Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday in Galway questions

Options
  • 31-03-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭

The Easter thread got me thinking...some Good Friday in Galway questions..

I remember a *lot* of restaurants serving vino with meals on gf, were they just chancing their arms or was it a legit loophole?

Are there any pubs that anyone knows of doing the 'opening for food only' thing in Galway?

Theatre license, anyone know if that's kept or rescinded? (it's the day when never-to-be-seen-dead-at-a-theatre-all-year-goers miraculously feel the need for some drama....and a bar).

Not that I want to go on the lash, just have friends in town :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

i think there chancing there arms but think nearlly every restaurant does or else pubs would find away round it, but this bag of tayto for 4 euro and have a free pint on us

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

You could always buy a ticket for a train journey to Limerick and drink to your heart's consent. Actually Limerick might be the place to be on Friday, aside from the rugby match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Heard on Matt Cooper there a couple of weeks ago when they were on about the whole Limerick opening on Good Fri saga that a load of places in Galway got done last year for serving alcohol. I think they were on about restaurants but when the court case came around the judge threw them all out of court saying that it was an outdated law. Probably will have more chancing there arm after that.

I always thought though that restaurants could serve drink if you were having a meal. I know hotels can if you are a resident there and also the rugby stadium is going to be serving drink during the Connaught game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

s_carnage wrote: »
    I always thought though that restaurants could serve drink if you were having a meal. I know hotels can if you are a resident there and also the rugby stadium is going to be serving drink during the Connaught game.
    No they won't - the IGB got orders from on high and now there will be no booze served in the sportsground on friday. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

i presume the head shop will be business as usual this good friday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

Also, does anyone know will clubs be open til 2am tonight or do they have to stop serving at midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    No they won't - the IGB got orders from on high and now there will be no booze served in the sportsground on friday. :mad:

Are you serious? How is that fair???

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

mstan wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know will clubs be open til 2am tonight or do they have to stop serving at midnight?

Most clubs are closed in Galway tonight. Any bars and clubs that stay open will stop serving at 11.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Steamer wrote: »
    Are you serious? How is that fair???
    When it comes to screwing Connacht anything goes nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

God, I can't wait till they get rid of this outdated and discriminatory legislation. As a working musician making most of my bread on a Friday night, I lose the guts of a week's wages every year because of it. And really there is no place for this sort of religious interference in the running of a modern multicultural republic. Down with Catholic control of schools and the RTE angelus too, roll on the secular state!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 The Bug

Anyone know if the motor tax office / county concil buildings will be open tommorrow (Good Friday)? :confused:

Advertisement