Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] A dead tree. In a field. In Wales. Some clouds too.

• 31-03-2010 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

If any of you have been listening to me bitch and whine on Twitter you'll know that I've been entirely dissatisfied with my output of images...but in this image I think I nailed exactly what I want out of a photograph. The conversion, grain, composition, sky and silhouette are all exactly what I want. I know that I have posted several similar images from my trip to Wales, but this exact photograph is the one where I nailed what I want.

Go wild on it:

20100330224813_090.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Nice shot but tree is in the direct centre and then I look away. Nothing holds my attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

+1 for thread title "some clouds too"

:D

Oh the image....I like the bleakness but I'd still move the tree slightly to the right, I know you probably know this but prefer the centre, maybe slightly dark in the hills but again I believe you knew this and have displayed exactly what you wanted.
    I'd have liked to see a few different versions of BW conversions of this picture, not saying this wouldn't be the best but I'd like to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Fenster wrote: »
    If any of you have been listening to me bitch and whine on Twitter you'll know that I've been entirely dissatisfied with my output of images...
    Don't we all?

I think I spend more time criticizing myself than I do anything else.
    Isn't it the only way to improve?

Anyway...

Over all I like this shot. Its simple, well framed and dramatic.

The only way, IMHO, that it could be improved is by being able to see a bit more of the bark and if hill on the left wasn't completely in shadow.

Even with that I could imagine it hanging on the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be interested to see one without vignetting, assuming that was PPed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Really like it, do think maybe less contrast or more shadow detail on the tree might make it more three dimensional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

I like it,i wouldn'nt move it to the left or right.Its well framed between the mountains. As for PP its not bad,cant really offer advice on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

i'd be interested to see one without vignetting, assuming that was PPed in.

The vignette was in-camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

nailed it.

(the title might be a bit long but does that count as c&c? :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Excellent. Well, if you could photoshop a naked woman into that picture... ;)

Or a swan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

What about a naked swan woman? To the Digital Art forum!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

The rule of thirds is indelibly scorched into my brain. This is a photo that breaks the rule , and still works. As an earlier poster said, I'd try bring up a little detail on the hill on the left hand side so it matches the right..ie aim for symmetry. Also it might work to darken the right hand side so it matches the left.
    Generally I think vignetting as hackneyed but here it works as it leads my eye into the centre.

Is it cropped? If so, what would it look like if it was a little wider (but keep the symmetry & the tree in the centre?

-FoxT

PS how did your proposition to the gallery work out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I'll have some film IR swans processed I'll sell you next week ;)

Advertisement