Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl proposed for Swords

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I've started to avoid the Lidl in Swords because of the parking. One has opened in Omni Park which is a bigger shop and obviously has the Omni Park car park in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

celticbest wrote: »
    Wife was in Lidl this morning and was speaking to the Manager who told her they hope to have another store opened in Swords by the end of the year, wondering if anyone else has heard anything about it? Where it's likely to go?

It's off the Pinnock Hill roundabout on Dublin Rd. It's been discussed on here somewhere IIRC. The original application was withdrawn due to a lot of objections and resistance I think but they have since submitted again for the same site albeit a slightly different layout, incorporating a coffee shop and surgery.

I you think parking at the Rathbeale shop is bad, check out the planning app drawings on the FCC site.:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

T-Maxx wrote: »
    It's off the Pinnock Hill roundabout on Dublin Rd. It's been discussed on here somewhere IIRC. The original application was withdrawn due to a lot of objections and resistance I think but they have since submitted again for the same site albeit a slightly different layout, incorporating a coffee shop and surgery.

I you think parking at the Rathbeale shop is bad, check out the planning app drawings on the FCC site.:eek:

Good grief, that area is mental with traffic as it is in the evenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Can they not stick a supermarket in airside? Theres a big unit at the very end beside Mcguirks thats been vacant for years and the car park around is nearly always empty?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Think it's something to do with the zoning?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Haha, can you imagine if they put an Aldi or Lidl beside the Wright Venue? There'd be conniptions :eek:
    I'd think it's a matter of zoning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

They are flippin crazy if they can't see what traffic chaos a supermarket at that location would cause. It's a tiny road (with no scope for widening, I don't think) with housing estates all around. The place would be mental come school time, with Fingal Community College near by.

I dunno... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I know there's generally very little difference between the two German retailers Aldi and Lidl but this thread is about Lidl.

Seatown Rd = Aldi
    Dublin Rd off Pinnock Hill = Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Larianne wrote: »
    They are flippin crazy if they can't see what traffic chaos a supermarket at that location would cause. It's a tiny road (with no scope for widening, I don't think) with housing estates all around. The place would be mental come school time, with Fingal Community College near by.

I dunno... :rolleyes:

Its just in off the roundabout and there would be scope for road widening between the roundabout and site if necessary . The houses are back a good bit off the road.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Its just in off the roundabout and there would be scope for road widening between the roundabout and site if necessary . The houses are back a good bit off the road.

Is it the space after the co. council parking lot, the houses fronting onto those, and then the big gap to the parish house?

I drive down that road every day, at school times it's crazy, the rest of the time it's ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The impact that Lidl has had on the Rathbeale road has been far from the apocalypse this thread predicted, I drive that stretch several times a week and am rarely inconvenienced by any sort of hold up passing lidl, and when I am it is minimal and takes maybe 30 secs of my day, less time then hitting the red light at the crossing by JC's.

Inquitus wrote: »
    The impact that Lidl has had on the Rathbeale road has been far from the apocalypse this thread predicted, I drive that stretch several times a week and am rarely inconvenienced by any sort of hold up passing lidl, and when I am it is minimal and takes maybe 30 secs of my day, less time then hitting the red light at the crossing by JC's.

How often are you there on saturdays or 6pm week days?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Or today at half one when there was 3 cars on both sides indicating to get into an already full up to the road carpark. So frustrating, the carpark is just way way too small for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Stheno wrote: »
    Is it the space after the co. council parking lot, the houses fronting onto those, and then the big gap to the parish house?

I drive down that road every day, at school times it's crazy, the rest of the time it's ok

thats it , sure anywhere near a school is crazy at start and end time.
    How often are you there on saturdays or 6pm week days?

I agree with Inquitus I'd drive that road a couple of times every day and cant say Lidl has made much of a difference , now and then you get the odd hold up but you can get them anywhere especially around 6pm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Permission has been granted for the one at Pinnock Hill.

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2015/03/10/another-lidl-for-swords/

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Permission has been granted for the one at Pinnock Hill.

Saw this earlier too, absolutely amazed. Thought they had withdrawn the application. Total lunacy given the traffic levels on Dublin Road at all times during the day.

rushfan wrote: »
    Saw this earlier too, absolutely amazed. Thought they had withdrawn the application. Total lunacy given the traffic levels on Dublin Road at all times during the day.

Is this what is being built at Pinnock Hill at the moment?

Also is anyone in the area getting really fecked off with the delays on Rathbeale Road due to the Lidl carpark being full to capacity and shoppers stopping on the road waiting for a chance to go in?

Twice this week since Saturday, I've had delays of more than five minutes getting down the road due to cars literally almost out on the road from the carpark, and others waiting to turn in :( It's getting to the point where as someone living on the road, I need to take a different route to get home, rather than sit waiting for up to ten minutes to move past Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Originally posted by Stheno --- Is this what is being built at Pinnock Hill at the moment?

Also is anyone in the area getting really fecked off with the delays on Rathbeale Road due to the Lidl carpark being full to capacity and shoppers stopping on the road waiting for a chance to go in?

Twice this week since Saturday, I've had delays of more than five minutes getting down the road due to cars literally almost out on the road from the carpark, and others waiting to turn in It's getting to the point where as someone living on the road, I need to take a different route to get home, rather than sit waiting for up to ten minutes to move past Lidl.

