Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

campervan glazing pictures

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

1986 Bedford Rascal Romahome Camper.

Meant to add that the mark is on all of the camper windows. Cab windows all have the E mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

zoltar_boi is a star ...all hail zoltar_boi !

Here is a screenshot of the letter that he was sent (and couldn't attach to his last post (as word document it doesn't want to attach))

110361.jpg

Well ...that pretty much settles that.
    - e-marks on plastic windows were only introduced in 2003
    - they were preceeded by D-marks (the wave symbol followed by a "D") before 2003

ergo ...any window fitted with a d-mark is equivalent to a window with an e-mark. And any plastic window with an e-mark is just as valid as a glass window with an e- mark ...written proof of what I've been saying all along, so feck off RSA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

peasant wrote: »
    zoltar_boi is a star ...all hail zoltar_boi !

Here is a screenshot of the letter that he was sent (and couldn't attach to his last post (as word document it doesn't want to attach))

Well ...that pretty much settles that.
    - e-marks on plastic windows were only introduced in 2003
    - they were preceeded by D-marks (the wave symbol followed by a "D") before 2003

ergo ...any window fitted with a d-mark is equivalent to a window with an e-mark. And any plastic window with an e-mark is just as valid as a glass window with an e- mark ...written proof of what I've been saying all along, so feck off RSA :D

I cant view the screenshot. Can you PDF it please and attach to a post?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Kol,

I tried to post a PDF version, but it won't upload either. PM me an email address for a copy if you want.

I think I've managed to attach it tonight, but if not - see above

Z

• Advertisement

*Kol* wrote: »
    I cant view the screenshot. Can you PDF it please and attach to a post?

Sorry can't do pdf ..won't accept the original file.
    Here's the attachment again (not embedded this time). Uploading was acting up earlier, that might be why you can't see it

EDIT ..I think between us we have it sorted now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Cheers Zoltar Boi. It's perfect.

btw ...I have fleshed out the glazing bit in the letter, see what ye think (it might be a bit too strongly worded?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Peasent, you are doing what the RSA should have done, what ARE they drawing our tax Euro salaries for.
    It is looking more and more like they have gone off 'half cocked' on the whole issue, typical. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 podgemc

Here are the markings I can find on my van. Its a 99 iveco daily conversion that I bought 2nd hand last year. Needless to say it didnt come with any certification for the windows.

• Advertisement

podgemc wrote: »
    Here are the markings I can find on my van. Its a 99 iveco daily conversion that I bought 2nd hand last year. Needless to say it didnt come with any certification for the windows.

The second and third one should be fine (if we get our way) the first one could get troublesome if that's all there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

btw ...I have fleshed out the glazing bit in the letter, see what ye think (it might be a bit too strongly worded?)

Looks good to me. Thanks to Zoltar for providing the document, exactly what was needed. Hopefully the RSA will see sense and amend the original doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

My van is Japanese and I've no idea who makes the top windows but I did see one like them on a site before - just can't find it now.

Anybody know who makes them

4514332403_a8868b2f18_o.jpg

My van is Japanese and I've no idea who makes the top windows but I did see one like them on a site before - just can't find it now.

Anybody know who makes them

Can't help you with your query ...but ...

In the draft test rule from the RSA it says:
    The Vehicle Testing Manuals also state that where windscreens, side or rearwindows, are fitted with glazing material other than safety glass,

The windows in your picture are neither windscreens nor side-or rear windows. They are nowhere near a potential passenger and if they did indeed break during an accident, you might have more important worries than how they break, considering where they are.

That's the case that I would argue anyway, if this were my van.

Follow this link The Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA) issues Type Approvals for vehicles and vehicle components for series production that are valid within Germany and Europe to the Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA)- Federal Motor Transport Authority web site.
    I saw a 1995 AutoSleeper yesterday with the D~~~~ marked windows, there is no way the RSA can refuse to accept them when they are accepted throughout Europe.

It is the RSA who should have researched the subject, not us, that is why we pay them, with out tax money :mad::mad::mad:

That's what I've been saying all along.

Keep up at the back there! :D:D:D

minor update

I've finally received the reply from Seitz/Dometic and they do indeed confirm that the wave D mark represents the technological and approved safety standard on the day it was issued. So, what was valid in say 1985 or 1995 should still be valid today.

Furthermore, windows with the following marks:
    D 2307, D 2311, D2318 and D 2340 also have been granted an equivalent e-mark retrospectively. I have letters from the KBA to that regard and will keep them safe in case we might need them later on as "ammunition" against the RSA.

Older windows, like my D512 obviously have no e-mark, but were still approved standard at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Good stuff P.

Thank God we can count on the Germans to be up front with the standards :D

Thank God we can count on the Germans to be up front with the standards :D

ooohhh ...I can sense a Nazi joke coming up :D:D

pre-emptive-picture:
    KingAndCountry-LAH37.jpg

minor update

I've finally received the reply from Seitz/Dometic and they do indeed confirm that the wave D mark represents the technological and approved safety standard on the day it was issued. So, what was valid in say 1985 or 1995 should still be valid today.

Furthermore, windows with the following marks:
    D 2307, D 2311, D2318 and D 2340 also have been granted an equivalent e-mark retrospectively. I have letters from the KBA to that regard and will keep them safe in case we might need them later on as "ammunition" against the RSA.

Older windows, like my D512 obviously have no e-mark, but where still approved standard at the time.

Brilliant result Peasant, you should be on Noel Dempsey s payroll.
    It is beyond my comprehension how the RSA could go off so half cocked, it's no wonder this country has gone down the toilet so fast with quangos like them running the show :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Excellent thread !!
    Just for the record here's what's on my EuraMobil 2001 Model:

sidewindow.th.jpg
    (Click pic for larger view)

update:

It was a long time coming, but it came :D

Reply from the Kraftfahrtbundesamt (the German motoring authority) on wave marked windows:
    Sehr geehrter Herr xxx,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage vom 7. April 2010. Durch die angespannte Personalsituation beim Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt (KBA) war es mir leider nicht möglich, Ihre Anfrage früher zu beantworten. Ich bitte, die Verspätung zu entschuldigen.

Die von Ihnen beschriebene Kennzeichnung der Scheiben mit einer Wellenlinie von drei Perioden und dem Kennbuchstaben "D" sowie der eigentlichen Genehmigungsnummer bedeutet, dass die Scheiben durch das Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt genehmigt wurden. Es handelt sich dabei um eine nationale Typgenehmigung (Allgemeine Bauartgenehmigung - ABG), deren Grundlage die Nr. 29 der Technischen Anforderungen an Fahrzeugteile bei der Bauartprüfung nach § 22a StVZO (TA) ist.

Diese TA 29 (Sicherheitsglas) war übrigens die Basis für die im Jahr 1981 in Kraft getretene UNECE-Regelung Nr. 43. Beide Vorschriften sind daher vergleichbar, haben jedoch im Laufe der Zeit unabhängig voneinander Änderungen erfahren. Sie weichen daher leicht voneinander ab.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Hans-Jürgen NETTLAU
    Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt
    Abteilung Technik
    24932 Flensburg
    Telefon: +49 (0)461/316-1555
    Telefax.: +49 (0)461/316-1741

loosely translated:

sorry for the late reply but we don't have enough people

wave-D marked windows have national German approval according to TA29 § 22a StVZO

TA29 was the basis for the international UNECE-Regelung Nr. 43 (the e43 mark!)

both regulations are comparable but have developed differently over the years so there are minor differences

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarenka

Peasant thank you for doing amazing job!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

great thread, been looking for this for a while...

As the last post in this was a while ago I was wondering if many on here who had plastic windows with no markings on them have had any success in getting them DOE'd? Particularly those who had their windows manufactured by now-out-of-business UK companies...

This has been covered on another thread but here goes again.

The test requirements are quite clear, all windows must have an acceptable safety stamp/mark on them or a covering letter from the makers.

I need new windows for my camper. A firm in Ballina can make them for me. The material used by them is exactly the same as the existing windows, and I have all the specs showing this to be the case, but the firm are not authorised to put a safety mark on them, nor is their supplier in Dublin and nor is the manufacturer of the material in the U.K. (I have spoken to them all).
    RSA in Ballina have told me that without a stamp or letter from the makers, which none will supply, stating that it meets the safety requirements then the windows will not be acceptable.
    There you have it in a nutshell.

Advertisement