Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troublesome landlord...please advise :(

Options
  • 31-03-2010 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi so basically Im renting a house here in Dublin for 400 a month,which is a bit overpriced in my opinion but thats my problem for taking it. Basically Ive been here since the start of december paid 400 deposit etc. I go home every weekend,dont like Dublin but basically I came back Sunday after Paddys day weekend to find a hot water bottle in my bed..whats the problem you ask? I dont have a hot water bottle!
    The landlords daughter is the caretaker of the house and lives here too and I found out it was her friend that stayed in my room,her friend used to live here and texted me apologising but I dont think thats good enough,her boyfriend apologised too but none from the the landlords daughter (and before you say anything about locking doors we have no locks!!)
    So basically after this I said to myself I was moving out so the next day I found a place an paid deposit. I went home told her I was moving out at the end of next week,giving her two weeks notice and considering we have no lease and what happened I thought this was fair? Also her friend moved out at the end of feb after goving a months notice and their was still no effort to try get someone new in...so would my two weeks have made a difference?
    Anyway Im due to move out tomorrow and asked her about my deposit,basically I paid 400 and was willing to pay 70 for a months bills which is overly fair on my part so I was expecting 330 back,but she told me I can have 130 tomorro or wait two weeks and get 330?
    She has just bought a house and were hoping to be out by now or next week so im guessing I have more of a chance of seeing the next millenium than getting 330 off her,im guessing she hasnt told her dad why im moving out either or Im sure he would make a better offer.
    So can anyone advise me what options I have? do i have any legally? or who can I report them to...or what should I do? please advise. Sorry admin if I posted this in the wrong area...feel free to move it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

If i might summerize.

Someone slept in your bed without your permission and you decided to move out immediatly. You are concerned you might not get your deposit back because you have been told you will get it back in 2 weeks.

1)It is out of line to sleep in someoned bed without express permission.However personally i think your reaction is a bit OTT to move out immediatly unless it was the last straw or something.

2)You cannot complain to PRTB. You are a licenee of a landlord and are not covered. You can take them to court if they dont pay the deposit back but thats about it. Actually, im a little unclear, does the landlord live there or not? If the landlord doesnt then complain to the PRTB. However i will tell you that a reasonable time for the deposit to be returned is considered and thats about a month from my experience.

3)Normally it would be expected to give the same notice period as the rent you pay.I dont think it is unreasonable to be asked to wait 2 weeks to get the deposit back.

Why not take the 130 now and take 200 in 2 weeks? If you are really concerned then take a post dated cheque. You know where they live after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ive been in accomodations where tennants went as far as to buy their own doorknobs, with associated Locks.

I also was not this tennant, and the other one broke into my ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Turkleton

Thanks for your reply agent J

Yes I agree it seems OTT but it was a last straw kind of situation.

The landlord doesnt live there it is his daughter who stays there rent free as caretaker and it was her that let her friend stay in my room.

If im paying 400e for a room noone should be in there full stop never mind sleeping there!!

Also that wasnt an option it is either 130 tomorrow or 330 in a few weeks.
    And she bought a house a few weeks ago so she was exopecting to be moved this week so she could very well be gone in which case I dont know where she lives.

I agree in normal circumstances you give your months notice and get your deposit back then but this is not normal and she is 100% in the wrong...two weeks is long enough to get daddy to transfer money.

How feasible is it to say this to her tomorrow that I want my 330 if not get the guards file a complaint,get a police report and take her/her father to small claims? Im assuming they would both be liable as she is caretaker?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Turkleton, I've moved your thread from PI to Accomodation & Property, you should hopefully get more advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Gardai will say its a civil matter( thats a guess btw)

Small claims shouldnt cover this. If the landlord doesnt live there then its a PRTB matter.

www.prtb.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,765 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well im sure you have some sort of bank record.

i hope you have some sort of bank record.

You need to be able to prove in a civil court that you had a 400e deposit and they have to explain why you didnt get it.

It is a civil matter. Its not something the Gards are charged with handling.
    She has just bought a house and were hoping to be out by now or next week so im guessing I have more of a chance of seeing the next millenium than getting 330 off her,im guessing she hasnt told her dad why im moving out either or Im sure he would make a better offer.
    Well then thats simple isnt it? Shes the Caretaker not the landlord. You just tell her that she can give you the 330 or you will just go over her head, having to explain the whole thing to the landlord (her father)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

YOU are a tenant, you are entitled to a lock on your room, ask, can i buy a lock, get a handyman 2fit it.See northside people, ads , handyman.Take it from the rent.Cost lock,15 euro, labour 25euro.you are entitled to privacy and security.Theres no point in going to the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

ricman wrote: »
    YOU are a tenant, you are entitled to a lock on your room, ask, can i buy a lock, get a handyman 2fit it.See northside people, ads , handyman.Take it from the rent.Cost lock,15 euro, labour 25euro.you are entitled to privacy and security.Theres no point in going to the garda.
    they broke the rules
    you are entitled to be told before
    another thing, you would not have known but for hat water bottle, do you know if your bed was used every weekend by her friends so
    you should not have to wait for your money, nor would you have to give a months notice due to that incident,
    invasion of privacy,
    you should have been told that they were entring your room, as it is a rule

Thanks for all the advice guys, I know it would be a civil matter but would getting a police statement with the whole story from everyone not just make it an open and shut case or have I been watching too much Judge Judy?

That is the exact angle im coming from Goat I dont know if it has been going on every week,it's a whole privacy issue like they could be in there all the time now for all I know..I doubt it but now I cant be sure.

Also about the bank records,the deposit and first months rent were paid in cash however i checked my bank statement and on the day I moved in and the day after there are two separate withdrawals of 400e so that should suffice as I would have no other reason to take them out and it was done at an atm near the house too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Agent J wrote: »
    Someone slept in your bed without your permission and you decided to move out immediatly. You are concerned you might not get your deposit back because you have been told you will get it back in 2 weeks.

1)It is out of line to sleep in someoned bed without express permission.However personally i think your reaction is a bit OTT to move out immediatly unless it was the last straw or something.

Thats pretty creepy and inconsiderate. If thats whats happening right at the beginning, it will only get worse. IMHO the OP is absolutely right to get out fast. Thats way out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put the landlords number on speed-dial.

Ask her for the full €400.

If she says no, whip out the phone, and ring her daddy by speed-dial there and then.

Tell the landlord that you're not paying €400 a month for his daughters friends to use your room when you're not there, and you'll goto PTRB to get the deposit back if needs be.

Advertisement