Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer PC repair beware

Options
  • 31-03-2010 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Got an Acer PC from P/city for Xmas. Faulty on/off switch problem, arrange collection to Repair centre (Banbridge) Waited approx 3 weeks and decided to unravel the web link for R o I customers . Banbridge centre are not helpful and refer to E address (Plymouth U.K). Rang the numbers and get India help desk ! Waited about 10 more days (31 in total now) Was told I am entitled to replacement machine as it's in excess of 30 days.. Rang about 2/3 days later to be told my complaint had just been escalated and the 30 days doesn't start ,,,so have to wait a further 3 working days , in order to give them a chance to "fix" PC. Worst of all this was a Christmas Present (gone bad now). Do not buy ACER .Do not rely on Acer customer service or Helpline.(ironic) SORRY 'bout long msg ! :mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Why isn't Power City dealing with your problem, so that you don't have to ring up the whole world yourself?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Why isn't Power City dealing with your problem, so that you don't have to ring up the whole world yourself?:confused:

i think the retailer only has obligation if it goes tits up under 30 days

faulty power switches can be replaced by novice pc techs in under 5 mins for about 5 quid

imo: Acers have always been ****e had a tower back in the 90's the cd drive went out and they wanted 200 for a replacement i think i ended up buyin one for 40-50 and cut the faceplate off the old one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

That's the way p/city operate, any issue and you take it up with the manufacturer, most shops like that.
    My Acer aspire working fine but then I got it cheap, will trade it in a year or so if it don't break before then. Will stay with a cheap brand and model, that way not fussed if it breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

i think the retailer only has obligation if it goes tits up under 30 days

Not true I'm afraid. The retailer should be your point of contact for this issue. That is where your contract for purchase is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Acer=bad, Do not buy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

dudara wrote: »
    Not true I'm afraid. The retailer should be your point of contact for this issue. That is where your contract for purchase is.

True, but they will only send it to..... Acer, so then you now have another delay while they contact them.

Fecked if you do and fecked if you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I've had my acer for a couple of months now (7535G), and it's running fantastically.

I wouldn't make a presumption on the brand name from a faulty switch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Acer always did have a brutal repair/warranty service. I have had plenty of experience myself dealing with Acer units from working in retail.

IMO, always a very important thing to consider when purchasing items such as laptops is how reliable the repair/warranty service is, some manufactures are much better than others. Dell from my experience are years ahead of any other manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Acer always did have a brutal repair/warranty service. I have had plenty of experience myself dealing with Acer units from working in retail.

IMO, always a very important thing to consider when purchasing items such as laptops is how reliable the repair/warranty service is, some manufactures are much better than others. Dell from my experience are years ahead of any other manufacturer.

I have to laugh at that, I had extended warranty with dell on a 3 year plan, the trouble they gave me when anything ever broke. Hours of diagnosing would never just take the bloody laptop and fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

accer always give u the most hardware for the lowest price
    they do skimp on after sales care thouogh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

I also sent back an acer laptop that failed and it took 2 months to get it back. In saying that ive used acer for years and never had a problem before and always found them fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kiri

P/city don't have on site PC repair and give a phone number for courier collection.etc etc .
    I Emailed P/city last night and recieved a call this morning from a very helpful man , who agreed I got the short end of the stick and promised to sort this out asap and apologised for a very poor experience overall.
    I suppose P/city are in it for the long haul and don't need a third party jerking their custommers around. 10/10 for P/city. Watch this space !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Unfortunately the after sales service with many of the manufactures is slow and ofter non-satisfactory. Quite often the laptop/Pc has to be returned a few times and ultimately replaced.

I find it hard to recommend any aftersales service as I've heard disaster stories with them all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kiri

:) Mr P/city gave me a full credit for the x3812 Acer (nearly 500 u ro), so cut my losses (word @ 100u ro) So 100% get out of jail away from Sp/acer:mad: check the blogs you have been warned. adios

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Kiri wrote: »
    :) Mr P/city gave me a full credit for the x3812 Acer (nearly 500 u ro), so cut my losses (word @ 100u ro) So 100% get out of jail away from Sp/acer:mad: check the blogs you have been warned. adios

:confused: What was that about?

Advertisement