Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on how to deal with new client - financial and professional aspects

Options
  • 31-03-2010 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've designed one website in the last few years and ever since I have been thinking that maybe I need to think more carefully this time about how to charge.

Somebody is going to call me in the next few days to discuss getting a new website setup. The way I do things currently is with a developer that I have met on the net. I work in a different area of IT now and have not kept up to date with web techologies in general or programming/development of them.

Thus in dealing with the client should he have any very technical questions I may not have the correct technical answer though I will have a good enough idea of what's required to be a quality middleman. In my opinion a person with no experience in anything web related would not be able to complete a successful project with one of these foreign developers on their own - this is something I'm very good at and have done this with the last private project I've worked on. The client was extremely happy and the project has made his business look very professional on the web.

May I point out aswell actually that I worked in graphic design for a few years and am v. good at this aspect - I find most of the foreign services available are poor in this area. I will be doing the design myself.

I'm wondering if I should explain to him how I work upfront initally. If he is relatively in the know he will probably detect it anyway and may assume that I'm not being up front with him. On the other hand he might be thinking if I do tell him why is this guy going to all this trouble to explain his work process when I didn't even ask.

Also I know this depends on the clients requirements but what is an overall standard price for a simple brochure type website indicating who the company is, details on services they provide including pictures and contact forms possibly. Just looking for a roundabout figure although I will try my best to make sure that it's somehow tied into some sort of reasonable hourly rate. What is a reasonable hourly rate given that I'm not working at this day to day professionally - however it's highly likely that my developer is - haven't questioned him on this but I know that he is very good with high standards for his work.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Why do you think it is necessary to explain to him how you work? All that is going to do is complicate matters unnecessarily, I'd only explain it to him if he asks.

You're not expected to know about every aspect of the process unless you are actually doing the project solo, if you are working with someone else you're more than entitled to say to the person commissioning the site that you don't know the answer to a question but will check up on it for them.

Regarding price, it's impossible to say without knowing your standard of work.

Advertisement