Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Baby Can Read

Options
  • 31-03-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi

I watched an advertisement on the City Channel about a product called Your Baby Can Read, it consists of DVDs, Learning boards and books. I am very interested in purchasing these as they have very successful feedback.

I have gone onto their website and I went to purchase them but noticed they have not got PayPal just a place for your credit card details. But im not comfortable giving the card details without paypal.

Did anyone buy this product from this site? Or does anyone know if I can purchase them in Ireland or online shops that have paypal?

Thank you

Gormixx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Without the website name/url, nobody here can advise you.

As for the product itself, I've seen video clip of a 4 year old child reading at the level of a 10 year old after being thought with the aid of this product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

It's a circus trick! Tried the dvd on my 13 month old. Not too impressed as it is word association so as to recognise words without any understanding of letters or spelling. She wasn't too interested anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

What's the hurry with learning to read anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Why rush their growing up? Children learn to read at different ages and stages.

Let them learn what they need to learn as toddlers, to walk, to play, to sing and dance and be happy.

You would be better spending your money on books - picture books, lift the flap books, texture books - there are millions of beautiful books out their for children of all ages from birth up.

Teach them a love of books when they are young and they will always have it. Reading will follow in due time.

Stop rushing them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

And when they get to school and go back to the level of the normal school-goer they will be bored stupid and restless. That won't end well imho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The that's not my... books are great for starting an early love of books and because the pages are textured they understand each page and think that they are reading:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gormixx

Thank you all for your replies. I think I will leave it as I dont trust the site. I took on board all your advice. It is my first child so I just want the best for him.

Thank you all ,

Gormixx

Grawns wrote: »
    It's a circus trick! Tried the dvd on my 13 month old. Not too impressed as it is word association so as to recognise words without any understanding of letters or spelling. She wasn't too interested anyway.

Thanks a million for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

You're welcome :) I did some research about early learning and I found that early exposure to other languages does provide a learning advantage. Early reading doesn't. Watching Sesame Street on TG4 would be helpful. Must do it myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

gormixx wrote: »
    Hi

I watched an advertisement on the City Channel about a product called Your Baby Can Read, it consists of DVDs, Learning boards and books. I am very interested in purchasing these as they have very successful feedback.

I have gone onto their website and I went to purchase them but noticed they have not got PayPal just a place for your credit card details. But im not comfortable giving the card details without paypal.

Did anyone buy this product from this site? Or does anyone know if I can purchase them in Ireland or online shops that have paypal?

Thank you

Gormixx
    Glad you decided against it OP. It sounds more like a bit of marketing aimed at parents like yourself who want the best for their kids. Marketing people are 'mostly' unscrupulous and just want to 'sell sell sell' by any means that they can get away with.

Personally if I think a good question to ask on the parenting forum for you would be: in their / our experience found to be the best learning / development aids for their babies and toddlers.

Nothing like a tried and tested product or method from real people:)

I found Baby Einstein vids great for v.young kids to introduce them to shapes colours etc. The vids seem to talk their language. And as bonus give mum or dad a break at times as well as baby / toddler will be fascinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Grawns wrote: »
    You're welcome :) I did some research about early learning and I found that early exposure to other languages does provide a learning advantage. Early reading doesn't. Watching Sesame Street on TG4 would be helpful. Must do it myself. :)

My own child mentioned Sesame St today as a different language program. She is interested in it as she is learning at a Gaolscoil.

Plus when you think about it. The methodology of teaching on this online marketed program could actually adversely affect the childs development in school. I imagine it would not be part of any approved taught curriculum.

It could and probably would (in my opinion) give the child preconceieved notions of how reading should be learned thereby damaging their learning experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

howdy, I could read before I went to school, my mother taught me, and I've retained a love of books to this day - however even she admits that I was always in trouble in school (for chatting!) until the other kids caught up!

As littlebitdull says
    Teach them a love of books when they are young and they will always have it.

thats the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Why would you want your baby to read anyway? It's a baby fgs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

you could get the baby to read the lisbon treaty for example - so you wouldn't have to.

time-saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

More and more kids are going to be reading before they go to school, if the average age of kids starting school keeps going up.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    howdy, I could read before I went to school, my mother taught me, and I've retained a love of books to this day - however even she admits that I was always in trouble in school (for chatting!) until the other kids caught up!

As littlebitdull says

thats the truth.

Thank you for your advice.
    I might not buy this product as I dont trust their website. But off course I am going to buy him dvds and books with pictures with the ABCs and pictures of animals and colours etc to help him learn everyday words to help his development. Every child needs that little help before school you cannot rely on school to teach your child everything.

ninja900 wrote: »
    More and more kids are going to be reading before they go to school, if the average age of kids starting school keeps going up.

I agree with you children are being thought French and Spanish in play school as 75% of a 3 year old childs brain is developed.. The earlier you teach children the better. They crave learning believe it or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

we did baby signing with ours, got really into it and found it very useful in the first year and a half. The next major "project" was making sure they grew up bilingual. We have played aound with reading numbers and music as and when it suited. My eldest is 5 and can now read books like the Dr Seuss books. There was no pressure and it seemed to click with him how to sound out the words.
    Not really to concerned about the school. I wouldnt be the type to leave everything to them even though he goes to a very good one. There are also plenty of other activities like music etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Silverharp, I have a 5 month old and want to start signing soon, any particular books you reccomend? Thanks.

beachbabe wrote: »
    Silverharp, I have a 5 month old and want to start signing soon, any particular books you reccomend? Thanks.

have the book here - Baby Signs "how to talk with your baby before your baby can talk" by Linda Acredolo

it did the job , check the reviews on Amazon. Its worth doing, it was fun having junior out in the buggy pointing and signing every car, car wheel, dog and anything else that passed us by. It must be good for them to be able to express themselves before they can speak.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

we did baby signing with ours, got really into it and found it very useful in the first year and a half. The next major "project" was making sure they grew up bilingual. We have played aound with reading numbers and music as and when it suited. My eldest is 5 and can now read books like the Dr Seuss books. There was no pressure and it seemed to click with him how to sound out the words.
    Not really to concerned about the school. I wouldnt be the type to leave everything to them even though he goes to a very good one. There are also plenty of other activities like music etc.

How very hippy-like for such a right winger! :p

nesf wrote: »
    How very hippy-like for such a right winger! :p

:D Eek! , I'll have to take down the Spongebob posters and replace them with some Atlas Shrugged!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

this website is great for baby signing http://signingbaby.com/main/?cat=14 it is what i used for both mine and it was useful (still is)
    Re books the Osbourne Phonic readers are a great set for teaching repetition and rhyming. http://www.redhouse.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productSearch_10151_18251_182199_100___10_SimpleSearch_2_1_2__basicSearch_phonic
    our little guy can recite books he likes from memory since he was 2. loves them. little doll is not such a book fan, likes the lift the flap kind, where the little man only wanted stories. each child is different.
    A love of reading is the best gift any parent can give a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

My wife and I plan on signing with our baby starting around 6 months. We also have the "Your Baby Can Read" system, which has value (contrary to opposing opinions here) but should not be considered an alternative to phonetic learning of words. It should be considered as complimentary - e.g. children can learn to read faster via word recognition as with this system, but must also (and slightly later) be introduced to phonetic (traditional) learning.

We're moving to Dublin from the US soon and we also hope to learn Gaelige ourselves so we have a bilingual home. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Have to agree with other posters...

Why?

In my opinion, this time would be far better spent with your young child playing and interacting with them in other way, developing motor skills and all that other stuff.

They'll learn to read in good time and as another poster said, when they're old enough, encouraging and supporting their reading efforts and fostering a love of books and learning will pay real dividends.

I've never been so proud as the morning when I went to kiss DD goodbye, there she was sitting up in her bed reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

to the OP - I think that you would be better off to develop a love of literature by reading to your child frequently. Even if your child is young, you should join a library and start taking out lots of books. The librarians will be only to happy to suggest suitable reading material. The illustrations and rhyming books are becoming more sophisticated every year. If you help your child to develop a positive attitude towards reading (by reading good books to him/her and by making reading time a special one-on-one time between you and your child) they'll learn to read in a manner that will make them readers for life...and not readers who'll develop a dislike for it in infants when they start to re-learn all the letters and start sounding out CVC words.

to a different poster - How do you mean the average age for attending school keeps rising? Has it not been 4/5 for a long time, with the option of sending your child at 6. I didn't think it had been raised? In fact I thought more children were sending children at 4 rather than 5 now so that they didn't have to pay for babysitters/playschool for an extra year? I don't have figures to back that up, but it was an assumption that I had. Where have you heard that the admittence age is rising?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

And as another poster said, developing fine motor skills (strength in hands) is very important for a child before they learn to write. Playing with sand, jig-saws, lego, beads, painting etc is very good.

Advertisement