Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to be a contractor

Options
  • 31-03-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I'm started working in an Office recently, they have now (2 weeks) gotten around to paperwork.

I'll be there 9-5 mon-fri pretty much but they said I'll be a "contractor" (ie a sole trader) and not PAYE

Thats bad news for me isin't it?

No holidays
    A useless Class S PRSI contribution

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depends in they're paying you employee or contractor rates!

TBH, if the job has to be done in a certain location, in certain hours, and you can't choose either, it's hard to see that Revenue would approve of it as an employee. If you suggest ringing them to ask, you manager may reconsider. (Of course they may also just fire you.)

You can pay class A PRSI if you want ... contact Revenue for details of how (but of course make it sound like you really are a contractor if you do!)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

There are a number of tests that revenue apply to determine whether the subcontracting is real or false. You could wait it out and then when you leave seek a declaration from the scope section of DSCFA that you were an employee

follow this link
    http://www.unionconnect.ie/rights/6/

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Just from two minutes on that page linked in the previous post, it looks as if you will be declared an employee regardless of what the business defines you as.
    Unless you are able to dictate your own hours and working arrangements, you would be considered an employee.

Advertisement