Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who would you support?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tusky wrote: »
    I would love an excuse to watch either Arsenal or Barcelona every week.

No one needs an excuse to watch football like they play.
    As a young fella I worked on a building site in Bristol. I went to a pre-season friendly (no such thing I found out) between City and Rovers at Ashton Gate. Full house, cracker of a match and a riot outside afterwards, passion in spades. I still watch out for City AND Rovers scores and would class City as a club I would support... if...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Surprisingly no one has said that they wouldn't support another team. Personnally I know I wouldn't support another team other than Shels, be they a LSL team or even support our AFL team. If worse happened and there was no Shels at all, I'd probably just go to the most attractive matches in Dublin.

you really are gunning for that level 12 at football catergory arent ya? dont worry, you will be just like this guy soon

000CF914-73E5-135F-9F010C01AC1BF814.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Jazzy wrote: »
    000CF914-73E5-135F-9F010C01AC1BF814.jpg

I despise that man and his fúcking bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If I couldn't support Spurs, probably Inter Milan. I just can't deal with the diving in the Italian game though :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Dont know much about English football since I grew up somewhere else.

But Millwall seem a nice bunch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Can't believe nobodys said Fulham!!

Have a big soft spot for them and Roy Hodgson, I'd like to have a pint with that man!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Support United

If not, Everton. Always been my second team. AnikeobeASFASD (Nigerian fella, can't remember his name) Amokachi, Duncan Ferguson, Kanchelskis, Southall.

Plus, keeping the enemy closer:D

(No really, I'm not one of these supporters that feels they have to hate the enemy. I don't wish Liverpool were relegated but can't say I'm too upset about whats going on with them ATM)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If i couldn't support Forest it would have to be Notts County. They'll be in the Championship in a couple of years anyway. Another great club with a great history who in League Two, are big fish in a small pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

if not spurs, then prob west ham...
    'I've Been Blowing Bubbles!!!!!......'

• Advertisement

Had United not been around when I was growing up, in reality I would have chosen Liverpool I'd say. Most of my friends, neighbours and family support them, I was just a rebel.:cool::P

Now, if I had to pick one English team to support other than United I'd probably pick Wolves, 'cause my Da used to support them and I like to see them do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Probably Leeds. My dad supports them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Crumlin United.
    Outside of Ireland, AFC Wimbledon are an admirable club. Either them or Zeljeznicar.

Newcastle. Been to more Toon games then pool due to my mate having season tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle. Been to more Toon games then pool due to my mate having season tickets.

Ew. Even I don't want to support Newcastle. ;)

That_Guy wrote: »
    Ew. Even I don't want to support Newcastle. ;)

Great banter over there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

major bill wrote: »
    Its actually a good question when it comes to airtricity league fans as most of our clubs are on deaths door, so to answer your question in the event of say Bohemian fc folding i doubt id ever be able to step foot in an other league of ireland ground or any football ground in this country again!!!!

Although I would find it hard to go into another LOI ground I would still tr to find a new team. l live on the southside and support Bohs . In England me favourite team is liverpool. If both went out of business I would take up supporting Manchester City and probably support the Junkies. SPA FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'd say probably Sheffield Wednesday (liked the name, the blue and white strips and the name Hillsborough) or Nottingham Forest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If no united or Rovers, another two teams from the Greater Manchester and Dublin areas would have picked me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Norwich, don't know why really. I've just always had a soft spot for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Either Arsenal, on the grounds I have a huge amount of respect for the football the club plays and the tradition of the club or Norwich, and I have no idea why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

grenache wrote: »
    If i couldn't support Forest it would have to be Notts County. They'll be in the Championship in a couple of years anyway. Another great club with a great history who in League Two, are big fish in a small pond.

i take it your not from nottingham then????:confused:

it would be like me supporting rovers:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

BOHtox wrote: »
    Although I would find it hard to go into another LOI ground I would still tr to find a new team. l live on the southside and support Bohs . In England me favourite team is liverpool. If both went out of business I would take up supporting Manchester City and probably support the Junkies. SPA FC

southsider meself and although i do have a soft spot for pats i still dont think id be able to follow them!!!!

became a member of AFC liverpool today so it would prob be them:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Currently I support United, if they ceased to exist I would support Arsenal. The last few years my hatred of them has all but disappeared. All the **** have left them (Vieira, Henry, Pires, Keown, Adams, Parlour, Dixon, Semen (giggle), Bergkunt, Cashley)

No i'm not from Nottingham :) Our main rivals are Derby. In any case i dont believe in this whole 'hate your rivals' nonsense. Forest have rarely been in the same division as Notts in recent years, you'd have to go back to the 70s for the last sustained period of rivalry between Nottingham's two clubs. County fans hate Forest for the most part (us being the bigger more illustrious club and all) but many Forest supporters just pity County. Some like me actually like to see them doing well. They're hardly ever in the same division so its not like they pose a threat to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

This happened for me a few months ago when Kildare County went out of business, before that happened whenever I was asked this question I always used to think "Oh sure I'll just support Rovers or Pats, not too far away", but when it came to it it just didn't feel right and while I would like to see either or both of them sides do well, I wouldn't say I support them. So I don't really support a team anymore, sort of Liverpool (depending on what mood I'm in) but I had followed them since before Kildare County were around.

Although I have found myself becoming more interested in football in general in the past 6 months, perhaps because its no longer causing me the stress of supporting county!

Its a bit like relationships in a way, when its over you miss it a lot and might not feel the same, but it makes life a lot easier!

No i'm not from Nottingham :) Our main rivals are Derby. In any case i dont believe in this whole 'hate your rivals' nonsense. Forest have rarely been in the same division as Notts in recent years, you'd have to go back to the 70s for the last sustained period of rivalry between Nottingham's two clubs. County fans hate Forest for the most part (us being the bigger more illustrious club and all) but many Forest supporters just pity County. Some like me actually like to see them doing well. They're hardly ever in the same division so its not like they pose a threat to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

AC Milan. I'm already a casual fan of theirs and I could never support another English team if Chelsea ceased to exist.

If ya pushed me to pick an english team I'd say Villa or West Ham.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I couldn't imagine not been able to support Bohs or Villa. Probably stop watching football of they went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I meant more who would have I supported if my teams were not around.

If my team(s) went out of existence, I'd probably just become a neutral with a few "favourite" teams.

And I find it bizarre that anybody could contemplate supporting a rival team if their team went out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Probably Liverpool or Arsenal. Luck of the draw I picked United;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Currently I support United, if they ceased to exist I would support Arsenal. The last few years my hatred of them has all but disappeared. All the **** have left them (Vieira, Henry, Pires, Keown, Adams, Parlour, Dixon, Semen (giggle), Bergkunt, Cashley)

I had this conersation with a few mates a while back.I would have hated Arsenal back a few years ago but thats no longer the case.Yes,they are nice to watch but one of my friends brought up the point that I reckon is much more accurate.The reason my dislike for them has evaporated is because they havnt been a threat for a number of years.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

How could anyone hate David Seaman?

Other than because of tribal rivalry, that is...

I'd ask Dixon too, but he is a pundit I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

How could anyone hate David Seaman?

Other than because of tribal rivalry, that is...

I'd ask Dixon too, but he is a pundit I suppose.

Aye,Keown,Viera,Parlour and Cole were hateful gits but how could you hate Henry,Pires or Bergkamp,3 immensely talented footballers that for the most part got on with their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Definitely not another english club.
    I'd go with Deportivo..was over in Barcelona to see them in a CL map but went to the Deportivo match before that...really enjoyed it.
    Failing that Juventus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Liverpool. How could you walk by and see a once great club in such dire straits and not lend a hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

couldnt support anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

stovelid wrote: »
    If my team(s) went out of existence, I'd probably just become a neutral with a few "favourite" teams.

And I find it bizarre that anybody could contemplate supporting a rival team if their team went out of business.

+1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Harchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Zebra3 wrote: »
    +1.

True. I always had a liking for a few clubs, they tend to be clubs that got relegated from Division 1 when I started following Liverpool and the following decade or so.

Swansea, Wolves, Luton and Brighton spring to mind. Would keep an eye out on their results.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Blackpool. :P

blinding wrote: »
    Liverpool. How could you walk by and see a once great club in such dire straits and not lend a hand.

Quite easily, tbh.

Tottenham

Easy on the eye, and always entertaining (if not always intentionally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Sunderland was always my B team...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Sweet Jesus this thread is pathetic. How could anybody support anybosy else is your team went bust never mind your "so called rivals". Ireland really is a nation of idiots. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If Sporting Fingal hadn't of come along when they did I would of became a Bohs fan so it's gotsa be Bohemian FC. And there's an actual small chance this may occur in this league!

• Advertisement
Advertisement