Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Octavia Windows Open themselves

• 31-03-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi

My Dad has a 07 Skoda Octavia which he bought new recently he locks the car and leaves and when he comes back all the windows are wide open.

Anyone any idea what's causing this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is it possible that he is sitting on the key in his pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Glyni

No we have blamed him but the keys are left on a shelf at night and the windows will be open in the morning.

We did think he was leaving them open himself at first but we know he's not we've double checked its a strange one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Glyni wrote: »
    Hi

My Dad has a 07 Skoda Octavia which he bought new recently he locks the car and leaves and when he comes back all the windows are wide open.

Anyone any idea what's causing this.

Thanks

Maybe one of the door mechanisms is getting stuck.

Put the key in the door and turn the key to the unlock position and keep it there for 3 - 4 Seconds, all the windows will open.

Never heard of it happening with Central locking though :/

I guess maybe test it with the key and see if the same thing happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have heard of it happening the odd time on a selection of car types. It can be a bit of a nightmare to find the fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

For all you VAG COMmers or diagnostic cable owners, any way to disable that feature set temporary until the fault can be tracked down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

Seen this happening on a passat,(which the skodas are based on).It turned out to be a faulty earth connection on a control box either under the back seat or in the boot I think

Thanks Guys

At least now I know he's not losing it.

Second question do you know if the fault would be covered by warranty. The problem is he bought the Car from BK motors in Balbriggan who have since seased trading. Who would the 3 year warranty transfer to any ideas..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

This happened to a friend of mine's Octavia too. He said it was quite a common problem with this car. Sorry, i can't tell you how it was resolved as he gave the car back to the leasing company as the lease was up. Think it only happened once though.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Theres a tech service bulliton issues to skoda dealers about this. we got it in work. Bring it to your dealer to get the convenience control unit re-coded.

IanVW wrote: »
    Theres a tech service bulliton issues to skoda dealers about this. we got it in work. Bring it to your dealer to get the convenience control unit re-coded.

Thanks, any idea which dealer he should bring it to the one he bought the car from is now gone.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Lads its not a fault its just a handy feature that you all don't know about. I think started on the early edc15 ecus. Here's the deal, when you press the key button to lock the car and hold it down if any windows are down they go up.

If on a hot day eg. summer (If we ever get one) your car has been parked for some hours, its goin to be hot inside. You are walking across the car park roughly about 40 feet away point the key at the car press the open button and hold it for a few seconds and it opens all the leckie windows. Its on vags passat, skoda etc. It can be easly be disabled on vcds but once you know about it tiz a handy feature comprende. To avoid it simply look at the car and press the key once and watch the lights flash............................................Gordon.

Lads its not a fault its just a handy feature that you all don't know about. I think started on the early edc15 ecus. Here's the deal, when you press the key button to lock the car and hold it down if any windows are down they go up.

If on a hot day eg. summer (If we ever get one) your car has been parked for some hours, its goin to be hot inside. You are walking across the car park roughly about 40 feet away point the key at the car press the open button and hold it for a few seconds and it opens all the leckie windows. Its on vags passat, skoda etc. It can be easly be disabled on vcds but once you know about it tiz a handy feature comprende.

Ah but no one is pressing the open button when this happens The keys are still on the shelf inside the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

if it's a new car, and under manufacturers warranty, i'd imaging any skoda dealer will sort it.
    If not, contact skoda ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

pa990 wrote: »
    if it's a new car, and under manufacturers warranty, i'd imaging any skoda dealer will sort it.
    If not, contact skoda ireland

+1

Glyni its a signal problem any pro diagnostics can disable this. Just ask your dealer to do it free of charge of coarse. If they can't do it I would contact skoda Ireland and question why they got the dealership in the first place.

Sorry didn't read prop.......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Has to be an april fool, Skoda Octavia's are not that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Has to be an april fool, Skoda Octavia's are not that good.

:rolleyes:

Nearest Skoda dealers to Balbriggan are either Annesley Williams near the Airport, or Kierans on the North Road in Drogheda are authorised service agents.

If it's a service bulletin, it should be reprogrammed for free I reckon. Pretty sure it's only 2 year warranty on Skoda's so the car is out of warranty by now.

This happens quite frequently, but only ever seems to be VAG cars even though a lot of cars have the function. Had one earlier this week where a guy came down to his A4 after a night of heavy rain to find all the windows open and consequently, everything totally soaked inside :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I had this happen on my Passat and Golf. Once I turned off the convenience opening it never happened again. Now when I keep the open button pressed the car unlocks but the windows stay closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This happened to me a few months ago (07 Octavia 1.9tdi) and the dealership told me the story about holding down the lock button for 7 seconds or something activates it and opens all the windows. They said it's some sort of a security feature and they changed the settings in the key so that it takes a much longer hold to activate it now.

That was grand for a few months and it never happened again until last night when it happened again. And the keys were in the back of the house on the bedside locker and I don't think the range is that good so I don't know what to think now. Unless of course I have a strange tendency to sleep walk and play with my car keys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

why is this thread not locked yet?

Commandment #11 - thou shalt not bad mouth the Skodas :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

If on a hot day eg. summer (If we ever get one) your car has been parked for some hours, its goin to be hot inside. You are walking across the car park roughly about 40 feet away point the key at the car press the open button and hold it for a few seconds and it opens all the leckie windows. Its on vags passat, skoda etc. It can be easly be disabled on vcds but once you know about it tiz a handy feature comprende. To avoid it simply look at the car and press the key once and watch the lights flash............................................Gordon.
    Handy feature that no one knows about until it goes wrong. It was introduced first in the Passat back in 1997 when the B5 was launched. It went wrong back then and still goes wrong from time to time today. Its due to the fact that VW were so crap at giving you a car with anything that resembled an electronic convenience, when they finally did start they didn't know how to do it right! Just crap electronics really, as was stated above it can be fixed by your dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 dustyie

cable harreness cut /worn , check at rubber boot between door and car, . if only one window open check electrical plug/socket of door winder in door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

How has this thread got to 2 pages and no one has mentioned the extremely common problem with these cars??? I'm a Lexus/Saab technician and repaired many of these! The fault is in either the drivers door or front passenger door, the fault is that the wiring connection on the door control unit ( window motor) is at a bad angle and water gets lodged in the connector bridging the wires causing the windows to open, sometimes can be fixed with wd40 or sometimes needs a loom and door control unit

Advertisement