Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopefully Moving Soon!

Options
  • 01-04-2010 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm planning on moving to Australia for at least 3 months at the end of the year. I've been before and I'm set on doing it. So far I know about licensing issues regarding cars and that I'll be exempt from all probationary laws imposed on Learners and P's, even though I'll be 19. I've read a little bit about the cost of living, and have factored in the fact I can stay in my own apartment in Perth, or hopefully stay with family in Melbourne and pay a reasonable rent, which I'm basing on the assumption I can get a job.

I had originally planned on going to college there, but I've come to the conclusion that I want to get out and make a living first, then enter college as a mature student and be able to fund myself, rather than being a shy 19 year old with little money and no sense. Seeing as a mature student is generally around the age of 23, I'd like to be working up until then, with odd trips back to Ireland to see the most important of people, the family. In essence I'd be wanting to make a nice sum that I can always hold onto and dip into if needs be for some personal enjoyment. I'd be mainly saving and most definitely be handling it well!

I'm currently 18, about to sit the leaving cert and have the world at my feet. I've seemingly got my life planned out, but I need some information from the experienced to let me see the potential, so, can anyone advise?

Appreciate absolutely anything that can be said, no matter how much or how little.

Mods move if appropriate :]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ok first up to see where you are ?

Nobody comes here to work for three months. Is this a WHV you intend to take out or do you have work rights here. plus your own apartment in perth, I do not envisage a 18 year old with no qualifications affording their own place in any Australian city...

In my opinion you are too young to do oz you would be wasting a WHV coming all this way to work in a mackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Ok first up to see where you are ?
    Well currently I'm studying to take my final exams, the Leaving Certificate. I've been told by a friend that I may be able to get a job working in a garage for the Summer, so I can provide some savings towards the 'holiday', I have money otherwise in a 'college fund'. Adding onto that, I've already got two working references, with hopefully another coming after the Summer ends.
    Nobody comes here to work for three months. Is this a WHV you intend to take out or do you have work rights here.
    It'll be a WHV initially, and then if those three months can prove to me that I can come back after Christmas and continue working and making money, well then I'll apply for a Working Visa and then see how it goes. Worst comes to worst I'll come home and attempt it again
    plus your own apartment in perth, I do not envisage a 18 year old with no qualifications affording their own place in any Australian city...
    It's a family apartment that's rented out on our behalf. I could easily assume the apartment, although I'd rather not as it could also become a source of income for me.
    In my opinion you are too young to do oz you would be wasting a WHV coming all this way to work in a mackers.
    I've asked a cousin of mine's Father to look into getting me a job in a garage of his, one that incorporates the maintenance and running of Taxi's, so hopefully something for me. If that doesnt work out, well then I've had a nice three month holiday, I'll come home and start again.

Appreciate your thoughts.

It'll be a WHV initially, and then if those three months can prove to me that I can come back after Christmas and continue working and making money, well then I'll apply for a Working Visa and then see how it goes. Worst comes to worst I'll come home and attempt it again
    It's a family apartment that's rented out on our behalf. I could easily assume the apartment, although I'd rather not as it could also become a source of income for me.
    Ok in reality I cant see you getting a long term working visa on what you have stated here. Putting it simply you do not have the skills to apply. Nobody could sponsor you for the same reason.

In regards the flat being a source of income. Yes it could well be however that's between you and the owner.
    I've asked a cousin of mine's Father to look into getting me a job in a garage of his, one that incorporates the maintenance and running of Taxi's, so hopefully something for me. If that doesnt work out, well then I've had a nice three month holiday, I'll come home and start again.

Appreciate your thoughts.

My thought is you are taking a years holiday in Australia and quite frankly pissing it up a tree. You will regret cashing this in too early and for too little.

If you can afford to come to Australia for a 3 month holiday and not work do that use the contacts you have sleep on couchs etc. In every way I see it you will be coming home. Wait till you are in a position to commit to a year here.

Use that college fund for college. being a mature student not that great been there done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Not that easy mate it’s very hard to get a working visa for Australia particularly as you will be trying to get one without qualifications not to mention that its very expensive even if you do qualify for one. You can only apply for one working holiday visa unless during your time in Australia on your first working holiday visa you spend a minimum of 3 months working in regional Australia in which case you can apply for a second.

I myself have 2 degrees but still may not qualify for a skilled migrant visa for Australia as my particular job might not be on the list of positions wanted by the Australian government.

My advise to you if you really wish to make the trip over here is to get a WHV and make sure that you do the 3 months regional work (Most people do this by working on farms). Coming home at any point during the one year that you get on this visa in my opinion would be waste unless you don’t like it here.

Once the year is over go home and study. Studying here is very expensive for non residence just like it is for non EU people to study in Europe (I looked into the possibility of doing a teaching degree here). When you have finished your studies you can come over again on your second WHV having already done the regional work on your first. You can then look for a better job with the possibility of the company that hires you sponsoring you on a Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) Visa. That would let you stay another 3-4 years.

