Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm done with infrared

• 01-04-2010 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Through. Finished.

I...well where do I start? It's been fun. Misadventures at 720nm, my infrared blog, represents a real learning experience spread out over the past few months. I've learned the spectrum, the light, what's interesting and what's boring, but at the end of it all: The boring wins. I've done it all, and I've done it all in infrared. The thought of taking that little black filter out of its case and screwing it onto my lens makes me feel almost physically ill. I mean. Look at every infrared photograph: White trees, black sky. Boring boring boring.

I'm shifting format, effective today. I want to keep up with what I have done by staying away from visible light. In fact, I'm moving totally down the scale. Radio-wavelength portrait photography. Something unique, new and different enough to make me stand out from the crowd. 720 nanometers? That's dead and gone. The kit has been ordered, delivered and assembled. The software has been loaded. The tutorials have been read. As of tomorrow Misadventures at 10m will go live.

20100331231107_10m.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I look forward to seeing some results, I've heard this is the next Big thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Thanks for the support. :) This has been a big change for everyone involved in the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

If I wear my tinfoil hat will you still be able to take my picture?

nilhg wrote: »
    If I wear my tinfoil hat will you still be able to take my picture?

Actually yeah-contrary to popular belief tinfoil acts as an amplifier at radio wavelengths. Expense be dammed, I'm seriously considering having a 10x10 foot custom metallic foil drape made for my studio work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Good call, I've been trying out 122mm imaging with a bank of magnetrons I got out of old microwave ovens from the recycling centre. Short exposures is the trick otherwise the results look overcooked. The real downside is how freaked out subjects get if you don't use a visible light flash. Talk about a drama queen tantrum, writhing on the floor and crawling out with blood-curdling screams, all because they assume the shot won't be great. Sad. Vanity, definitely one of the 7 deadly sins.

Four words: Natural light radio photography. Sunlight? Hah. I'll be using the light of twelve billion year old quasars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

Fenster,

this sound very interesting.

I have a few questions, what sort of detectors are you using?

What sort of resolution are you hoping for(what the maximum
    disistance between detectors)?

Have you heard of the "white dialectric material"?

Are you talking to the astronomy heads in NUI,G? Maybe one of the MacDonalds?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

tried looking up this stuff... to no avail. whats it all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Fenster wrote: »
    Through. Finished.

I...well where do I start? It's been fun. Misadventures at 720nm, my infrared blog, represents a real learning experience spread out over the past few months. I've learned the spectrum, the light, what's interesting and what's boring, but at the end of it all: The boring wins. I've done it all, and I've done it all in infrared. The thought of taking that little black filter out of its case and screwing it onto my lens makes me feel almost physically ill. I mean. Look at every infrared photograph: White trees, black sky. Boring boring boring.

I'm shifting format, effective today. I want to keep up with what I have done by staying away from visible light. In fact, I'm moving totally down the scale. Radio-wavelength portrait photography. Something unique, new and different enough to make me stand out from the crowd. 720 nanometers? That's dead and gone. The kit has been ordered, delivered and assembled. The software has been loaded. The tutorials have been read. As of tomorrow Misadventures at 10m will go live.

20100331231107_10m.jpg

Boring Boring Boring geek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

This is pretty cool, if you don't like it you could else where, there are thousand of other threads.

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    Boring Boring Boring geek

Born a virgin, die a virgin, I say. I may as well indulge myself and maybe carve out a unique and valuable photography niche on the road.

Born a virgin, die a virgin, I say. I may as well indulge myself and maybe carve out a unique and valuable photography niche on the road.

You don't need all that stuff to make a good photo. It's all about finding the right setting, scene. To hell with equipment. Like what the hell is going on in that picture you attached? Jaysus.

True. It's all about light in the end. My light is just a different kind.

True. It's all about light in the end. My light is just a different kind.

Nope, we're all the same. Sunlight and a lens. Yep, we're all the same. No less, no better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

anyone wanna explain what this is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

It's fairly obvious what this is.

Art.

Art.

A load of nonense really. Get out your nikon.

Art.

as in the technique, the theory, the equipment used, examples etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Oh never mind, I'm enjoying this. Nice house Fenster :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

People probably gave the same Negativity to picasso or that guy who paints with elephant crap. Go on ya good thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Very nice, very big. Wont be able to fit it in my apartment... unless the girlfriend moves out.

Seen as I supported you at the start can I get a use of it when you bring it on the roadshow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've done it all, and I've done it all in infrared.
    No you haven't. I've never seen any IR portraits from you for a start. You were all gung ho about doing an exhibition with IR photos only a few weeks ago. Are you just giving up because you have become frustrated with your own output?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

There are gonna be some very red faces in here once the penny drops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Do you have a Radio Licence to operate that set up?

Post some images soon or this gets moved to the Amateur Radio Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

CabanSail wrote: »
    Do you have a Radio Licence to operate that set up?

