thing go to a well known aquatics retailer and ask for a quote. Dont get one in aldi.

Thats my 2 cents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why this enormous markup

Lidl have a freephone number, ring them and ask.

Advertisement