Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College ball

• 31-03-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, (very) long time lurker, first time poster! Hoping for some help on some questions I have!

My college ball is in 2 weeks and the dress code is formal. Alot of the girls are wearing full length dresses, I'm going to wear my own debs dress (tried it on today and thankfully it still fits 2 years later!) Would my boyfriend have to wear a tux? He has a suit which is absolutely lovely on him. He's broke at the moment and I was surprised enough when he said he'd come with me, and don't want to give him the extra pressure of needing a tux? Would a suit be acceptable?

Also, if possible I want to do my own hair and make up. The dress is strapless so thinking an updo would be the best option. Anyone have any ideas for some easy yet elegant styles? I have brown hair which is just past shoulder length and also a full fringe. Thank you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm not sure about the tux issue, my college doesn't do balls :(
    BUT I got one of these yokes recently in Claire's Accessories and it's such an easy way for hair a bit on the fancy side.
    HairStyleHairBunShaperBlack.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    All you have to do is a pony tail (any height, any angle), back comb it and pin it up. Simple! You could add a corsage or something to it as well. Looks really classy scooped back, especially with a strapless dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

That looks perfect Twee! Exactly the type of look I want, I don't want to be too OTT and 'debsy' and that looks really classy! I'll defo have a look in Claire's for it next time I'm near. Good idea about the corsage too, or I might try and find a silver/sparkly version of the headband in the picture. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Twee. wrote: »
    BUT I got one of these yokes recently in Claire's Accessories and it's such an easy way for hair a bit on the fancy side.
    IMG_1871.jpg
    All you have to do is a pony tail (any height, any angle), back comb it and pin it up. Simple! You could add a corsage or something to it as well. Looks really classy scooped back, especially with a strapless dress.

That thing looks class, had never heard of them before, definitely want one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

With regards to the boyfriend thing, ideally he should be in a tux- but hey, the times that are in it, nobody wants to have to shell out. He should ask around though, you never know who has bought a tux that could lend it out.

Anyway, what colour suit is it? They key thing would be to get a shirt and tie that looks dressy rather than formal- no checks, stripy stuff. Keep it simple with a white shirt and a plain coloured tie. The point of the guy wearing the tux was always to let the female partner shine in her dress, so that should be the aim. (Sorry, I'm a formalwear nerd, don't ask why!) If the budget is strict, you can get plain white shirts in dunnes that are nicer quality than penneys- but if there's a little bit extra try debenhams. You can get plain black/ silver/ etc ties pretty much anywhere these days. As long as things fit properly, he'll look great and ye'll both look awesome together, which is the point, right? ;)

Very important point made there by Zoegh, as long as it fits!! Nothing looks worse than a guy who looks like he's in his dad's/big brother's/uncle's suit!

• Advertisement

He already has a suit which I know wasn't cheap that he got a few years ago and saves for special occassions! It's plain black and the shirt is white and does look quite dressy. He has a few plain ties to go with it too. I've never seen him wearing it in person, but in pictures I think he looks great in it...although I could be biased ;) It definitely doesn't look business like anyway. He's worn it to a wedding and to a fundraising ball before. I'll ask him to ask around about a tux though anyway, never hurts to try! Thank you for the replies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

might be worth getting him to check out M&S, i got a tux (jacket,trousers,shirt,cuffs,dickie bow) there for 89 euro about 4 months 5 months or so ago. was a great fit for 89 euro and it still wears good after the night that was in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

OP I reckon your boyfriend will be absolutely fine in a nice black suit, a tux is just a posher version of same :D

Agreed with everyone else on nice white shirt too. Don't worry too much, lots of people will turn up tuxs that look horrific on them so your boyf in his nicely fitted black suit will look well dapper beside them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

He can get away with a suit. My friends boyfriend can't afford a tux either so I asked around and guys can wear suits. No biggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I know what ball this is. Please please please think twice (and get your friends to think twice) before wearing a full-length dress to it, especially if it in any way touches the ground. Debs dresses are for debs and other hotel functions. This is an outside ball, the tents do have floors but nowhere else does and there's an extreme likelihood of it getting stood on, ripped etc.etc. The tents get crushed and it's tough to dance/move away in a long dress. Heels also need to be considered- do NOT wear them if they hurt you anyway after an hour. Bring flats, even if you're a pro.

Most people wear knee-length cocktail dresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Twee. wrote: »
    IMG_1871.jpg

Twee is that a picture of your hair? Can you give me a step-by-step on how to do this?
    Do I tie my hair up normally first and then put the styler in? I can never get stuff like this to work normally for me!

Thanks.

Not me, typically I can't find mine! But I found this

step3.JPG

1. Do your normal pony tail and tie it up. You can do it high or low, or low and to the side looks nice too.
    2. Pull the pony through the ring. Back comb it like mad! Use a good amount of hair spray, and a fine comb or a paddle brush.
    3. Use hair pins, not clips, and just pin it all up. You can do it messy, or more carefully wind it in.
    4. Spray some more to keep it in place!

These are the pins
    hair-pins.jpg

I know what ball this is. Please please please think twice (and get your friends to think twice) before wearing a full-length dress to it, especially if it in any way touches the ground. Debs dresses are for debs and other hotel functions. This is an outside ball, the tents do have floors but nowhere else does and there's an extreme likelihood of it getting stood on, ripped etc.etc. The tents get crushed and it's tough to dance/move away in a long dress. Heels also need to be considered- do NOT wear them if they hurt you anyway after an hour. Bring flats, even if you're a pro.

I think I know the one you're on about, but this one isn't it! Definitely taking place in a hotel, but thanks for the heads up anyway :)

Thanks a million for that step by step guide Twee, think I may need a bit of practice....or get my mum to do it for me!! I asked my boyfriend and he said he'd ask around but he doesn't think any of his friends have a tux, but having read your replies I'm sure he'll be grand in his suit! Guys seem to not to get as worked up about this stuff anyway...!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Yeah, black suit s totally fine for a ball- get a slim white shirt and a slim black tie and he'll look only gorgeous!!!

Oh, and have fun!!!

I am going to the one you're on about :) but I want a long dress so I can wear thermals underneath!! I'm really afraid of being too cold. I've been warned about this.

I was just thinking of pinning up my dress when I get to the dancing stage of the night. :)

(Sorry for hijacking the thread!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 KathMc

of course!! my sisters boyfrind wore a tux to his but honestly u wudnt even notice it in the pictures!! love that hair vthing by the way must try one out for my own debs in august!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Larianne wrote: »
    I am going to the one you're on about :) but I want a long dress so I can wear thermals underneath!! I'm really afraid of being too cold. I've been warned about this.

I was just thinking of pinning up my dress when I get to the dancing stage of the night. :)

(Sorry for hijacking the thread!)

I'm going to this one too. My dress is long but not so long that it'll trail on the ground (about an inch above ground level) and I'm going to wearing leggings under it. Can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Larianne wrote: »

If it was anything like last year go with the thermals idea! I thought I was going to go into shock with the cold last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭SherryD

Lia_lia wrote: »
    If it was anything like last year go with the thermals idea! I thought I was going to go into shock with the cold last year.

I knew there was a reason I usually wore long dresses to it :(

Lia_lia wrote: »

Also planning on having pocket hand warmers! :D And I'll probably just bring a hoodie with me too to be honest after all the photos are taken. Feck that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement