Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions about joining AGS?

• 31-03-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I'm looking a joining AGS in a years time, whenever a recruitment drive begins. I'm currently finishing up in college after a three year BA (Hons) in Law and have some experience working in the Security industry part-time, and have completed the ISO 999:2004 Standard. While I know there's probably some who would kill for the opportunity, I don't really want to go onto King's Inn and was considering AGS as a job with practical work where I could still make use of the degree.

However, I'm wondering what the new requirements I've heard about will affect me, namely:
    a) Certification of ability to swim
    I can swim fairly well and learned at a young age, but where or how does someone get certified? Can it be done before applying?
    b) Certification in first aid
    Not too complicated, should be able to get that no bother.
    c) Certification in manual handling
    No idea why this is required. FAS do courses in it I think, but I don't think I'm eligible to do it that way.
    d) Holder of a full Irish driving licence
    No bother.
    e) Certified holder of a European computer driving licence (ECDL) (or higher information technology certification)
    Could get it in my sleep considering I can do plenty of other things with a PC.
    f) Have a minimum of 140 CAO points"
    Not a problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Scan Man wrote: »
    I'm looking a joining AGS in a years time, whenever a recruitment drive begins. I'm currently finishing up in college after a three year BA (Hons) in Law and have some experience working in the Security industry part-time, and have completed the ISO 999:2004 Standard. While I know there's probably some who would kill for the opportunity, I don't really want to go onto King's Inn and was considering AGS as a job with practical work where I could still make use of the degree.

However, I'm wondering what the new requirements I've heard about will affect me, namely:

I can swim fairly well and learned at a young age, but where or how does someone get certified? Can it be done before applying?
    No idea why this is required. FAS do courses in it I think, but I don't think I'm eligible to do it that way.
    No bother.
    Could get it in my sleep considering I can do plenty of other things with a PC.Not a problem.

so you have answered all the questions above, so what exactly are you askin:cool::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

Sorry wasn't firing on all cylinders tonight. I was mainly wondering wondering where the Certifications in Swimming are going to come from?

And, when these changes are due to come into effect?

Sorry wasn't firing on all cylinders tonight. I was mainly wondering wondering where the Certifications in Swimming are going to come from?

And, when these changes are due to come into effect?

well personally i think the best way around that is do a lifesaving course and be certified that way.. but other people may have different ideas on it, also no one knows when and if these things are going to come into effect because at present they are only recommendations at the moment and no formal annoucements have been made:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

I have a certificate for the 25 yard breaststroke!!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

I have a certificate for the 25 yard breaststroke!!

:)

Da_Flash is right.
    They are only recommendations, read the other threads and you'll find out what people here know....which isnt really a whole lot as I dont think anybody in HQ even knows yet.....
    All you can do is wait till announcements are made to what they will enforce to know exactly what certs you need.
    Otherwise you can use your time and do every course and probably spend a fortune getting loads of certs to do the same thing and then find out they'll not be needed

• Advertisement

itsallgood wrote: »
    Da_Flash is right.

someone said i m right:eek: this is by far the proudest moment of my life:D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 paddykc

No bother.
    Could get it in my sleep considering I can do plenty of other things with a PC.Not a problem.

Do a safe pass to get manual handling training..... one day course costs around 100 eur to complete....
    I am going to have a problem with the lifesaving cert as I can barely swim so if anyone knows the bear minimum you can do for a cert that would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

paddykc wrote: »
    Do a safe pass to get manual handling training..... one day course costs around 100 eur to complete....
    I am going to have a problem with the lifesaving cert as I can barely swim so if anyone knows the bear minimum you can do for a cert that would be appreciated.

PADDY, nobody knows, noone can answer that.......
    they are only RECOMMENDATIONS

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

paddykc wrote: »
    Do a safe pass to get manual handling training..... .
    safe pass is not the same as manual handling. I know this because I worked safety admin on sites and they are not the same thing. Just mentioning it so people won't waste their money but as it is said before these 'new requirements' are only recommendations at the minute

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 kovu24

HI guys new to this so please forgive me if i make any mistakes, i am just wondering can you join AGS if you have an offence for driving with no insurance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement