Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would you support?

• 31-03-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

What team would you support if you really really had to stop supporting your team and why would you support them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

If someone rammed a SCUD missile up my arse and told me to stop supporting Chelsea, I'd point out the ''LAUNCH'' button to them myself... But let's play Devil's Advocate for a moment and assume I'd be so bad as to switch allegiances.

-Everton would be one possibility; for some reason I've always had something of a bit of a soft spot for the Blue half of Merseyside, and they'd probably land top of the heap for the team I would have to support.

-

I was going to put another choice in, but I really can't think of another side I'd support anyway willingly... And for me to switch to Everton, it had better be a 100 Megaton missile too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i've already signed a contract with Des specifying that i'll support Shels if me and Liverpool ever fall out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Man U. For Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

FC United of Manchester.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If i didn't support United, i would probably be supporting Arsenal or Chelsea - as that is who the brother and dad support.

Always had a soft spot for Nottingham Forest though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

dunno. probably everton after seeing hillsborough

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Norwich in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There are other teams apart from Leeds?

Maybe Barcelona, couldn't see myself supporting another English team. Although West Ham do appear to have a similar air of doom and uncertainty about them that I'd find hard to live without.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Probably Chelsea, my local team when in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Darlington coz of stan:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

BERBA wrote: »
    Darlington coz of stan:D

Oh.. Im sorry to be the one to tell you this but.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Brimingham. Been my second team for a long time, even if they do cause me constant heartbreak as an Arsenal fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Sútalún wrote: »
    Oh.. Im sorry to be the one to tell you this but.....

yawn , yeah he left about a month ago and now theyve started winning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

This is basically everyones 'second' team then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im Man U fan.

I have always had soft spot for Notts Forest and Aston Villa so prob one of them. Forest because my dad lived in Nottingham when young.

European wise I would always had liking towards Barcelona even after beating us last year would not changed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm an Ajax fan but Liverpool have long been my second club as it used to be so hard for me to see games or even follow results pre-internet when in Ireland. Now I nearly like Liverpool as much but I'm dying to see them play each other and I'd always support Ajax in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

id just continue to support my second love Rochdale i suppose

and i follow fc uniteds progress so i think id keep myself occupied!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

If i didn't support United, i would probably be supporting Arsenal or Chelsea - as that is who the brother and dad support.

Always had a soft spot for Nottingham Forest though.
    Im Man U fan.

I have always had soft spot for Notts Forest and Aston Villa so prob one of them. Forest because my dad lived in Nottingham when young.

European wise I would always had liking towards Barcelona even after beating us last year would not changed that.

Being a Forest fan those comments deserved a thanks :D

I'd probably support someone like Everton, they have that like ability factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Being a Forest fan those comments deserved a thanks :D

I'd probably support someone like Everton, they have that like ability factor.

Ya my dad got few autographs from the 1991 side that got cup final. My dad was big fan of Des Walker he used tell me how much time he spend with kids and fans after games talking and signing autographs. He was not biggest fan of Pearce as person but said most them were pretty sound. He also got speak to Roy Keane himself when there. Actually my Dad was working with his uncle at time hence why my dad got meet players from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

The second closest side geographically to where I live, so either Finn Harps or Longford.

/Shudder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'm a United fan myself.

As for another club, Arsenal play great football but I have a bit of a soft spot for Fulham of late, so that might be who I'd pop for if I was pushed, plus they handed us a firm and deserved arse kicking earlier in the season.
    To be really honest this would all depend on the ongoing managment by Roy Hodgson.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Support Everton and Barca

But in the English if I wasn't supporting Everton, proberly Arsenal, because I like there style of footy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Surprisingly no one has said that they wouldn't support another team. Personnally I know I wouldn't support another team other than Shels, be they a LSL team or even support our AFL team. If worse happened and there was no Shels at all, I'd probably just go to the most attractive matches in Dublin.

Surprisingly no one has said that they wouldn't support another team. Personnally I know I wouldn't support another team other than Shels, be they a LSL team or even support our AFL team. If worse happened and there was no Shels at all, I'd probably just go to the most attractive matches in Dublin.

I'm reading the OP as "if your team did not exist" rather than not supporting your team:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I'm reading the OP as "if your team did not exist" rather than not supporting your team:)

He says "if you had to stop supporting" them.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

In that case I could never go Harps.

