Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SNOW REPORT PLEASE?

• 31-03-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

Weather looks nice for tomorrow and was hoping to go up Sally Gap from Laragh and Glenmacnass. Any snow? Saw on newspaper that it was closed yesterday due snowfall...

If closed, anyone got a suggestion for an 80km jaunt from Bray/Greystones?

Anyone around tomorrow afternoon and wanna join up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

The latest weather reports that I've been hearing are that Sally and Wicklow gaps are closed. Perhaps lowlands? Do a lap of Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

ckeego wrote: »
    Weather looks nice for tomorrow and was hoping to go up Sally Gap from Laragh and Glenmacnass. Any snow? Saw on newspaper that it was closed yesterday due snowfall...

Might head out in the morning bout 10 if interested ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

May take a quick spin up towards the wicklow gap tomorrow evening in the car to check it for a saturday spin. From the town it still looks snow covered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

ckeego wrote: »

I don't get it.

Why is it that whenever there is snow or dodgy weather of any kind, do people, and it's been on the news for days, graduate to Sally Gap etc. hoping to break they're necks on dodgy descents or go for the frostbite option?
    Apparently it's been snowing and Le Gap was closed yesterday.
    Can ya not wait for the snow to clear?
    What about next weekend?
    Why not leave it for a few weeks till the weather warms up?

I just don't get it, honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Planet X wrote: »
    I don't get it.

Why is it that whenever there is snow or dodgy weather of any kind, do people, and it's been on the news for days, graduate to Sally Gap etc. hoping to break they're necks on dodgy descents or go for the frostbite option?
    Apparently it's been snowing and Le Gap was closed yesterday.
    Can ya not wait for the snow to clear?
    What about next weekend?
    Why not leave it for a few weeks till the weather warms up?

I just don't get it, honestly.

Yes the Sally gap is closed at the moment

Planet X i was up and down the Sally Gap last Saturday and the weather was beautiful certainly no frostbite for me anyway
    Some of us here want to keep the momentum of climbing up for the W200 and use both the Wicklow and Sally gap as training and as the snow only cleared up in the last couple of weeks we are behind in our training so we are using the gaps as much as we can
    But know we will have to wait until the snow clears again:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

jag con wrote: »
    Yes the Sally gap is closed at the moment

Planet X i was up and down the Sally Gap last Saturday and the weather was beautiful certainly no frostbite for me anyway
    Some of us here want to keep the momentum of climbing up for the W200 and use both the Wicklow and Sally gap as training and as the snow only cleared up in the last couple of weeks we are behind in our training so we are using the gaps as much as we can
    But know we will have to wait until the snow clears again:(:(

I heard on the radio this morning that Sally Gap was open...this may have changed since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Planet X,
    I understand why you are asking why..Now I'll tell you..

Taking the earlier advice, I put off the mountain work and took off on a tour of Dublin. Lovely day, so Im thinking 80k or so, meet up with my Da half way and get a nice spin in.

Icy, steep climbs and descents maybe, but I would take that 100% of the time rather than the roadusers around South Dublin.

I had a guy do a U turn in a Merc in front of me in Dalkey and came within a well tuned set of brakes (thanks Skeff) of hitting him Tbone style as he just never looked...But the best was yet to come..

25 years in a saddle and I have NEVER seen anything like it..

Through leafy Carysfort and the Da and myself are catching up and having a nice chat. Group of teenagers around 16 yrs old on the footpath and a guy grabs a girl by the waist and starts swinging her. We decide to give them a wide berth and the next thing he throws her feet first into my front spokes...Nothing more to be said about it..

Snow or no snow, I'll still ask what the conditions are like before I run into such idiots again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

was out this afternoon just off mt leinster rain first then hail stones Aowww.

sore feckers ,glad i had M frames on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭jag con

Just heard that the Wicklow gap is open but the Sally gap is closed. I reckon that the Sally gap should be open over the weekend as the snow is melting fairly quickly

Con

• Advertisement
Advertisement