Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl proposed for Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

jenga-jen wrote: »
    Having working in audit and read through the investigations in that report I can tell you, from experience, that your sample would not appear to be sufficient or accurate in terms of its representation of the local area and its traffic volumes.

I would suspect that part of the suitability of this particular site lies in the fact that there will be nowhere nearby for an Aldi to set up in competition :) However, I also feel that if Aldi were to make the seemingly wiser, albeit perhaps costlier, choice to take the Woodies site further down the line then they will have the last laugh.

While I fully respect that you have a more detailed knowledge of the planning application for this Lidl and its intricacies given your involvement, I still do believe that you are not completely in touch with the actual situation in Swords, specifically in relation to general community feeling and more worryingly the actual traffic volumes.

I would respectfully suggest that you make 2 visits to the area. One on a Thursday evening between 17:00 and 21:30 to observe late night shopping volumes and also on a Saturday between 09:00 and 19:00 to fully understand the challenge that Lidl are facing in that area.
    The planning application nor the sample has have absolutely nothing to do with me, not too sure where you got that idea from.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Look at it this way - a busy Saturday afternoon.

You are trying to get out of the garage (now Lidl) to head rightt back towards Swords.

There's a queue of cars in front of you.

They can't get out because of the large volume of cars coming from the direction of JC's.

When you do get out onto the road you can't move because someone is trying to turn right at the junction to go up Brackenstown Avenue.

And they can't move because cars are coming up the Rathbeale Road from the direction of Swords.

But someone might let you out because there is now a tail back trying to get into the Lidl car park.

But they can't get in because of the traffic coming from the direction of JC's.

And well, if you are coming down from Brackenstown Avenue and trying to get out onto the Rathbeale road, you are fooked! Same goes for Pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They are my opinions, which I am entitled to and you are entitled to rubbish.

There is a lot of sentimental drivel here about Savages. As I said multiple times already what is their to worry about is Savages are so good and Lidl are so poor?

After all Superquinn and Dunnes run parallel in the Pavillions with successful profits. Perhaps it's a case that Savages and Lidl are a little bit more similar that people would let on.

Afraid of a little competition?

The fact you call it "savages" shows that you don't know what you are talking about. Its a fantastic shop, that has a fantastic reputation all around north Dublin for quality, affordability and customer care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

It will be interesting now with the timing of JC's passing and the funeral next week I can imagine people talking about this issue, some loyal to JC, some concerned about traffic and safety and I am sure the objections will rise ten fold next week.

Like rallying the troops almost.

ragg wrote: »
    The fact you call it "savages" shows that you don't know what you are talking about.
    LOL, thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Yes as well as working for Luke Moriarity (see previous posts), I also have a vested interest in Lidl.

Perhaps I misunderstood?!

If the above is the case I don't believe you can qualify for playing devils advocate?

You seem to be overlooking/unaware of a number of factors in the proposed location and the general feeling of the locals and even not so locals (Wishbone Ash) and this is what's causing other posters to react this way.

Perhaps I misunderstood?!

If the above is the case I don't believe you can qualify for playing devils advocate?
    It was said tongue in cheek, I seem to get accused of all sorts on this forum. Apologies if it lead you astray.
    You seem to be overlooking/unaware of a number of factors in the proposed location and the general feeling of the locals and even not so locals (Wishbone Ash) and this is what's causing other posters to react this way.
    You seem to be overlooking the evidence of experts in the field submitted with the application.

I suppose we will all know soon enough. If a strong local objection gets behind it with reasoned and factual objections then it may well be rejected but right now I'd say it's a gimme for approval.

It was said tongue in cheek, I seem to get accused of all sorts on this forum. Apologies if it lead you astray.

You seem to be overlooking the evidence of experts in the field submitted with the application.

I suppose we will all know soon enough. If a strong local objection gets behind it with reasoned and factual objections then it may well be rejected but right now I'd say it's a gimme for approval.

That's the problem with forum based discussions, tone is often miscontrued. Given your earlier assertion that you did indeed have a vested interest, your mention of playing 'devils advocate' simply caused confusion.

If by evidence you're referring to the traffic survey completed then I'll refer you to my earlier post in which I explained, rather than overlooked, that coming from a background of audit experience and knowledge of the local area, I can tell you that the detailed sample of traffic is not sufficient as a reflection of the current traffic volumes and as a result is flimsy at best in support of the proposal.

I can only hope that there is a strong public reaction to the proposal as I believe from a business, logistical and community point of view, this is a misplaced site for a Lidl given the current climate and situation in Swords.

If by evidence you're referring to the traffic survey completed then I'll refer you to my earlier post in which I explained, rather than overlooked, that coming from a background of audit experience and knowledge of the local area, I can tell you that the detailed sample of traffic is not sufficient as a reflection of the current traffic volumes and as a result is flimsy at best in support of the proposal.

I can only hope that there is a strong public reaction to the proposal as I believe from a business, logistical and community point of view, this is a misplaced site for a Lidl given the current climate and situation in Swords.
    Are you going to object yourself?

As a matter of interest, where can I view the objections posted so far with fingal?

Also as I've never objected to something before can someone tell me exactly what to do.

Do I type a letter, stick €20 in there and post it or is there a certain form I have to download or acquire?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Whether I object or not will remain, as it should, a personal decision which I'm sure you can appreciate.

I have no vested interest in the development or connection to it or the process in any way.

However, having lived in Swords all my life I can appreciate the impact this development will have and, having been made aware of it, will definitely be keeping an eye on the situation as it progresses.

PCros wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, where can I view the objections posted so far with fingal?

Also as I've never objected to something before can someone tell me exactly what to do.

Do I type a letter, stick €20 in there and post it or is there a certain form I have to download or acquire?

Thanks

You can view then here

Details on how to object are here

Whether I object or not will remain, as it should, a personal decision which I'm sure you can appreciate.
    Of course thats a given.

It's also good to see someone with a bit of pride in their locality, something which is lacking, I feel, in North County Dublin towns.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

That traffic report is hilarious, I know myself most days I can't get out of JCs turning right heading away from the village and its sometimes easier to go left, up brackenstown and back right again.
    Lidl of course would attract multiples of what the Esso now attracts, the Esso itself is one of the most expensive petrol stations around and I know I avoid it due to this, as I'd say many locals do.
    As for the Woodies site being inaccessible, only the 41c passes by the Esso site, the other buses they reference would need a walk from the village. Also how many people actually do their shopping on foot? and it they did they would only buy what they'd carry, I know I do when I walk down to JCs, and with the pedestrian walkway the Woodies site would be quite safe.

41 goes down Rathbeale Road. 43 goes down pass Woodies to the Business Park. :)

Would there be a way to refute the traffic reports claims?

Larianne wrote: »
    Would there be a way to refute the traffic reports claims?
    A submission would do the trick, outlined above.
    Ginny wrote: »
    Also how many people actually do their shopping on foot?
    People from Rush, Lusk and Skerries visit the Lidl in Balbriggan by the 33, evident by the number of people waiting at the stop with shopping nearly all times of the day.

Lots of people who shop in discount stores don't have cars obviously.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Crap meant 41 not 41c....I'm getting the 41x far too much these days..;)

People from Rush, Lusk and Skerries visit the Lidl in Balbriggan by the 33, evident by the number of people waiting at the stop with shopping nearly all times of the day.

Lots of people who shop in discount stores don't have cars obviously.

Again these people, if travelling to the Swords Lidl would be better off with the Woodies location, rather then walking from the village so.

A submission would do the trick, outlined above.

I've already put in an objection. Do you mean get an independent report done yourself?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Fingal told me on the phone there the objections were not visible online. I'm making my objection on Tuesday.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I can see why people would object to the traffic. I remember just before Christmas that it took 45 minutes to get from the Watery Lane junction to JC's. Imagine what it would be like if you put another big supermarket on that stretch of road.

In saying that I won't be suprised if they do get permission. I think the road that LIDL in Balbriggan is on is smaller and more awkward than the Rathbeale Road.

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Fingal told me on the phone there the objections were not visible online. I'm making my objection on Tuesday.
    If you see my link you'll see objections are visible online.

Just a reminder to people if they wish to object to this it has to be in by before 5pm on the 15th April (Next Thursday).

Good lot of objections up already.

Lidl are giving a presentation on their plans for the premises on Rathbeale Road between 6-8, 13th April (Tuesday) in Carnegie Court.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Lidl are giving a presentation on their plans for the premises on Rathbeale Road between 6-8, 13th April (Tuesday) in Carnegie Court.

Would it be possible to post here after that , I'll be away , But am filing an objection on grounds of congestion and would be interested to hear what is said at the presentation .

sharkman wrote: »
    Would it be possible to post here after that , I'll be away , But am filing an objection on grounds of congestion and would be interested to hear what is said at the presentation .

I'm not going myself as I've exams to study for but my parents are going so I'll get the info from them. I'm sure there will be a few more posters going from the forum anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We got a letter in the door today about this and how to present an objection, think it was the local councillors/td's who sent it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nouggatti wrote: »
    We got a letter in the door today about this and how to present an objection, think it was the local councillors/td's who sent it out.
    This just show all that is wrong in this country!

**shakes head**

Surely a local TD should also show his/her constitutients how to support the proposal?

This just show all that is wrong in this country!

**shakes head**

Surely a local TD should also show his/her constitutients how to support the proposal?

What's wrong with it?

Support it in what way? So it will end up like the Pavilions where its a nightmare to get in and out of the place on busy shopping days and be a disruption to everyone in the area??

Having Lidl in Swords would be excellent but for the amount of traffic and disruption it would cause, the proposed site is just not suitable.

nouggatti wrote: »
    I'm sure it was just anti-everything Clare Daly.

An unrealistic moaner, and sums up everything thats wrong with the setup in Dublin Airport in my opinion.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with it?
    Do the people of Swords really need to be spoon fed?

It's a tad pathetic really. If the planning application is really that objectionable why would support for objections need to be drummed up like this? If the road really is as bad as we've been told then surely not even one objection will be needed as the planners will reject it. All the objections or submissions in the world won't have an effect on that. If the planners aren't doing their job properly however then even hundreds of objections will make little difference.

Of course regardless of the decision in a few months time it will inevitably now go to ABP, so in real terms there'll be no decision which can be acted on before the end of the year. In the meantime the unemployment rate in Swords will continue to increase.

Advertisement