Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scared for my Dog

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 akitaluvr

I hope it will be alright but the thing is I just dont know what is happening and im scared to even bring the dog outside for fear it being hurt or seized. The dog that was hurt was limp and had to be carried to the car and brought to a vet/pet hospital i was told by gardai and they say the warden would make the decision on what to do but i have got no info since the day so im hoping the dog isnt dead. the gardai told me they would not fine me as it was an accident the dog was out so can the warden still fine or seize my dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

akitaluvr wrote: »
    no the dog was on a retractable leed but was barking at mine, thats all i know after that i can only vouch for my dogs behaviour on past events when he has never attacked another dog.
    Do you think it would be ok for me to ring round local vets and ask about the dog, just to see how he/she is?

Try ringing the ppl directly, be nice & enquire about the dog, if you get no where and they are aggressive, politely end the conversation, then try ringing the vets if that will put your mind at ease.

I'll be honest its a dog attacking a dog, as others have said its not attacking a person. So I dont think anything will happen, it should make a difference that your dogs are normally under control and this was a pure once off. The only way I could see the dog being PTS is if they were on rampage attacking everything constantly and not under control.

I would show warden that you have made efforts to make amends and also are muzzling your dogs to show you take the matter seriously, I would fight it all the way however.

Dont let others watch the dogs unless they can do the job, I have a small collie & he isnt aggressive but I wouldnt let him out without being on a lead even when he is being taken to the car from the front door he is on a lead, it for his protection as well as other dogs, as lets face it dogs especially males like to fight & protect their territory.

Keep calling the warden till you get an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

I hope it will be alright but the thing is I just dont know what is happening and im scared to even bring the dog outside for fear it being hurt or seized.
    they cant seize himwhile you are out walking , take your dogs out but make sure you are obeying the restricted breeds law

the gardai told me they would not fine me as it was an accident the dog was out so can the warden still fine or seize my dog?
    yes he can but it is unlikly

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

the gardai told me they would not fine me as it was an accident the dog was out so can the warden still fine or seize my dog?
    Was the warden in attendance, or do you know if the Garda contacted the warden?

A complaint would need to have been made to the warden for any action to be taken. Unfortunately the Garda saying he won't fine you doesn't mean that the warden won't fine you, as the warden has that power.

Don't be afraid to take your dogs out, they're not going to be taken from you on the side of the road.As said above, just ensure that you have them leashed and muzzled at all times in public, even if you're only walking 5 feet from your front door to your car.

The last thing you need is the warden to arrive down for a friendly chat and your dogs are out in public with no muzzles.

If someone does stop you on the side of the road and attempt to take your dogs off you, tell that person to contact the Gardai and to meet you at your house. Never surrender your animals to anyone without a Garda in attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

for piece of mind why dont you ring the warden and say your sisters dog was attacked, what will happen if she reports it?

Or ring and say your doing a school project / helping your niece with a project, could they answer a few questions, then have one of the questions "what would happen if an unleashed dog on the restricted breed list had a fight with another dog, but the dog had no previous history of aggression" or something along those lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 akitaluvr

seamus wrote: »
    Was the warden in attendance, or do you know if the Garda contacted the warden?

No the warden was not in attendance but the gardai told me that it will be up to him if my dog will be pts. Ive tried contacting him all week and have heard nothing back, also i cant contact the gardai til Mon and dont have the other dog owners details to contact them directly. This is why i am so worried as I dont know what is going on or even if the other dog is ok cos it looked pretty limp after it happened but it could just of been sore and shocked.

I contacted the Ispca and they said I should move the dog into a friends and get everything ready to re-home him just in case, so that is what im going to do. I guess ill just have to wait then to see if I can keep him, thaks to you all for your advice, I pray you are right and that all it will be is a fine and a vet bill and mayb a present for their dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

i really dont see how they can have your dog put down for a dog on dog fight, sure dogs fight all the time!

You could always have a friend mind the dog for a month, and then when everything calms down take the dog back and say its a new dog.

Or if your two dogs are identical, if the guard or the witnesses cant identify which dog was the dog involved then they cant put down an innocent dog!

Try to not worry (impossible, but worrying wont help).

Maybe go to the area where the fight happened (without your dogs) and keep an eye out for the dog and dog owners involved in the fight. Stop them and apologise and see if theres anything that you can do to have them retract their complaint.

Chances are they were fuming when a loose dog attacked their dog. If you explain that the dog got loose, and say he's normally muzzled and on a leash but he escaped by accident, they may let it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

As someone who's dog was on the receiving end of an attack recently I can tell you for sure that your dog won't be put down but you can expect a visit from the warden who will probably advise you to muzzle your dog or face further sanction. You say the other dog was on a retractable lead then that is deemed to be under control. The very least you can do is pay the vet's bill, which the warden may get directly from the other owners to produce to you. You also have to bear in mind that watching your dog being attacked is very frightening and while some have said dogs fight that these things just happen, when you see your dog in the jaws of a bigger dog it's very traumatic for both owner and animal. I've had to start re-training my dog again to walk on lead and not be dog aggressive himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

As someone who's dog was on the receiving end of an attack recently I can tell you for sure that your dog won't be put down but you can expect a visit from the warden who will probably advise you to muzzle your dog or face further sanction. You say the other dog was on a retractable lead then that is deemed to be under control. The very least you can do is pay the vet's bill, which the warden may get directly from the other owners to produce to you. You also have to bear in mind that watching your dog being attacked is very frightening and while some have said dogs fight that these things just happen, when you see your dog in the jaws of a bigger dog it's very traumatic for both owner and animal. I've had to start re-training my dog again to walk on lead and not be dog aggressive himself.

I have to say I agree with this. In all fairness if I was out with my little dog on a lead, and a big akita came out of nowhere and attacked my dog who was under control, I would be furious even more so when its a restricted breed. No amount of telling me that he never done it before or its a once off would make me feel any better especially if my little kids were around to witness it. You really cant blame the people for being upset and angry for something that was your fault.

The very least you should be doing is paying the vets bills.

Advertisement