Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring Licenses

Options
  • 01-04-2010 4:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

I have neither an Irish or Australian drivers license. I do have an Australian Learners (which i must hold for one year before i can apply for a provisional)

I have heard of Irish provisionals being transferred here and visa-versa. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about Learners licenses. I may be heading home sooner than expected and will have held my learners for just under one year. If i go home without an Australian provisional and apply for a license at home will they take into account my 10 - 11 months of australian learners license or will i be put back to the start. What is the system like at home now?
    I'm 25 btw.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Hello there. I'm planning on going to Aus, and so have learned a lot about the licensing laws. If you come back, however, you'll be starting off at base one, that's doing the Theory test, attaining your Learner Permit, waiting 6 months before taking the Driving Test and then getting your Full License!

I've also learned that if I go to Aus, I'll be exempt from all probationary laws, even though I'll only be 19! If you get your full Aus license, I'm nearly 100% sure you can just change it out for an Irish one :)

Hope it helped even in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I've also learned that if I go to Aus, I'll be exempt from all probationary laws, even though I'll only be 19! If you get your full Aus license, I'm nearly 100% sure you can just change it out for an Irish one :)
    How'd you work that one out? Which state?

I'm 26 and am only just eligible for opens in NSW.

ballooba wrote: »
    How'd you work that one out? Which state?

I'm 26 and am only just eligible for opens in NSW.

Victoria, VicRoads told me so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Sh!t.... so its 6 months now? That's not as bad i guess..

In queensland being over 25 means you skip your P1 and go straight to P2. You also don't have to complete the 100 hours log book while on your Learners or display P plates.. but you must still hold Learners for one year before taking your test.

didn't wanna have to start from scratch.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Victoria, VicRoads told me so :D

Midnight are you not going to Perth?

• Advertisement

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Midnight are you not going to Perth?

Nope, I have the option of my apartment in Perth should I need it, but I wanna get to Melbourne first of all. I didn't enjoy Perth as much when I was over :/

AAAhhhh I see.

So what Irish licence do you hold now?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    AAAhhhh I see.

So what Irish licence do you hold now?

Full :]

Do not change your licence to a vicroads one.

Aussie licences are liable to pionts. Victoria is like the home of piont infractions.

You can drive on an irish one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anything other than a full license is not transferable, or usable, in another country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement