Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square foot garden

Options
  • 01-04-2010 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

I have wanted to grow vegetables for a few years but do not have a garden. So this year i decided to do it at my parents house, since they have plenty of space.
    I built the beds in two days. The first day i built the box and varnished it. The second day i stapled weed blocker on the bottom and filled it with soil.
    The soil is a mixture of compost, peat moss and vermiculite in equal parts. This mix is suggested by Mel Bartholomew, the creator of the square foot style of gardening. The vermiculite was difficult to get and expensive. Lots of garden centres had it in 10 litre bags for 8 euro a pop, which was way too expensive as i needed 300 litres. Eventually i found 100 litre bags for 25 euro in the johnstown garden centre. National Agrochemical Distributors also have it but have none in stock(nad.ie)
    Btw the coarse vermiculite is the stuff you really need but i could only get medium type. The fine vermiculite is definitely no good.

I did not varnish the inside because the varnish could seep into the soil and contaminate the plants.
    p1030837.jpg

Mypex(Weed blocker) stops weeds from growing up from the ground into the bed and stealing space and nutrients.
    p1030839i.jpg

Irish weather, Got to love it. At one point the sun was so hot i had to take my jumper off, but at other times during the day it rained, snowed and pelted hailstones.
    p1030845d.jpg

I put screws at one foot intervals. That way i can tie string across to divide the bed into one foot squares.
    p1030855d.jpg

p1030858l.jpg

The Compost provides the nutrients and the vermiculite helps with water retention. The peat moss also helps with water retention whilst keeping the soil mix light and airy.
    p1030864i.jpg

The almost finished product. I just need to get more compost.
    p1030867.jpg

I went a little mad when buying the seeds but i can always use them next year. I ordered them from seedaholic.com. Its a good website and the company is based in county Mayo.
    p1030873p.jpg

Thanks for tuning in. I will hopefully be back in a few weeks with a few pictures of beautiful sprouting veg.

JP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

Incredible work, the raised beds look really brilliant. Will these be placed on a hard surface like a patio area? If so, the base is a good idea to prevent any seepage. However it would work without the weed blocker if located in the garden itself, (encourage worms into the growing space).

Looking forward to seeing more images!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Well done Bicky.

I'm just starting into Square Foot Gardening myself. I also built one raised bed in my tunnel with Mels Mix, but got the Course Vermiculite in a Hardware store at €15 /100l. (They have it for insulating around chimney Liners)

I've also made up 5 raised beds (3.6m x 1.2m) from recycled plastic boarding. Needed way to much fill for these to use Mels Mix, so bought premixed Vegetable soil, 45% Topsoil, 45% Manure/compost and 10% sand. Will be interested to see if Mels Mix performs as well as it is supposed to.

I lined the bottom of the beds in Cardboard to suppress the weeds until they die, and to allow worms to mix the soil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was curious about the method of blocking weeds - would you not think that the benefit of blocking any weeds which could make it through to the surface is less than the benefit of the crops you do grow being able to root more deeply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

i was curious about the method of blocking weeds - would you not think that the benefit of blocking any weeds which could make it through to the surface is less than the benefit of the crops you do grow being able to root more deeply?

Well in the soil I have, the crops won't want to root into the soil below the raised beds it is so bad :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

raised beds look great, be very interested to see how it progresses for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Thanks for the kind words. I will keep the thread updated with info and pictures.
    Will these be placed on a hard surface like a patio area?
    Looking forward to seeing more images!
    They are staying where they are in the last picture. I don't know for sure but i guess they would not drain properly if placed on a concrete surface?
    Qwerty? wrote: »
    Well done Bicky.
    I'm just starting into Square Foot Gardening myself. I also built one raised bed in my tunnel with Mels Mix, but got the Course Vermiculite in a Hardware store at €15 /100l. (They have it for insulating around chimney Liners)
    If i had only known about i could get coarse vermiculite i would definitely have gone for it. Anyone reading this now will know. Maybe you could post up where you sourced it.
    Good luck with your beds and keep us updated on the progress. Maybe some pictures?
    I am certainly no expert(in fact the complete opposite) but the creator of this method suggests a depth of just 6 inches would be enough. Apparently root crops will just grow vertically once they hit the bottom. Ending up with L shaped veg. :)I went for 9 inches anyway to be safe.

I planted a number of seeds about two weeks ago.
    Most of the seeds have broken through at this stage. These are the radishes, turnips and lettuce. On the other side of the bed are leaks, onions and three types of carrot.
    p1030974u.th.jpg

This bed includes lettuce, spring onion and cauliflower which my mother purchased from a local garden centre.
    p1030984e.th.jpg

I had this sheet of glass in the shed and it is perfect to heat the soil and protect the seedlings from the elements.
    p1030973v.th.jpg

Inside a conservatory i have a few seed trays with cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts and garlic among others. In the large pot are three sweetcorn seedlings. They are coming along nicely, and I really hope they work out. In the three large black pots are two tomato plants and a cucumber.
    p1030994c.th.jpg

My mother bought bags of multi-purpose compost from homebase. I would not recommend it because it contains a lot of solids, and it is clearly of a lower quality to the shamrock compost. I will post again in a fortnight. Hopefully I will have lots more growth by then.

It has been a month since i put up pictures and things are coming along nicely.

Little courgette.
    p1030999444.jpg

Lettuce, sping onion, dill, oregano, cabbage and strawberries.
    p10400034444.jpg

Carrots, beetroot, turnip, radishes, French beans all from seed so a long way to go yet.
    p10400044444.jpg

This is the old veg garden. It has loads of chives, rhubarb and onions.

p10400094444.jpg

These are tomato plants. I do not think they look great. Could be the pot is not big enough or i am not feeding them right.
    p10309984444.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

It's an old thread but just wondering how all the attempts at square foot gardening turned out?

Advertisement