Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i need to give up drinking

Options
  • 31-03-2010 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

because

1.im drinking way too much

2.its keeping me fat

3.its costing me a fortune

4.its causing me to be depressed

5.i wouldnt be in my current job if i wasnt drinking

But i need help, i went to an AA meeting before and it was not for me, it was full of people that were way older than me who had hurt loved ones because of their drinking, im only 31 and i want to quit for me because i dont want to grow old having not achieved my gooals because of drinking, has anyone any words of advice, i really need an outlet in the evenings and especially the weekends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

because

1.im drinking way too much

2.its keeping me fat

3.its costing me a fortune

4.its causing me to be depressed

5.i wouldnt be in my current job if i wasnt drinking

But i need help, i went to an AA meeting before and it was not for me, it was full of people that were way older than me who had hurt loved ones because of their drinking, im only 31 and i want to quit for me because i dont want to grow old having not achieved my gooals because of drinking, has anyone any words of advice, i really need an outlet in the evenings and especially the weekends

Hi OP,

I stopped drinking a few years ago for reasons 1 and 4 and I tried AA but couldn't get any decent info from them- I was not impressed when I phoned them. I know others have had better experiences but it's not for everyone.

To be honest, it sounds like you may be drinking because you are depressed, not depressed because you are drinking though I may be reading you wrong.

Are you going out drinking or are you drinking alone? My advice would differ based on whichever it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

i do alot of drinking at home but i do some in the pub watching the matches at the weekend, howver the important point is that i do most of my drinking alone

i do alot of drinking at home but i do some in the pub watching the matches at the weekend, howver the important point is that i do most of my drinking alone

Have you tried to simply stop? (I'm not being flippant in any way- I don't know how often you drink or how attached you are to it, by the way.) That's what I had to do and it meant avoiding nights out for quite some time.

Is it out of boredom you're drinking or because you're feeling low? If you are bored, pick one of the things you have been putting off for years (learn guitar, take up football again, go to an art class) or do some volunteer work- anything to keep you busy.

If you feel it's something deeper than that, maybe give counselling a go? If you're not sure why you're drinking, it might be best to get to the bottom of that so you can treat the problem and not its symptoms.

Also, I notice your username is timetogetfit. Is there any sport that you really enjoy? Maybe investing time in that would give you the boost you needed to knock the drink on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Hey OP.

I'm a log time drinker. When I look back, I started when I was 13 or 14 and ever since have not gone without at least 1 drink per week.

I'm now in my 20s and have decided that I'm becoming teetotal from now on, which may or may not eventually work into full time cessation.

What my new outlet is to get is as much endorphins per day as possible (natural feel good hormones). You can get a boost of these by working up a sweat, via exercise, sex or eating spicy food (personally i love the chicken vindaloloo, but sex is good too). These things leave you glowing on the in and outside. You feel like you wont need a drink either once you feel naturally good.

I wish you the very best in giving up alcohol. Just find something to do that makes you happy, gets you sweating and stick to it for atleast an hour a day and your mind will like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 robes

You could try an alternative approach called Lifering Secular Recovery. There's a meeting every Tuesday at 6.30pm in the Central Mission, Lower Abbey St. Dublin 1. There's info on the website that briefly tells you what it's all about
    http://sites.google.com/site/liferingireland/

There's a very good book about this approach in all the Dublin City libraries, "Empowering your Sober Self" by Martin Nicolaus.

It might work for you. You sound as if you know what you need to do, so good luck with whatever way you decide to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

Millicent wrote: »
    Also, I notice your username is timetogetfit. Is there any sport that you really enjoy? Maybe investing time in that would give you the boost you needed to knock the drink on the head.

Hi Millicent,

I'm just wondering how you managed to stop? I'm 26, hate drinking (in prospect, retrospect) but I still find myself doing it every weekend nonetheless. Its really depresssing at this stage. I'm considering addicition counselling, but really don't want to- I'd prefer just to quit. The only things is that I repeatedly fail at quitting. ANy advice on how to stick it out?

Cheers,

ZN

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

hi, i hope you can achieve you goals. make a plan and praise / treat yourself (of course not a can of beer :D) for little achievement.

yes, think of going on holiday aboard. all the money you save from drink can do you well. maybe you can treat someone else the trip too~!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Alcohol is a depressant but can be of benefit in terms of relaxation if taken in moderation.But excessive drinking alone may only worsen an already underlying depression.It is a complex area and isolating oneself is not helpful.I would suggest a chat with your doctor and/or attend other AA meetings where you will meet young people with similar problems .You are bound to find some to suit you.Many meetings focus on learning to live healthily and enjoy life without alcohol or drugs through shared experience.You have already begun to address a problem which can be sorted out.Beir Bua.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rainbouw

hi i gave up alcohol many years ago through the help of meetings.went back out drinking after 5 years sobriety. drank for another 7 years and went back to the meetings.. believe it or not speaking and sharing with people like this is not unlike an AA meeting, the only difference is that you cannot see our faces or our sex or our age.. you have done the first step in taking control of becoming sober and that is by addressing the hold that alcohol has on your life. good luck and please try to listen to the people that attend these meetings. think about it this way.. we all did not go to AA aged 50 and over. i was lucky and first went in my mid 20's today i know that without the help of experienced hard ass drinkers becoming sober there would be no me. i would be dead. hope these few words help some

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

You should get into betting.

Stay off the booze, make the bookmakers lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gomaith2010

Dont just try to cut down, commit to stopping.

There are tonnes of resources out there and a huge amount of clubs and societies out there as well for you. The one thing you will have to do is to be prepared to have loads of extra time on your hands, to do with whatever you like as you will be spending much less time hung over, drinking or in bed. Its up to you to decide which is the better option, its a no brainer really!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 josh3

last saturday four months to the day off the drink...drank again...did so again yesterday....i realise its not for me,will be back in meeting tomorrow night and hopefully into a recovery group every monday....i left two issues eat away at me and payed the price....i rang members today and got great advice and feel this might even make me stronger....sorry for being off topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

I believe lapses can well be part of a learning process. Everyone's experience is different in some ways but we do , in time, gain a kind of "wisdom" and realise that a feeling of well being and strength can be attained in sobriety and through sharing our failings ,worries and progress with others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 josh3

life was good....not perfect but good...but i know i can have that back,everyone follows a different path...i bacame little bit laxed on meetings which in turn contributed to the slip.....i should have known better as i came through treatment...i feel small sense of failure on my part,but i know if i work harder on recovery i have good chance....one day at a time...and today i did not drink....

Advertisement