Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy problems

Options
  • 31-03-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Ok I seem to be having a few minor problems with my new puppy. She is a pug and 9-10 weeks old. Any suggestions would be great!!

1. Obssessed with biting peoples nipples through shirts or jumpers. She just seems to know where they are! Not so fun after the 3rd bite when they feel like theyre going to fall off. Shes been weaned for 3 weeks now, so I dont think its a missing the mothers teat problem, but I could be wrong.

2. Constantly whines to be picked up, which I am not doing. But I confuse this with her whining when she needs to go outside.

3. If its cold outside she doesnt like to go out and will come back inside and immediately pee on the carpet. Also, does this when its not cold, but not as much.

4. Doesnt know her name. And now refuses to even acknowledge me when we are outside and I call her name. At first she used to constantly stick by my side and come when called. But now she is getting older and bolder!

5. Has some weird habit of loving to chew used ciggarette butts she finds outside.

Any help at all or suggestions would be great!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

1. Obssessed with biting peoples nipples through shirts or jumpers. She just seems to know where they are! Not so fun after the 3rd bite when they feel like theyre going to fall off. Shes been weaned for 3 weeks now, so I dont think its a missing the mothers teat problem, but I could be wrong.

Wear the thickest bra ya can get

2. Constantly whines to be picked up, which I am not doing. But I confuse this with her whining when she needs to go outside.

Put her outside when she whines, so she'll learn whining gets her outside therefore only do it when she needs to pee

3. If its cold outside she doesnt like to go out and will come back inside and immediately pee on the carpet. Also, does this when its not cold, but not as much.

Puppys will do this unless you go outside and stand with them & praise them for going in the garden

4. Doesnt know her name. And now refuses to even acknowledge me when we are outside and I call her name. At first she used to constantly stick by my side and come when called. But now she is getting older and bolder!

She'll learn eventually just keep at it, have a treat ina curled first, kneel down, call her, if she comes to her name reward her with the treat.

5. Has some weird habit of loving to chew used ciggarette butts she finds outside.

Don't leave cigarette butts lying around where she can get them.

:D yes sooo helpful me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

he needs to be thought bite control (enrole him in puppy classes i highly reccomend dog training ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

just wondering what age you got her i my personal view is pups should stay with mom till about 10 weeks as they can learn so much in the weeks 9 and 10 in how to behave from there mom

tip when she bites - yelp like it hurts - she should realize and stop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

PaulB91 wrote: »
    just wondering what age you got her i my personal view is pups should stay with mom till about 10 weeks as they can learn so much in the weeks 9 and 10 in how to behave from there mom

tip when she bites - yelp like it hurts - she should realize and stop
    I second this. When she bites yelp, then put her on the floor and refuse to play any more. She'll soon learn that biting only get her a whole lot of boredom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

he needs to be thought bite control (enrole him in puppy classes i highly reccomend dog training ireland)

DTI are brilliant. Puppy classes will teach the pup how to play and socilaise it and also you'll learn commands etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

Thanks for the tips guys.

I do the yelping when she bites and stop playing with her. But she thinks its a game and bites more.

I do not smoke, but when we go outside there are butts around since we live in apartments. I have no idea why she likes the smell/taste of them! Gross!

Ive been using the clicker training with treats. Also, I praise her and give her a treat when she does a poo/wee outside.

I like the comment about taking her outside whenever she whines. Thats a great idea! Cause she wants to be picked up/held alot, so it confused me.

I got her when she was 8 weeks old. The lady said she had been eating food for 10 days. She wasnt giving them dog food, but instead some weird concoction! It was milk, hot water, slice of bread, and a raw egg. All mixed together to form a mush. The dogs did love it, but I wasnt sure about feeding her raw eggs. So I gradually weaned her off it onto a dry puppy food.

!!
    sorry i missed this first time round , do not allow this to happen it eating butts can kill people small dogs will be effected alot sooner than a person

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thanks for the tips guys.

I do the yelping when she bites and stop playing with her. But she thinks its a game and bites more.

I do not smoke, but when we go outside there are butts around since we live in apartments. I have no idea why she likes the smell/taste of them! Gross!

Ive been using the clicker training with treats. Also, I praise her and give her a treat when she does a poo/wee outside.

I like the comment about taking her outside whenever she whines. Thats a great idea! Cause she wants to be picked up/held alot, so it confused me.

I got her when she was 8 weeks old. The lady said she had been eating food for 10 days. She wasnt giving them dog food, but instead some weird concoction! It was milk, hot water, slice of bread, and a raw egg. All mixed together to form a mush. The dogs did love it, but I wasnt sure about feeding her raw eggs. So I gradually weaned her off it onto a dry puppy food.

Nothing wrong with raw egg, its actually very good for them. But the bread and milk wouldnt be of any nutritional value at all and the pup shouldnt be getting milk as it doesnt agree with them.

How long is she on the food you are feeding? if its only recently it could be just her tummy getting used to it and hence the wind as its a big change in diet for her. So maybe see how she goes for another week or 2. If shes still full of wind then i would maybe change the food (gradually) as it might not be agreeing with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Having gone through the puppy stage our guy is 10 months now here's a few tips.

. Obssessed with biting peoples nipples through shirts or jumpers. She just seems to know where they are! Not so fun after the 3rd bite when they feel like theyre going to fall off. Shes been weaned for 3 weeks now, so I dont think its a missing the mothers teat problem, but I could be wrong.

Keep plenty of chew toys to hand, have the house full of them so you have one to hand at all times, a firm 'no' and hand the pup a toy instead. Or get up and walk away straight away before she has a chance to bite. Puppies hate being ignored but they do go through a naughty stage of biting and nipping and it can hurt.
    She's trying her luck if she's fully vaccinated get her mixing with other friendly dogs and puppies this helps a lot because other pups and dogs won't tolerate the biting and will let her know.

Puppies at this age can cry if you walk 2 feet away from them. Get a strict routine going of letting the pup out on the hour every hour for a pee, if she can get to a place where other dogs have peed before this can encourage her to pee outside in the same spot.

You need to pick her up and take her outside and close over the door and stay with her and watch her until she does her pees/poops. By watching her you can be sure she's gone and you can start to pick up on when it looks like she's going to poo or pee. It does mean standing outside at all hours in your pjs but she's very young and some pups take weeks or months so you just have to be consistant.

Get tiny pieces of cheese, ham or sausage. Teeny pieces. Have them to hand, say your dogs name..nothing else just her name. When she looks at you straight away give her some ham or whatever ..it has to be soft so it's quick to eat. That way you are getting the pups attention.
    Keep practicing this daily and you can move on to 'sit' and being able to take her gently by the collar to put a lead on.

Puppies will eat anything and everything from plastic to paper to stones, this is something you just have to be vigilent about, just like a toddler they'll put everything in their mouths and swallow it without thinking and they can be fast so you just have to be one step ahead of her.

Would highly recommend she goes to puppy classes though they will show you all the tricks and give you support when you go through the tough times.

As mentioned DTI are great or any trainer in your area that uses similar humane methods of training.

Get tiny pieces of cheese, ham or sausage. Teeny pieces.

Not puppy friendly or dog friendly treats in my eyes due to the amounts of salt in them & god knows what else. Aldi make soft dog treats in a black & purple bag & other packs with 20 soft strips that you can break down into smaller pieces, dunno what is in them but pups & dogs looovvve them compared to more expensive well known brand names. Used them to train all the dogs here with only treats that actually worked a treat, them & the small sugar free choc drops for dogs.

I know you said teeny pieces but what's tenny to us & may not effect some dogs, it could seem like a huge chunk to others & cause serious problems & sickness. Just better safe than sorry is all I think.

• Advertisement

Get tiny pieces of cheese, ham or sausage. Teeny pieces.

Not puppy friendly or dog friendly treats in my eyes due to the amounts of salt in them & god knows what else. Aldi make soft dog treats in a black & purple bag & other packs with 20 soft strips that you can break down into smaller pieces, dunno what is in them but pups & dogs looovvve them compared to more expensive well known brand names. Used them to train all the dogs here with only treats that actually worked a treat, them & the small sugar free choc drops for dogs.

I know you said teeny pieces but what's tenny to us & may not effect some dogs, it could seem like a huge chunk to others & cause serious problems & sickness. Just better safe than sorry is all I think.
    There is nothing wrong with cheese and plain ham. hot dogs can be ok but most sausages can be too spicey . above these is coachies (about 699 for a tub of 300g i have had a tub about two weeks and there is still a week and a half left)

2 of the dogs here couldn't hack crumbs of cheese, ham as pups, left them vomiting like mad ... cheers OH for giving it to them!!

2 of the dogs here couldn't hack crumbs of cheese, ham as pups, left them vomiting like mad ... cheers OH for giving it to them!!
    Thats very odd , cheese is very common for training treats :confused:

I know, but ever since it made two out of the four sick it was a no no for me, I had enough to be cleaning from their house training without more mess lol

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

Ahh the woes of having a puppy! Sorry to be useless but ye're all making me broody for another hairy, biting, four legged baby! My fella's gone for the weekend and I miss him!!

Advertisement