Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iarnrod Eireann is to permit cycles on all commuter trains including the Dart.

• 01-04-2010 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Iarnrod Eireann has decided to permit cycles on commuter trains in a move that has been welcomed by the Green Party.

Restrictions apply to off peak services only and bicycles must be secured in specially adapted racks in certain cars.

bicycle-on-train.jpg

More: Irish Times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Restrictions apply to off peak services only and bicycles must be secured in specially adapted racks in certain cars.
    Presumably you mean the restrictions apply to peak-time services? Surely there would be less need to have restrictions at off-peak.
    It's good to see the Green's participation in Government finally achieving something that should really have been done years ago.

P.S. Good one :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Old news.

http://cuffestreet.blogspot.com/
    There's been a good take up of the Cycle to Work scheme by Irish Rail employees. 230 applications have been made from the 4,500 staff who work for Irish Rail. That's a 5% take-up rate, which is pretty impressive, given that so many of their staff live a short walk from rail stations. I went on to discuss the bikes on trains issue. I've been in endless correspondence with the company on this one. With the elimination of "guard's vans" it's been difficult in recent years to get your bike onto trains. Mr. Fearn says however that all inter-city trains are once again taking bikes. There's space for three on three carriage sets, and six on six-car trains. I raised the cost of travelling with a bike which can be as much as €8 on a single journey. Mr. Fearn pointed out that the three bike places involved the elimination of four seats, and that the spaces have to pay for themselves. One bit of good news is that from June it will be possible to pre-book space for bikes on the Irish Rail web-site, which is welcome news. Hopefully the website will provide better information on this topic, and API so that people can build better timetable or realtime info apps as @Ciaran_Lee suggested to me on Twitte . I still believe more needs to be done for cyclists. In Holland, 40% of train journeys involve a cycle to or from the station. A simple improvement would be to provide better cycle parking at stations. There are improvements underway at Connolly, but almost all other stations could benefit from improved cycle parking. Cllr. Mark Deary asked me to mention the need for secure bike-parking at Dundalk Station, and Mr. Fearn said he would investigate this. The Government's Smarter Travel document recommends that bikes should be taken off-peak on suburban rail, and Mr. Fearn said he will introduce a pilot scheme on the Maynooth and Drogheda services shortly. I urged him to implement this recommendation on the DART as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Victor wrote: »

It's news to me...

Morgan wrote: »
    It's news to me...
    It hasn't been introduced yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I saw this.

My heart skipped a beat.

Then I clicked the link.

My heart, she is sad now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Gah! Bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Any news on when this might be implemented? Town is outside my range right now, but it'd be great to be able to use the bike in the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Look at the date of the original post ... hate to be the one to break it :(

The suggestion was for this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

oh right very confused altogether, thought this was an april fools joke

• Advertisement

The original post probably was, but ciaran cuffs blog seems to support the idea.

BTW OP, April fools fail. Next time you make something up, make sure its not true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Victor wrote: »
    The suggestion was for this summer.

Any source for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The original post probably was, but ciaran cuffs blog seems to support the idea.

BTW OP, April fools fail. Next time you make something up, make sure its not true...

It's not true.

Where's the link to the mention in Ciaran Cuffe's blog?

It's not true.

Where's the link to the mention in Ciaran Cuffe's blog?

Its mentioned twice above:
    http://cuffestreet.blogspot.com/

and block quoted here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65193804&postcount=3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Read that, so it's still not true, just a pilot scheme. Thanks for that.

Advertisement