Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lense stuck (i.e. wont zoom)

• 31-03-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

OK well i took the camera out today for the first time this year :o

anyway - the 17-85mm canon kit lense is 'stuck' and wont zoom in or out. all my gear is kept well wrapped in a nice lowe pro bag in an area of my home that is never tampered with by anyone.

has anyone ever come across this before ?? i have a sigma lense with a 'lock' to stop lense creep - its as if something like this is on the lense - but the 17-85 doesn't have such a thing.

i've a lot of gear a couple of years now and this is the first time i've damaged anything

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Jiggle it. I have the problem with my own 17-85 and have had it reported it to me by a third user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I had the same problem six months ago, the problem arises from a single internal screw coming loose and hindering the lens from zooming, so forcing it wont help.

Your going to need some jewellers screwdrivers

''It seems like this is a common problem with these lenses, the zoom gets stuck at 17mm with about 2mm of play (zoom movement). This problem is all due to a loose single screw on the inner lens assembly, sounds simple to fix, doesn’t it?''

''The challenge is trying to get to this single screw, which involves the separation of the lens into over 10 components, and the removal of about 20 small screws. Hopefully this guide will make the disassembly job a whole lot easier''

http://thydzik.com/canon-efs-17-85mm-is-stucklocked-zoom-repairdisassembly/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I had the same problem six months ago, the problem arises from a single internal screw coming loose and hindering the lens from zooming, so forcing it wont help.

Your going to need some jewellers screwdrivers

''It seems like this is a common problem with these lenses, the zoom gets stuck at 17mm with about 2mm of play (zoom movement). This problem is all due to a loose single screw on the inner lens assembly, sounds simple to fix, doesn’t it?''

''The challenge is trying to get to this single screw, which involves the separation of the lens into over 10 components, and the removal of about 20 small screws. Hopefully this guide will make the disassembly job a whole lot easier''

http://thydzik.com/canon-efs-17-85mm-is-stucklocked-zoom-repairdisassembly/

I've gots to try me this - thank you for sharing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

the zoom gets stuck at 17mm with about 2mm of play

thats it exactly.

thanks.

very disappointed. this lense has had very little use as i primarily use a sigma 24-70 F2.8.

bought it on-line as part of a kit though so no point trying to send it back to hong kong!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Your welcome :o
    All Canon had to do originally was glue down that tiny screw and they would have saved so many people heartache.
    My 17-85 is still lying in a box half disassembled, I must get back to sorting it. I ended up having to get the screwdrivers on e-bay as some of them are really small. The likes of B&Q didn't have suitable ones, I'm sure a good electronics supplies store like Peats in Dublin would have suitable ones though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Well your zoom lens may be broken, but you've just gained a prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

wersal, how old is the lens? is it covered by warrenty?

If not and its an old one I use a local guy for all my film equipment. he is very good and can fix most things. One of these guys with a garage load of parts fixing things for 20 quit here and there. I sent my house mate to him and he fixed his old lens plus an old camera of his.
    PM me if you need his details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

thanks Dara,

where is that chap based ? dublin ?

i've no intention of taking the lense apart myself as set out in that earlier link - i can just about change the brake pads, oil and spark plugs on a bike - i tend to use a lot of 'persuasion' in any DIY i attempt, a little fidgity job like that would not suit me at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

yea, he is based around Raheny, just at the edge of St Anne's Park. PM me if you want his details as I will have to go rummaging as I cant find his number on my phone for some reason :)

Advertisement