Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

engine warning light

• 31-03-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help please,

Ive a problem with my 03 1.4 focus,
    Last week i got the timing belt changed and full service done/
    Since then ive noticed after a few mins of driving the oil temp gauge on the dash keep going into the red and this evening on the motorway the engine coolant warning light came on for a while and then went away after about 5 - 10 mins. First time ive seen this happen so worried now. when i stopped i checked the coolant level in the engine bay and it seems fine/

anyone know what could be wrong? like i said this never happened before lst weeks service so did they break something?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Did they replace the water pump when the belt was replaced...??
    If so the system maybe airlocked...i would bring it back to them and tell them its not right since they fitted the timing belt....Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Your 03 Focus has an oil temp gauge? do you mean low oil pressure warning light?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭omega666

Row wrote: »
    Did they replace the water pump when the belt was replaced...??
    If so the system maybe airlocked...i would bring it back to them and tell them its not right since they fitted the timing belt....Best of luck.

yeah, they fitted a new water pump/ im just praying its not going to cost a fortune to fix and the timing belt/service cleaned me out!

barney 20v wrote: »
    Your 03 Focus has an oil temp gauge? do you mean low oil pressure warning light?

i could be wrong but i think its the temp gauge.
    i mean the small dial on the left side beside the rev counter dial/
    the warning light that comes is beside the dial and is the engine engine coolant
    warning light.

http://www.bba-reman.com/images/FORD_Focus3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

omega666 wrote: »
    i could be wrong but i think its the temp gauge.
    i mean the small dial on the left side beside the rev counter dial/
    the warning light that comes is beside the dial and is the engine engine coolant
    warning light.

http://www.bba-reman.com/images/FORD_Focus3.jpg

the gauge on the left of the rev counter is your engine water/coolant temp gauge..i'm am guessing the warning light is either you engine management light or the oil light. if it looks like the oil light i'd not be driving that car again before checking your oil levels.

• Advertisement

barney 20v wrote: »
    the gauge on the left of the rev counter is your engine water/coolant temp gauge..i'm am guessing the warning light is either you engine management light or the oil light. if it looks like the oil light i'd not be driving that car again before checking your oil levels.

yeah your right, the dial im talking about is is the engine coolant temp not oil temp,
    the warning light is the transmission/coolant system also

ithe coolant reservoir is filled up to the max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

omega666 wrote: »
    ithe coolant reservoir is filled up to the max.

Can you see any circulation of coolent or bubbles when cap is off coolent reservoir ...maybe check it when the engine is cold...:)

Row wrote: »
    Can you see any circulation of coolent or bubbles when cap is off coolent reservoir ...maybe check it when the engine is cold...:)

update on this, took the car back to garage last week and the guy there
    said it might have been airlocked and played around with it for 20 mins.
    On the way home the same problem happened. But Now the engine management light is on full time also.

Because of bank holiday weekend left the car and didnt drive it anymore until i could get it back into the garage. was booked back into the garage today and when i tried to start the car it woulnt even start so they had to come and tow it. Guys ring me and says the termostat need to be replaced
    and it going to cost 70 quid. Then ring me again and says they want to keep the car in overnight to make sure the problem is gone.

ive been without a car for nearly a week now and its costing me another 70 quid at least so pretty pissed off.

Being honest and not knowing a lot about cars does this sound right or are they taking the me for a ride and possibly ****ed up the timing belt/water pump change ? the car was perfect before i dropped it in. :(

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Speak to the manager. Since the fault happened because of what the mechanic did you shouldn't pay, imo. Most places will give a little warranty on their work in case it didn't fix the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

That's a nasty story... and without seeing the car or reading the KAM code it's hard to guess what the problem but I'm guessing when the timing belt was installed possibly the intake camshaft is a tooth out of aligmnent..

How is the car driving other than the high temp? the car could be running really lean...

Also, one quick check is to see if there are any loose conectors/wire dangling not connected... eg the oxygen/lamda sensor?

If the internal car heater is switched on does it blow hot air?

Cheers,
    CarMuppet

• Advertisement

CarMuppet wrote: »
    That's a nasty story... and without seeing the car or reading the KAM code it's hard to guess what the problem but I'm guessing when the timing belt was installed possibly the intake camshaft is a tooth out of aligmnent..

How is the car driving other than the high temp? the car could be running really lean...

Also, one quick check is to see if there are any loose conectors/wire dangling not connected... eg the oxygen/lamda sensor?

If the internal car heater is switched on does it blow hot air?

Cheers,
    CarMuppet

not sure about the other stuff but before i took it back to the garage the first time the heater was working just barely. after he said it was airlocked and played around with it for 20 mins the heater did come back to full power.

i dont think i should have to pay for this. and also why are they keeping it
    until tomorrow if just replacing the thermostat should fix the problem.

Advertisement