Would be no more than a fleeting interest in the Town to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Luton Town FC.

I'm ignoring that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Its actually a good question when it comes to airtricity league fans as most of our clubs are on deaths door, so to answer your question in the event of say Bohemian fc folding i doubt id ever be able to step foot in an other league of ireland ground or any football ground in this country again!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If it wasn't Galway United probably Mervue

And if it wasn't spurs probably stoke I actually really like there never say die attitude and the fact that despite critisims about there style of play it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Barca Athletic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Probably Watford.

Was born there and lived there for 2 1/2 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Leeds cause of my oul lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Mine would well be Strasbourg.. Lethal team... Steven Pele... I mean just his name is brilliant :D.

If I had to pick another English team would probably go with whoever Stephen Ireland is with so City at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

West Ham

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Forest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

After Chelsea, A.C. Milan.

They hav always been my second team regardless, I loves how they played and used to love watching them on a sunday on Football Italia :)

Players like, Maldini, Baresi, Van Basten, Guillt, Seedorf, Sheva, Weah, Kaka, all brillant footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I support Lyon but have a soft spot for Barca. Local team wise, Shamrock Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Liverpool. I can pretend we are brilliant, although we havn't won anything and no one in their right mind would argue with me.

;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The only good thing that would come out of my team going kaput would be that I'd be able to enjoy football again as a neutral. So nobody.

Though I'd retain a soft spot for Barca, Milan and Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'd switch my alliegance to my second team, the mighty Preston North End.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I support Celtic but have a huge soft spot for Barca, they are in the same way as Celtic more than a club - as there club moto states "Més que un club" (More than a club)"

They have shown this by way of never wearing a corporate sponsors advertisement on their shirt.

In fact the clubs five year agreement with UNICEF, which has them wearing the UNICEF logo on their shirts has the club paying €1.5 million per year to UNICEF instead of them receiving a fee to wear it, I think this is the only club in the world to do something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Liverpool for me if for some reason I couldn't support Man City:)

For a variety of reasons:
    They are my hubby's team
    I like the way they seem to feck up their season early on but then make up ground, in other words, they make it a rollercoaster to support them. You just don't know what's gonna happen next with them!!! Makes it interesting, kinda like being a City fan
    Their players don't come across arrogant and I generally like their fan's attitudes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There are a lot of teams who I look out for on a weekly basis.

Cardiff
    Carmarthen Town
    Caernarfon

I know people from all those places

Stoke City funnily enough, I once met a lad from Stoke in Dublin on a night out in 2006 and he noticed my Shels pinbadges, and said he'd been following us on our Euro adventures, so we swapped badges, I still wear the Stoke badge.

I also look out for all the teams Shels played in Europe over the years.

When Shels were looking doomed a few years ago, I was seriously contemplating which team I'd like to take up an interest in, I couldn't see myself just going to random games all over Dublin, so I came up with Bray Wanderers, they've always been fairly unoffensive to me, they are close, and strangely enough, I now go out with a girl from Bray, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see me going to their games should Shels fall by the wayside. I'll probably end up living in or around Bray in the future anyway, so if I can't make a Shels game for any reason, I'd definitely be down in the Carlisle.

CHD, you can buy me a pint in the Hibo or somewhere. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Always had a respect for Notts Forest however the reason Im a United fan is because all my cousins were Pool fans when I was a pup so in all likelyhood if United didnt exist Id prolly be supporting them*.

*Shudders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I doubt I could be bothered travelling to see another team play it'd be a decent amount of travel just to see their home games even so probably not worth my while supporting another team,If I moved however it would be different

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

On the continent, Ajax. First jersey I ever owned was an Ajax one... over time learned about their history, ex-players, club ethos etc. etc. Always keep an eye out for them. Look out for Valencia and Roma as well but Ajax is the main one.

In England... Spurs. Though atm supporting 'Arry(or any team under his management) would be very difficult to do :pac: Always loved their style of football and some of the classy attacking players they've had throughout the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would love an excuse to watch either Arsenal or Barcelona every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Id have to say Arsenal but when i was a younger i used to look out for the results of Wycombe Wanderers from when they were in the Vauxhall Conference , i think they had 3 successive promotions and ended up in the second division before being relegated again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tusky wrote: »
    I would love an excuse to watch either Arsenal or Barcelona every week.

Just do it privately.

No one will judge yeah.

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement