Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of sync speeds should i be getting?

• 31-03-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭

According to vodafone, I am only able to get 2mb for about 2 months now, even though for the past 2 years that im with vodafone i was able to get 3mb.
    Are vodafone screwing me over?
    I know that my line is capable of 5mb.
    I will attach a screenshot of the sync speeds and the max speeds that im able to get, along with the Attenuation and Noise Margin.
    Who should i complain and shout at? Vodafone or Eircom for not grading my line correctly?
    Alot of feedback would be greatly appreachated as i want to put a formal complaint to Vodafone and Eircom for not allowing me to get the speeds that i know im able to get.
    I also want to know, is that in your opinion, what sync speeds should i able to get according to the screenshot. Im absolutely pissed off.
    I live in the Ballina area, Co.Mayo

dslproof3.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Based on that attenuation, close to 4 megs at most.

Edit: I'm wrong, I misread the stats, the upstream attenuation is strangely high. The down attenuation is good for 11 megs on ADSL2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Looks like youve been moved to a 2mb package.

The line stats there suggest you would be able to sustain a 3mb connection, if you take -2db off the noise margin you would be in and around 8/9db downstream. As example i hover around 6.9/7 db on 3mb on eircom and only have occasional disconnects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭PatL23

Spear wrote: »
    Based on that attenuation, close to 4 megs at most.

Edit: I'm wrong, I misread the stats, the upstream attenuation is strangely high. The down attenuation is good for 11 megs on ADSL2.

Thank you for the reply, Any idea why the upstream attenuation is so high? Or how i might sort it out?, I always though that it looked odd compared to the downstream.
    Cryos wrote: »
    Looks like youve been moved to a 2mb package.

The line stats there suggest you would be able to sustain a 3mb connection, if you take -2db off the noise margin you would be in and around 8/9db downstream. As example i hover around 6.9/7 db on 3mb on eircom and only have occasional disconnects.

Can an ISP reset a noise margin? Or is it something that i can change myself?

Iv lost count on how many times that iv rang Vodafone to sort out my speeds, they have said that my line isnt capable of 3mb, Then i talked to a nice helpful fella called DataDaz and he told me that Eircom would have to do a re-grade for me to get higher speeds.
    How would i go about getting them to re-grade it? Complain? Log a fault?
    Or should i get on to the customer support and get them to put me on to their supervisors-supervisor:confused:

Thanks for the quick replys, what a great community.:D

Advertisement