Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl proposed for Swords

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Dear Poo 15, for someone who has no personal interest in this Lidl issue, you sure seem to know a lot about mini-markets and the number of lines they carry. You also seem to be very familiar with planning and zoning regulations. I can accept that that may be your line of business, but you argue the case like you have just been offered the job as manager of the new store. What is your agenda here?

you argue it like you're getting discounted petrol at garrigans :) we've all an agenda in this thread, that's why we're posting, in fairness.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What is your agenda here?
    Pool5 has confirmed he has no connection with this proposal, so leave it there

Thanks

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pool5

Dear Poo 15, for someone who has no personal interest in this Lidl issue, you sure seem to know a lot about mini-markets and the number of lines they carry.You also seem to be very familiar with planning and zoning regulations.

Dear Bill, all of the information you have cited above is available on the planning application, the DP and Zoning map, all available to view on FCC. I admit that it does seem to be something of a novelty on this thread for somebody to have actually consulted these documents before posting but I cannot control that!

BTW I am also very familiar with Man Utd, their entire squad, number of trophies they have won, upcoming fixtures, history etc but I am not a fan.

I can accept that that may be your line of business, but you argue the case like you have just been offered the job as manager of the new store. What is your agenda here?

And you argue the case like you are a shareholder in JC's. What is your agenda here? Lets not resort to pots and kettles here. I posted to bring some semblence of balance to what was previously a very unbalanced thread/discussion.

I think that you are incorrect when you accuse people of having a "not in my back yard" mentality, when all they seem to be trying to say is that Garrigans garage is not suitable..

And all I am saying is that this site is IMO Suitable. It is Zoned correctly and has a precedent of retail use. It also currently has significant traffic flows in and out of the site.
    Perhaps a little bit further west along the Rathbeale Rd. would be more appropriate.

Exactly.......not in my backyard!

Pool5 wrote: »

I think it's unfair to dismiss people's objections as simple nimbyism in fairness. If the traffic at this lidl is as busy as some other stores, it will be a nightmare, and it's not like the area is crying out for a discount supermarket. You're annoyed that your support is being dismissed as you working for them, but you're doing exactly the same by accusing others of nimbyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OK - The personal sniping & off-topic posts that are going with stop now.

As tbh correctly said earlier - everyone has an agenda. Get over it & discuss the topic at hand without questioning other posters' integrity or feeling the need to justify your own posts.

If you cannot or are unwilling to discuss the Lidl proposal without having a go at other posters - do not participate in this thread. If you do - you may be banned.

If you have a problem with a post - use the Report Post button & myself or Beasty will deal with it.

Take care,

HB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Im not a planner so bare with me, anyone who uses that road regularly should be able to back me up on this.

The road coming from the town centre (rathbeale rd) is not suitable Imho because it only takes one car to stop in preperation for a right turn(doesnt matter which way) for this road to quickly become blocked.

Anyone who comes back down the road from JC's on any given day will see cars turning into the estate just after the garage. If cars are coming from the town direction in a steady stream then the whole road is blocked one way.
    I hope Im not confusing you yet, so can you picture cars coming from the town direction and the traffic from the JC direction come steadily without gaps (busy road) then the access to the lidl site is very restricted.

Solution - Traffic lights, NOT see this is not a solution because there is only about 200 meters back to the other lights at the post office sorting centre.
    Solution - roudabout, NOT because this flow would be effected one of the ways anyway.

Im sure lidl could pay a Engineer/planner to find in favour of any solution but with the width of the road and the residential buildup from directions on this road it is obvious to even joe soap that this is a stupid plan, only someone who has never used that road could think differently.

Just my opinion, maybe ignorant but honest and non partisan

my biggest worry if I were living nearby would be the carpark. Combine the new proposed car park with the one already at JC's and you've a vast, empty space after dark - litter and anti-social behaviour are almost a foregone conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

And all I am saying is that this site is IMO Suitable. It is Zoned correctly and has a precedent of retail use. It also currently has significant traffic flows in and out of the site.

Very untrue, that has significant traffic flow now as a petrol station in which local people use and passers by.

By locating a Lidl there you will have people from towns and areas around specifically driving to Swords just for sole cause of shopping there, increasing the traffic tenfold. Its not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have people looked at the new objections submitted?

JC's have put in a whopper! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

Never bought petrol in Garrigans - its too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

Dear Bill, all of the information you have cited above is available on the planning application, the DP and Zoning map, all available to view on FCC. I admit that it does seem to be something of a novelty on this thread for somebody to have actually consulted these documents before posting but I cannot control that!

BTW I am also very familiar with Man Utd, their entire squad, number of trophies they have won, upcoming fixtures, history etc but I am not a fan.

And you argue the case like you are a shareholder in JC's. What is your agenda here? Lets not resort to pots and kettles here. I posted to bring some semblence of balance to what was previously a very unbalanced thread/discussion.

What I meant by further west along the Rathbeale road was to a more suitable, less built up and less congested area. LIDL will never be in my back yard so your remark is incorrect. I would welcome LIDL but I think that for the various reasons given, that Garrigans garage is an unsuitable location. The current traffic flows in and out of this site are nothing compared to what LIDL would bring. Don't wait until it is built to find this out because by then it will be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Larianne wrote: »
    Have people looked at the new objections submitted?

JC's have put in a whopper! :eek:

Is JC's objection available to view online?

PWEI wrote: »
    Is JC's objection available to view online?

yes /I'm not sure which one it is, and just to point out - it's illegal to copy and paste it here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure myself how parking and access would be at the site, but then there is constant traffic in and out of that petrol station all the time.
    The site is quite big, going back quite a way and with the demolition of the neighbouring house would be grand.
    The problem really is the estate entrance nearly opposite, perhaps a set of lights, horror of horrors!
    But certainly an Airside site or the old Woodies store would be ideal.
    Also good would be putting the store into an area like the Swords road heading down to Malahide, before or after the M1 bridge, or perhaps the road heading towards Kinsealy, plenty of new, empty commercial units ripe for conversion to a supermarket there.

As for a threat to JCs, many people thought that his goose was cooked with the opening of the Dunnes in the Pavilion, and yet nope, all the customers came back after a brief lull, and a Lidl or Aldi would probably have the same fleeting effect, JCs has an enormous amount of goodwill, and the customers like the experience of shopping there, it's prices are competitive and the atmosphere friendly, that's why I shop there, it's like a giant, local corner shop. And even with the location of a german discounter in the area, I will still spend money in JCs regardless.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

As for a threat to JCs, many people thought that his goose was cooked with the opening of the Dunnes in the Pavilion, and yet nope, all the customers came back after a brief lull, and a Lidl or Aldi would probably have the same fleeting effect, JCs has an enormous amount of goodwill, and the customers like the experience of shopping there, it's prices are competitive and the atmosphere friendly, that's why I shop there, it's like a giant, local corner shop. And even with the location of a german discounter in the area, I will still spend money in JCs regardless.

I have to agree, and another giant plus for JC's is the fact that he always has enough till staff working, I can't remember the last time I was more than a couple of minutes waiting to be served...... Dunnes/Lidl and aldi never have enough staff on the tills,...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

JC's submission

No stone has been left unturned!

JC's submission

Thats some objection!:eek:

JC's submission

Makes a sham of Lidl's proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Betty131

As mentioned by many people, I think the idea of a Lidl going somewhere in or near Swords is brilliant. I know lots of people who travel to Balbriggan or Finglas to shop at Lidl. I do think however purely from a traffice point of view that the site at the garage is not good. Far better idea, as some have suggested for it to be placed somewhere like Woodies.

The county council have asked for additional information on the application submitted by Lidl.

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=F10A/0088&theTabNo=2#tabdetails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Larianne wrote: »
    The county council have asked for additional information on the application submitted by Lidl.
    At this stage whether FCC approve or refuse planning won't matter as it'll be appealed all the way to ABP by the the opposing party with the decision a year down the road.

Lidl haven't a hope..... They must have a plan B (Germans are very pragmatic) and they should just go ahead and try the next option. <

Lidl haven't a hope
    Why?

They obviously do have a hope otherwise they wouldn't spend time and money progressing with the application. They are quite a successful company and well advised so it's unlikely they would waste time and money perusing an application where they don't have a hope.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Why?

They obviously do have a hope otherwise they wouldn't spend time and money progressing with the application. They are quite a successful company and well advised so it's unlikely they would waste time and money perusing an application where they don't have a hope.

That is certainly debatable, are these the people who put in the planning and forgot a 1,000 square foot of retail space in a shop not 100m away from the proposed site, the same people who didn't ask the local community what they thought before going ahead!

The planning application is shot to bits, the local community is nearly 100% opposed.... good advisors would have seen this a mile away.....

The planning application is shot to bits
    FCC would have never asked for additional information if it was shot to bits.

Plenty of applications which are strongly opposed by local communities get planning permission and have been built. There's examples in most areas, high profiles ones too.

I feel it's preemptive and incorrect to say this has no chance as only ABP will decide that unless Lidl decide to withdraw the application.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    FCC would have never asked for additional information if it was shot to bits.

Plenty of applications which are strongly opposed by local communities get planning permission and have been built. There's examples in most areas, high profiles ones too.

I feel it's preemptive and incorrect to say this has no chance as only ABP will decide that unless Lidl decide to withdraw the application.

Preemptive, your right of course, nothing suprises me with planners in Ireland! The thing is most people in Swords would like a lidl but the planned location is beyond reasoning and an bord pleanala must see this....
    You even agree that its not the most suitable location.

If Lidl drag this on I can see someone like Aldi coming in and putting in a planning application in a better area, getting it passed and built before Lidl are out of this planning mess they find themselves in.

Lidl have had plans rejected (;-) in the past and just moved on so lets hope they just open their eyes and look around Swords for a more suitable site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Good idea.Totally, unbelievably, rubbish location!!
    Mind you, I'll be sticking with JC's. I like having the options of a few different brands to choose from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pool5

Lidl haven't a hope..... They must have a plan B (Germans are very pragmatic) and they should just go ahead and try the next option. <

Interesting FI, there is not 1 of the FI's concerning traffic! That is a bit of an anomoly considering that many of the posts in objection to the proposal touted traffic as the primary factor for dismissing the application! It seems the planners think differently. All of the other FI's look very adressable by any consultant worth their salt.

I predict a grant at a local authority, 3rd party apeal to ABP with subsequent grant from ABP, but I guess we will all have to wait and see

All of the other FI's look very adressable by any consultant worth their salt.

Well the consultant who managed to measure the floorspace wrong by over 1000sqm wasn't the best.

• Advertisement

Does the county council get any money if they approve the site?

Advertisement