Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Bought Broadworks, Eden Gate roll out in 8 weeks!

• 31-03-2010 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Damo9090 wrote: »
    I'm afraid you wont get UPC BB in Eden Gate. I know Broadworks offer BB might be worth checking out.

Hi All,
    I can tell you that Broadworks has gone bust and has been / is in transition of being taken over by UPC/NTL. This will happen within the next 8 week ( if everything goes smoothly ) period. They will be extending the fiber from Charlesland to Eden Gate.

Yes, Yes, Happy days we will get high speed BB and will be able to record shows as we get the TV box like everyone else.

Will keep you posted if I hear more!

Happy Easter!!

Rgrds,
    Rofty ( I forgot the T when registering as I was in a hurry guess I gotta live with it now ):D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,043 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

worthy of a new thread given the level of disatisfaction with Broadworks in Eden Gate...

report on the takeover here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

April Fool's me thinks

April Fool's me thinks

?

the story in the Indo is from March 15th...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rofy

Just another need to know!!

The new number pads around the estate are ready to go only a few remain to be installed and then we will no longer require keys and codes to get in to the apartments as all you need is a fob. This will be handed out to all owners during a 2 day period very soon. Id say in the next comming weeks.

Regards,
    Rofty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

Spoke to an engineer from UPC today in Eden Gate who was stopped at the rack hut. He has confirmed that UPC will be offering TV, Broadband and phone to Eden Gate in the next few weeks. Today he was just having a look to see what state the current system is in, so you should find a lot of the dead channels back up again.

I also informed him about RTÉ 2 as the audio keeps dropping up and down.

I asked about the Charlesland fibre being extended and he also confirmed this would probably happen in a couple of weeks.

Speeds in Charlesland are currently 30MB Up/3MB down.

Nice !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

its a pity the broadband service provided by NTL/UPS is useless

JandS wrote: »

really? others on this forum have been quite positive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

JandS wrote: »

Also the TV reception freezes from time to time no wonder there are so many Sky dishes all over Charlesland:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

My UPC BB is great. No major issues in the year and a bit i have had it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Agree with Damo. 20mb and then 30mb superb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I'm sure you are all pumped.

Broadworks had my lady's old gaff in Blacklion.
    Woeful ain't the word.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I'm sure you are all pumped.

Broadworks had my lady's old gaff in Blacklion.
    Woeful ain't the word.

Blacklion Manor I assume - whats going to happen there now? Not much point hooking them into the antiquated Greystones system, but they can't be connected into Charlesland either.

(Do UPC have any intention of ever upgrading the old Greystones Chorus system I wonder?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

loyatemu wrote: »
    Blacklion Manor I assume - whats going to happen there now? Not much point hooking them into the antiquated Greystones system, but they can't be connected into Charlesland either.

(Do UPC have any intention of ever upgrading the old Greystones Chorus system I wonder?)

Not a scratch.
    She doesn't live there anymore.

Id say its 30 down and 3 up right = p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Am certainly interested in this. Called UPC sales and they didn't know anything about it, got routed to customer support who asked for an account number. When I said I was a new customer, promptly routed me back to sales. :rolleyes:

I guess there's still no news on this.. here's hoping it's coming soon enough. Sales person did mention that the packages for broadband were changing in about 3 months, not sure how or to what configuration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

patience....was out for a walk last week and observed the contractor RN Networks (I think that's what was on the van) pulling fibre cable right up to Eden Gate...then the following day I saw 3 guys with hi-vis jackets with UPC on the back doing a walk up the SAR right beside Eden Wood on the opposite side....its probably only a matter of days before you'll get a flyer in the door saying that you have the full TV, phone and broadband service that Charlesland has!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

astrofluff wrote: »
    patience....was out for a walk last week and observed the contractor RN Networks (I think that's what was on the van) pulling fibre cable right up to Eden Gate...then the following day I saw 3 guys with hi-vis jackets with UPC on the back doing a walk up the SAR right beside Eden Wood on the opposite side....its probably only a matter of days before you'll get a flyer in the door saying that you have the full TV, phone and broadband service that Charlesland has!

Cool, thanks! I guess I was just a tad surprised that the sales peeps didn't really know of these potential additions to their network, but I suppose it's tough to be apprised on everything. :o

Good to hear that this seems to be happening, looking forward to those flyers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

astrofluff wrote: »

Some places in charlesland don't have everything UPC provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

really? like where in Charlesland?? I would have thought the same cable system serves each premises in Charlesland.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

All of Charlesland can avail of BB and phone.

HD is not available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Opposite in bray we can get tv but no internet, I just want high speed broadband is that to much to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Opposite in bray we can get tv but no internet, I just want high speed broadband is that to much to ask.
    The problems there us that a) the main feed for most of Bray comes in through a cable duct that is owned by Eircom, and b) the currently installed cable doesn't have the bandwidth for these services or the new HD service.

Regarding point a), Eircom won't allow UPC to offer competing services (i.e. BB and phone) via cables using that duct so UPC will have to dig up the road/pavement/whatever to install a completely new cable duct to install the fibre needed to supply these services.

According to a contact within UPC this upgrade is definitely planned but not probably until some time in 2011. It's not entirely their fault either as they had plans to do this in 2010, but local councils have been messing them around with planning permission and such like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

Have a family member working for UPC.

Word has it that there is fibre down in Charlesland which they will be bringing up to Eden Gate.

There is a lot of activity around Eden Gate at the moment. Looks like they have been re-laying cables to all the apartments from the hut. Not sure what they have put down.

EDIT: Sorry. I see in an earlier post that it looks like the fibre is being brought up.

Woo hoo !

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gargamello

Radio|Man wrote: »
    Have a family member working for UPC.

Word has it that there is fibre down in Charlesland which they will be bringing up to Eden Gate.

There is a lot of activity around Eden Gate at the moment. Looks like they have been re-laying cables to all the apartments from the hut. Not sure what they have put down.

EDIT: Sorry. I see in an earlier post that it looks like the fibre is being brought up.

Woo hoo !

I was just on to UPC there as I am holding out for all three phone, bb and tv, before I switch.
    The customer service lady said that she had nothing on the system, about Eden Gate, but if activity in the area has been seen it normally takes 3 months from the start to get an average estate hooked up.

She did mention that all the cabling that Broadworks did has to be redone as it was analogue only and won't support digital tv (seems almost unbelievable that Broadworks did this - that is of course unless you were a customer of them!)

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows, is the broadband via the coax or the phone system?

Gargamello wrote: »
    I was just on to UPC there as I am holding out for all three phone, bb and tv, before I switch.
    The customer service lady said that she had nothing on the system, about Eden Gate, but if activity in the area has been seen it normally takes 3 months from the start to get an average estate hooked up.

She did mention that all the cabling that Broadworks did has to be redone as it was analogue only and won't support digital tv (seems almost unbelievable that Broadworks did this - that is of course unless you were a customer of them!)

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows, is the broadband via the coax or the phone system?
    UPC will have all the services via the TVbox, coax.
    Just a quick FYI, if you want free BB in Eden Gate hook up any cable modem to the tv-socket connection and away you go no need for passwords just make sure it is set to get IP of DHCP. So much for security with Broadworks (aka lamers) I know people in Eden Gate that have had free broadband for over 2 years.
    Once we switch to UPC it will be shut down. On another note all the cables are pulled and or replaced and UPC are now in a testing phase. You will have all the services before end of august by the looks of things.

Does any one know if there has been any progress yet on the UPC fibre work? I have not seen any activity at all myself.

Gargamello wrote: »
    Does any one know if there has been any progress yet on the UPC fibre work? I have not seen any activity at all myself.
    Seems to have slowed down. I saw them pull fiber through the suage systems in Eden Gate, also the cavel TV box to the apartments has been upgraded with 2x thick cables. It all looks ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Rofy wrote: »
    Seems to have slowed down. I saw them pull fiber through the suage systems in Eden Gate, also the cavel TV box to the apartments has been upgraded with 2x thick cables. It all looks ready to go.

I called them yesterday. I was told that broadband will be available in a few months :(

Kruk wrote: »
    I called them yesterday. I was told that broadband will be available in a few months :(

Well at least that's progress. I rang them about a month ago and the girl knew nothing about Eden Gate getting tv/bb/phone. At least Eden Gate is on their system now.

• Advertisement

Ok, latest news in relation to UPC and Eden Gate:

They pulled the connecting fiber up to a manhole at the roundabout going up to us from Charlesland and were about to connect it when they discovered that the manhole at Eden Gate is not joined so it is a dead end. They have applied for permission to drill through and it is currently on a table at Wicklow County Council. The only way to push this to speed things up is to do as me and call Wicklow Council and complain and ask them to make a move on.
    UPC confirmed that we would have been connected 2 weeks ago and all services would be running if this issue had been dealt with in the past when building the estate.

Concidering how slow things move in Ireland Id say we be lucky to see it by Xmas.

Crap I know but help out and call the Council if you want some action and good service.

Broadworks should be sent to hell! Cheap crappy solutions!!

Advertisement