Post some images soon or this gets moved to the Amateur Radio Forum.

Wavelength Fascist !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Nisio wrote: »
    People probably gave the same Negativity to picasso or that guy who paints with elephant crap. Go on ya good thing!!

And they weren’t wrong!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Wavelength Fascist !

Show me the FILM that will work in that spectrum then?

This will not be Photography as there is no Light & hence does not comply with the definition.

Will give this until tomorrow to make a case otherwise it gets moved across.

• Advertisement

This will not be Photography as there is no Light & hence does not comply with the definition.

You should point this out to your doctor the next time you go and get an XRay :D

This thread is epic win

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

people, he's just taking photos using a microwave as a pinhole camera. big swinging mickey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I'm loving it :)

Well done on pushing the boundaries of traditional photography:D:D

On a more serious note, I've taken a picture or two (including portrait shots) with various radiometers at sub-millimetric wavelengths, some of which have been very revealing :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I know you like to be different mark, but I think you're not thinking different enough - forget wavelengths and the electromagnetic spectrum, pin art is the next big thing

276402.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I know you like to be different mark, but I think you're not thinking different enough - forget wavelengths and the electromagnetic spectrum, pin art is the next big thing

[/IMG]

That's particulary suited to portraiture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Best of luck with that mate - big step, certainly different! :D

Anyone know what frequency those new security body scanners use for imaging, like the ones the EU is flogging, and can they be made very small and discrete? I don't want it for anything dodgy it's above board and legit. Thanks in advance.

PM sent

Tactical wrote: »
    PM sent
    Cheers Tactical, that's exactly what I was after. Had this plan for years but had to wait for the technology. And that's just one of my ideyas.

democrates wrote: »
    Had this plan for years but had to wait for the technology.

You too eh ? Now so long as they don't start sewing microwave resistant stuff into gurls clothes i'll be swingin'

• Advertisement

Too late I'm afraid.
    As a spin off to the development of this technology a range of undergarments will be shortly available to the travelling public to preserve modesty when scanned by an imager at an airport.

When released it'll be a huge seller. From a photographic angle the models (both male and female) will be photogrphed by traditional methods and by an imager to actually show what the undergarments achieve.

Thanks for the undergarment info lads but I have to stress it's not for that sort of thing so double gussets etc. won't affect the strategy direction going forward.

What is wrong with you? It's all one big and happy part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Radio waves and light waves mightn't be brother and sister, but they're definitely first (or maybe second) cousins.

What is wrong with you? It's all one big and happy part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Radio waves and light waves mightn't be brother and sister, but they're definitely first (or maybe second) cousins.
    Thats actually true...

Even what we call light is tainted, as we all know there is far more to the spectrum than what we can see. So its safe to say that what we perceive as light and sound is flawed because of our evolutionary development. For example I'm sure Bats have a very different opinion...

You should point this out to your doctor the next time you go and get an XRay :D

The 10 Metre Band does not produce X-Rays and is not recorded on film. Photons are not produced at that frequency so it's not light.

The 10 Metre Band does not produce X-Rays and is not recorded on film. Photons are not produced at that frequency so it's not light.

I think you will find, my unlearned friend, that radio waves certainly ARE made up of photons, albeit very low energy photons. And I suspect you're talking wavelength here, not frequency ...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Who's got the popcorn? And I don't mean to start another 'heated conversation' but should I use low energy photons to cook them - please reply with whether it is Frequency or wavelength that cooks them! :p

I think you will find, my unlearned friend, that radio waves certainly ARE made up of photons, albeit very low energy photons. And I suspect you're talking wavelength here, not frequency ...

Photons are emitted from Infra-red (0.7 - 300 micro meters) to Gamma Rays (<10 pico meters).

The OP is talking of imaging in the 10 Meter Band.

So the lowest frequency for Photon Emission is around 1Thz and the 10 Meter band is about 27 Mhz.

So ... No Photons .... No Light .... Not Photography ... QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Photons are emitted from Infra-red (0.7 - 300 micro meters) to Gamma Rays (<10 pico meters).

The OP is talking of imaging in the 10 Meter Band.

So the lowest frequency for Photon Emission is around 1Thz and the 10 Meter band is about 27 Mhz.

I'm afraid the photon is the basic unit of all electromagnetic radiation, all EMR can be considered to consist of photons.

Also, you're assuming a certain wavelength of EMR always corresponds to a certain frequency, which it doesn't.

And remind me what digital photography is again?

Sure light is used at the point of capture, but the rest is more science than painting.

The average digital camera is a mini-micro computer. It changes tone, contrast, makes color adjustments and it sharpens. Even most DSLR users use a post processing package like Photoshop. HDR anyone?

The days of "painting with light" ended when the average Joe was given the ability to clone out entire sections of an image...

• Advertisement
Advertisement