Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamster building nest in wheel

Options
  • 01-04-2010 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

My little hammie Squiggles (syrian hamster) keeps building her nest in the wheel. She puts all her fluff and food in there. Then she tries to run on it! All the food goes flying and smacks her in the head. I feel really bad for her!

I took the wheel off and she finally made a nest in her house. Each time I clean the cage, I keep her old nesting material and put it in her house. She then drags it to the second level and put it in the wheel. I put kept the wheel off for 3 days and she slept in her house no problem. But soon as the wheel went back on, her nest was back in it.

She needs exercise, so I cant just let her keep the nest there. She has a ball to run around in, but needs something to run on at night.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Get a Flying Saucer Hamster Wheel ;). You could either put it along side the one that is being used for nesting (possibly securing the nesting one) or try it on its own. Might take a short time for the hamster to adapt to but should be fine. Because of the shape of it should solve the problem with material hitting the hamster.

cheap enough to on ebay too

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

Thanks for the tip, I had never seen this type of wheel! I just bought one on ebay, cheap too at only 3.50! I hope its works.

Advertisement