If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.1 system?

Options
  • 31-03-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I am planning to update my current old speaker system. I have (maybe crazy) idea that I want to build sound system without rear speakers. Our usage is 50% TV, 40% music (mainly hard and heavy rock) and rest 10% is movies and PS3 games. Is there any good stereo receivers for building this kind of environment or should I try to built just 2.1 system? Currently I think my budget could be ~1000€.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

finhex wrote: »
    I am planning to update my current old speaker system. I have (maybe crazy) idea that I want to build sound system without rear speakers. Our usage is 50% TV, 40% music (mainly hard and heavy rock) and rest 10% is movies and PS3 games. Is there any good stereo receivers for building this kind of environment or should I try to built just 2.1 system? Currently I think my budget could be ~1000€.

Fin,

If it was me (and I have much the same usage as youself) I would go 2.1 - some of the better AV receivers now have excellent 2.1 programmes and this setup of course suits stereo with steered sub bass - for €1000 you would get a pretty serious system - I would look at something like this:

Denon AVR1910
    Monitor Audio Bronze Reference 5 Floorstanders
    Monitor Audio Bronze Reference BRW10 Subwoofer

Retail £1140 at our normal discounted pricing - Boardie price - €999.99 (phew that's close!

Keep me posted if we can assist in any way and thanks again for the post!

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

Thanks for your reply. I think better option for our current apartment is stand/shelf speakers. Do you think there is any good alternatives for those floor-standing speakers ( i.e. Monitor Audio BR2)?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey finhex.

If you wanted to keep to the same budget you could replace the BR5's with the RX1's
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=930&Mode=0&productid=959&Results=true&keys=rx1%20

This would bring you total down by about 30 Euro ish :D

You could indeed also use the BR2's and they would still sound fantastic. The RX range is that bit more refined for top end and belts outs a nice base note too!!
    I use the older RS1 as my Hifi speakers and BR6's for my home cinema fronts.

Hope this helps a little :)

I checked specs of the Denon AVR and noticed that it (and almost every other AV Receivers) are too big for our current equipment shelf which allows max. 15 cm height for amplifier. So I did some searching on forum and found out that you sell Marantz NR1501 which is small enough. Do you think that suits for my needs? Any other ideas?

I checked specs of the Denon AVR and noticed that it (and almost every other AV Receivers) are too big for our current equipment shelf which allows max. 15 cm height for amplifier. So I did some searching on forum and found out that you sell Marantz NR1501 which is small enough. Do you think that suits for my needs? Any other ideas?

Fin,

thanks again for the post - yep that's an issue that affects many of our Customers - and the Marantz NR1501 is always our answer - however it really is a better receiver than just one that you have to use when space is tight! - In it's own right it's a cracking sounding receiver especially for stereo usage.

The dimensions are 440 x 367 x 105 mm so it should fit comfortably into your slot - we sell it at just £399.95 and it's a cracking product for that money.

Keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for your reply again. After further investigations I am convinced that these could be great for me:

Marantz NR1501
    Monitor Audio RX2

But still I am not sure about subwoofer. My main concern is that BRW10 is not good for music and television, but more for bluray-/dvd-movies. Am I right?

And I also need wires for speakers. Anything else I need to buy to complete system?

Fin,

that would be a spanking system - however I would make a small tweak!

I would swap the RX2 for the RX1 and save yourself a good few quid to invest in the RXW12 subwoofer in lieu of the BRW10 - it's V A S T L Y superior!

I can do the following package price on that system for you:

RX1 / RXW12 / NR1501 - Retail should be £1499 - I will do a package price of £1199.95 - that would be an amazing system!

Keep me posted if we can assist,

ATB,

John Mc

Hi,

Thanks for your reply again. After further investigations I am convinced that these could be great for me:

Marantz NR1501
    Monitor Audio RX2

But still I am not sure about subwoofer. My main concern is that BRW10 is not good for music and television, but more for bluray-/dvd-movies. Am I right?

And I also need wires for speakers. Anything else I need to buy to complete system?

You have so great service!
    I would swap the RX2 for the RX1 and save yourself a good few quid to invest in the RXW12 subwoofer in lieu of the BRW10 - it's V A S T L Y superior!
    Yeah, RX2 was typo, I really meant RX1...

RX1 / RXW12 / NR1501 - Retail should be £1499 - I will do a package price of £1199.95 - that would be an amazing system!

ATB,

John Mc
    I'll consider this few days now, thanks!

You have so great service!
    Yeah, RX2 was typo, I really meant RX1...

See, Great minds think alike!

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

ATB,

John Mc
    Hi, if I skip buying subfoower now, what is your price for RX1 & NR1501?

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.