Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pasta connundrum

Options
  • 31-03-2010 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

How come that the exact same dish ...pasta and some sauce from a glass ...tastes differently depending what type of pasta you use?

Spaghetti, fusilli, penne ...the ingredients are the same, they just have different shapes ...yet they taste different.

Explain, per favore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's to do with the shape of the pasta, depending on the shape you will get differing ratio of pasta:sauce. This is why there are different pasta shapes, certain pasta shapes are good for certain sauces due to sauce consistency. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I see this was moved from AH to the "proper forum" ...ah well :D

I wasn't actually looking for real answers (thanks anyway, Gordon :D), so mods feel free to delete if you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Em...how much mileage or jokes did you think you'd get from that question?
    Don't get me wrong, pasta is a laugh riot and the way you said sauce from a glass was a real chuckle but em....yeeah..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 barby_

In Italy we have more than 100 shapes of pasta. Sometime it's made by durum sticksm wheat flour or durum wheat semolina, other times by buckwheat flour and water, eggs and vegetable extracts.
    Long, thin, rounded pasta (like vermicelli or spaghetti) go best with oily sauces, while short chunky pasta, go best with cream-based sauces, like white cream, besciamella, bolognese sauce. The taste vary accordingly to the shape and the ingredients used to make the pasta itself.

I would recommend you to have a look at this Yahoo page:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/food/what-pasta-goes-with-what-sauce-1237285/

I am getting hungry now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

Gordon wrote: »
    It's to do with the shape of the pasta, depending on the shape you will get differing ratio of pasta:sauce. This is why there are different pasta shapes, certain pasta shapes are good for certain sauces due to sauce consistency. I think.
    I am not convinced this is actually true, but it sounds like a good reason.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement