Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maths Programming

• 31-03-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Do you have to be good at maths to do programming, python,perl,java

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I would say it would certainly help a good bit, doing computer science atm and programming certainly is mathematical, mainly logic

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭copz

What about the languages like java,python,perl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭padraig_f

theoretically no, you don't need a strong textbook knowledge of maths to do most programming work.

but they use such similar skillsets....logical reasoning, deduction, conceptualisation of abstract models, that I think if you struggled with maths, you would also be likely to struggle with programming.

the language doesn't matter so much. some languages make the basics easier but any significant-sized program will be complex in structure, whatever the language.

you shouldn't let that put you off trying though. anyone should be able to write small, hobbyist programs. also, some people may have been taught maths poorly in school, but have decent logical ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It depends on the type of software you want to develop, most programming, in whatever language, wouldn't require any really advanced maths. A good grasp of logic, and a methodical approach, would be a good help tho.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

copz wrote: »
    What about the languages like java,python,perl

I'm doing Java ME programming atm (also done C, C++, Java) programming, as said, its more like a language you can get fluent at, but there is a good bit of logic behind the whole thing,

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

padraig_f wrote: »
    theoretically no, you don't need a strong t I think if you struggled with maths, you would also be likely to struggle with programming.

Not guaranteed though. I always sucked at maths. For Junior cert, leaving cert I did horrible. Funny thing was, my programming skills were quite good. I could never figure out why you needed such a high maths score in the leaving cert to get into a lot of college degree programs. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Noxin wrote: »
    Not guaranteed though. I always sucked at maths.

Fair enough, and in programming, passion for the subject goes a long way. I met people who had good qualifications but had no passion or curiosity for programming, and failed miserably at it.

I still think you're using broadly similar skills for programming as for maths, but maybe the way programming was presented appealed to you better.

It's also fair to say that while programming and maths may have things in common, they're not the same either. Maths is more purely theoretical/conceptual. Programming, no matter how good you become, or how much design you do, is always going to be a process of trial-and-error. In that way it's maybe closer to scientific experiment or engineering.

Advertisement