Simple answer to that is like the Aldi new build on the Seatown Rd,''planner's'' went to the hiding place they hid in during the Septic Tiger, just how many supermarkets does a town like Sword's need, Certainly not another Lidl - unless their planning to shut the Rathbeale Rd one when the Pinnock Hill store open's -- I doubt that, and we think theses moron's learn't from the Septic Tiger,not a bit of it.

EDIT -- the so called ''planner's'' were told before the Lidl store on the Rathbeale Rd was built by all and sundry that their would be traffic problem's - it was bad enough when the petrol station was there,do they think local people make objection's to these development's just for the fun of it , Mr Reid - the CEO of F.C.C badly need's to look at an exit program for the so called ''planner's'' and ''engineer's'' sitting around in that glass palace in Sword's.

dslamjack wrote: »
    Simple answer to that is like the Aldi new build on the Seatown Rd,''planner's'' went to the hiding place they hid in during the Septic Tiger, just how many supermarkets does a town like Sword's need, Certainly not another Lidl - unless their planning to shut the Rathbeale Rd one when the Pinnock Hill store open's -- I doubt that, and we think theses moron's learn't from the Septic Tiger,not a bit of it.

I'm planning on emailing the councillors about it, it's beyond a joke at this stage in rush hour

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

Is this what is being built at Pinnock Hill at the moment?

Twice this week since Saturday, I've had delays of more than five minutes getting down the road due to cars literally almost out on the road from the carpark, and others waiting to turn in :( It's getting to the point where as someone living on the road, I need to take a different route to get home, rather than sit waiting for up to ten minutes to move past Lidl.
    Yes that is the Lidl site close to Pinnock Hill. The builders have made great progress in recent weeks and certainly construction of the Lidl supermarket is far ahead of Aldi in Seatown Road.

The Supervalu in Boroimhe could lose business to Lidl in Pinnock Hill.

The second Lidl should ease traffic congestion on Rathbeale Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sign outside the Dublin Road site was lit up passing by today. Building looks complete.

I'd say opening can't be more than a week away?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

sdanseo wrote: »
    Sign outside the Dublin Road site was lit up passing by today. Building looks complete.

I'd say opening can't be more than a week away?

Opening Thursday morning 27th Oct.

shane6977 wrote: »
    Opening Thursday morning 27th Oct.

Popped in on the way home this evening for a few bits. Biggest and brightest LIDL I've ever been in, looked more like the standard of a Donnybrook Fair inside. Raises the bar for them by a very large margin.

Pity about most of their products being cheap tat but for the bits I will buy there, great facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Popped in on the way home this evening for a few bits. Biggest and brightest LIDL I've ever been in, looked more like the standard of a Donnybrook Fair inside. Raises the bar for them by a very large margin.

Pity about most of their products being cheap tat but for the bits I will buy there, great facility.

I live in Swords. Used to go to the one in Santry as I avoided the Rathbeale one because of lack of parking. Went in today early. I like it. Seems very roomy. Exactly the same layout as the other ones but spaced out a bit wider. I think its a great idea to put the shop on the first floor with parking underneath.
    I dunno what the traffic will be like during the day but for an early morning shop it's great.

One slight negative is that they don't have the half size trollis. But that's a first world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

popped in this evening and second the two posts above. Looks like a nice building and roomy shop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

One slight negative is that they don't have the half size trollis. But that's a first world problem.

Theres a sketch hidden there asking for a little trolley not a lidl trolley :p

Is there access from Forest Road?

Theres a sketch hidden there asking for a little trolley not a lidl trolley :p

Is there access from Forest Road?

No, access from the Dublin Road only. It's set back a good bit though.

You made me curious about how close it was to Forest Road though and had a look at google maps to see. New imagery actually shows the footprint of the site while under construction. A rear entrance might work there if the landowner would sell, would be perfectly aligned for a crossroads at the entrance to River Valley and well worth the few quid LIDL would have to pay out.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4511343,-6.2267482,217m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Since River Valley was built,their has been a plan to build a link road from the River Valley Lawn/Forrest Rd junction to the Dublin Rd to end the bottle neck and traffic pressure at the Lord Mayor's junction,will probably never be done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

No, access from the Dublin Road only. It's set back a good bit though.

You made me curious about how close it was to Forest Road though and had a look at google maps to see. New imagery actually shows the footprint of the site while under construction. A rear entrance might work there if the landowner would sell, would be perfectly aligned for a crossroads at the entrance to River Valley and well worth the few quid LIDL would have to pay out.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.4511343,-6.2267482,217m/data=!3m1!1e3

Could not see Fingal Co Co ever allowing that as it would become a rat run between Forest Rd and Dublin Rd.

• Advertisement

dslamjack wrote: »
    Since River Valley was built,their has been a plan to build a link road from the River Valley Lawn/Forrest Rd junction to the Dublin Rd to end the bottle neck and traffic pressure at the Lord Mayor's junction,will probably never be done now.
    shane6977 wrote: »
    Could not see Fingal Co Co ever allowing that as it would become a rat run between Forest Rd and Dublin Rd.

Good point.

I would have thought cutting through Boroimhe would serve the same purpose for people in River Valley heading to the east side of Swords or the bypass. Do people not do that already?

Advertisement