Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd like to repeat first year..

Options
  • 31-03-2010 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I'm in UCD, had a pretty bad first semester due to some personal reasons and ended up failing 3 of modules (of 7), now I'm in semester 2 (obviously), things were still going badly for me up until recently and now I'm only really happy with how things are again. I'd really like to start my course fresh though, do first year again and be more focused second time around

Is it possible to repeat first year, ie: be a year behind everyone else in my current year? I know you can do individual module repeats, resits and stage X, but I can't seem to find any information regarding this.

Thanks guys :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

AFAIK you would have to reapply through the CAO and would have to pay fees for the whole year. Repeating individual modules will only get you a bare pass regardless of your actual mark.

Does first year count towards your degree? If not, I'd suggest you forget about it, pull it together from now on and focus on the remaining years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 coolbro

Breezer wrote: »
    AFAIK you would have to reapply through the CAO and would have to pay fees for the whole year. Repeating individual modules will only get you a bare pass regardless of your actual mark.

Does first year count towards your degree? If not, I'd suggest you forget about it, pull it together from now on and focus on the remaining years.
    My degree is engineering, I'm not sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Go into the programme office and ask about the engineering student adviser. They wont give out to you or anything, they'll just tell you how to go about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Was in similar situation. Stick it out. You'll be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Fad wrote: »
    Go into the programme office and ask about the engineering student adviser. They wont give out to you or anything, they'll just tell you how to go about things.
    +1
    Go see your student advisor Colleen Blaney Doyle as soon as you can and explain your situation. She is an absolute ledge and will help you sort it all out!

Room 325A, Eng
    Tel: 01 716 1875
    Mob: 086 382 5746
    Email: colleen.doyle@ucd.ie

All the best :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Scraggs wrote: »
    +1
    Go see your student advisor Colleen Blaney Doyle as soon as you can and explain your situation. She is an absolute ledge and will help you sort it all out!

Room 325A, Eng
    Tel: 01 716 1875
    Mob: 086 382 5746
    Email: colleen.doyle@ucd.ie

All the best :)
    FYI, she's away until the 12th, but has contact details of others on her door.

Yeah I'll go talk to her then. Is it possible to repeat first year anyway, without reapplying to the CAO? Money isn't really too much of an issue (made a lot last summer from a job that had nice commisions attatched)

I've talked to a guy who was in commerce who was in first year for a second time, didn't ask him how it happened though. Also I know you can do it in trinity..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Money mightn't be an issue but spending €5.5k on something you don't really need do seems pointless.

Money mightn't be an issue but spending €5.5k on something you don't really need do seems pointless.
    Yeah I'm considering all options, I'd just like to know if it's possible to repeat first year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

coolbro wrote: »
    I'm in UCD, had a pretty bad first semester due to some personal reasons and ended up failing 3 of modules (of 7), now I'm in semester 2 (obviously), things were still going badly for me up until recently and now I'm only really happy with how things are again. I'd really like to start my course fresh though, do first year again and be more focused second time around

Is it possible to repeat first year, ie: be a year behind everyone else in my current year? I know you can do individual module repeats, resits and stage X, but I can't seem to find any information regarding this.

Thanks guys :cool:

Im currently doing first year for the 2nd time.

I had a terrible first semester last year, ****ed me up, i didnt like some of my subjects, but did like others.

I went to see the student advisor and she was a great help, i decided to go again and keep the courses i liked and change the ones i didnt, so far this year has been great, lowest grade at xmas was a C+ and im much happier.

It cost 4,000 but i felt i had to do it, needed a change. If you want a 2nd crack at it go and talk to your Student Advisor, they WILL help you clear things up.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Im currently doing first year for the 2nd time.

I had a terrible first semester last year, ****ed me up, i didnt like some of my subjects, but did like others.

I went to see the student advisor and she was a great help, i decided to go again and keep the courses i liked and change the ones i didnt, so far this year has been great, lowest grade at xmas was a C+ and im much happier.

It cost 4,000 but i felt i had to do it, needed a change. If you want a 2nd crack at it go and talk to your Student Advisor, they WILL help you clear things up.
    Thanks a lot mikey, I'll talk to her ASAP. Hope it's not too late...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Breezer wrote: »

You wouldn't have to pay fees if the programme office accepted your reason as legitimate (letter from psychiatrist, or whatever) and you definitely wouldn't have to apply through CAO again. Also, if they accept it as a proper reason for repeating, you won't be left with a "bare pass", your second attempt will count as a first attempt.

goose2005 wrote: »
    You wouldn't have to pay fees if the programme office accepted your reason as legitimate (letter from psychiatrist, or whatever) and you definitely wouldn't have to apply through CAO again. Also, if they accept it as a proper reason for repeating, you won't be left with a "bare pass", your second attempt will count as a first attempt.
    Thanks for the advice, I'm going to speak to an advisor on tuesday and see what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Thanks a lot mikey, I'll talk to her ASAP. Hope it's not too late...

It is definately not too late, i decided in June! The CAO deadline for applicants who were in a University last year is June 15th or something.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    It is definately not too late, i decided in June! The CAO deadline for applicants who were in a University last year is June 15th or something.
    Oh so I have to reapply to the CAO then? That's ****, my course will definitely go up this year since I barely got it in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

In engineering, 1st and 2nd year don't count towards your degree. Just repeat them, saves time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

My degree is engineering, I'm not sure..

Here, I'm in engineering and graduating this year.

First year will not really matter.

Just do your best now to pass.

Second year matters for getting an internship (you really want one... job wise it makes things so much easier..)

Third and 4th year matter towards your degree mark so are essential.

First year is just a foundation year really. You have prob covered most of the course depending on your LC subjects.

Basically get the finger out and get head in the game.

Between first and second year I failed... 7 subjects?? maybe more...

I coped on in third year and have a job set up for when I graduate etc...

Basically just suck it up and go for it.

Beats paying another few thousand to repeat the year.

You can completely turn it all around. First year first semester was mainly physics and maths and chemistry that you done in the LC unless I am mistaken?

You are only half way through your second semester.

Go to your lecturers, ask questions, get into the library and start working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

goose2005 wrote: »
    Fair point. I actually know a girl who's done this. I guess I didn't read the post properly the first time, apologies.

+1 on talking to the student advisor though.

Advertisement