I honestly think for someone your age who wants to come and work here this is the best plan.

I've family in Aus, accommodation should be alright.

The apartment is owned by me and my family.

I don't think you read either of my posts right :/

• Advertisement

Doc wrote: »
    Not that easy mate it’s very hard to get a working visa for Australia particularly as you will be trying to get one without qualifications not to mention that its very expensive even if you do qualify for one. You can only apply for one working holiday visa unless during your time in Australia on your first working holiday visa you spend a minimum of 3 months working in regional Australia in which case you can apply for a second.
    Ok, so I'd basically have to be sure I have a job for three months on the dot to be able to be granted a second Visa?
    I myself have 2 degrees but still may not qualify for a skilled migrant visa for Australia as my particular job might not be on the list of positions wanted by the Australian government.
    I'm hoping to be a mechanic, and I see Aus as a better place for me to do this.
    My advise to you if you really wish to make the trip over here is to get a WHV and make sure that you do the 3 months regional work (Most people do this by working on farms). Coming home at any point during the one year that you get on this visa in my opinion would be waste unless you don’t like it here.
    Regional meaning working within the state or.....?
    Once the year is over go home and study. Studying here is very expensive for non residence just like it is for non EU people to study in Europe (I looked into the possibility of doing a teaching degree here). When you have finished your studies you can come over again on your second WHV having already done the regional work on your first. You can then look for a better job with the possibility of the company that hires you sponsoring you on a Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457) Visa. That would let you stay another 3-4 years.
    I have absolutely no want to study in Ireland, I'm basically looking to start life over, starting in Aus. The only ties I'll be keeping are family tbh.
    I honestly think for someone your age who wants to come and work here this is the best plan.

Appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Mate no offence but you have not thought this through or researched it enough IMO

You only get once chance to use a Working Holiday Visa, you can't 'pause' it or anything, so if you only come over for 3 months then you're wasting it. Will you be able to afford to fly over and back to Australia, twice? If you want the second WHV, then you have to do 3 months' work in a regional area (the middle of nowhere basically), and if I'm not mistaken you have to use it sequentially straight after your first visa. Have you got a job lined up? If not then you'll also have to factor that time in, so there's no way you'd be able to get a second WHV.

Why are you set on Australia for the summer? IMO you should go somewhere else, then after the Leaving Cert at the very least, come to Oz and use your WHV.

Have you been Interrailling around Europe before? I'd definitely recommend that, it's brilliant. Do that this summer and Oz in the future.

/my 2c

Noo, I'm doing the leaving in 2 months, then from October to December/January I hope to go to Aus and work. I'm in the process of trying to get a job through family, which hopefully will come through.

Ok, so I'd basically have to be sure I have a job for three months on the dot to be able to be granted a second Visa?

Yes but a job outside of the large citys.

I'm hoping to be a mechanic, and I see Aus as a better place for me to do this.

That’s fine but if you have no qualifications and enough work experience saying you are a mechanic or if mechanics aren’t on the list of skills shortages in Australia then they wont give you a visa.
    Regional meaning working within the state or.....?

Specified work must actually be done within an eligible regional Australia postcode area. Work that is completed in a non-eligible area for a business, whose office or post office box is in a regional Australia postcode area, does not meet the requirement. It is basically in rural areas.
    I have absolutely no want to study in Ireland, I'm basically looking to start life over, starting in Aus. The only ties I'll be keeping are family tbh.

You may not want to study in Ireland and if you can afford to pay the really high fees that you would be required to study in Australia then go for it. (you can get a visa for studying here too). All I’m saying is that you will have to pay through the nose to study here. By the way studying in Ireland is not the only option there is also the entire EU to consider...

Appreciate it.

You’re welcome.

Yes but a job outside of the large citys.

So.... would a retail job fit that? I'm really confused as to this? My ultimate goal would be working in a garage, if there's a garage not within the city and I happen to get a job there, does this qualify? What about if it's a retail store such as the equivalent of Tesco or Dunnes?
    That’s fine but if you have no qualifications and enough work experience saying you are a mechanic or if mechanics aren’t on the list of skills shortages in Australia then they wont give you a visa.
    Well a Summers working in a Ford main dealer, and hopefully another Summer this year in an independent garage might suffice I hope.
    Specified work must actually be done within an eligible regional Australia postcode area. Work that is completed in a non-eligible area for a business, whose office or post office box is in a regional Australia postcode area, does not meet the requirement. It is basically in rural areas.
    Same as first^

You may not want to study in Ireland and if you can afford to pay the really high fees that you would be required to study in Australia then go for it. (you can get a visa for studying here too). All I’m saying is that you will have to pay through the nose to study here. By the way studying in Ireland is not the only option there is also the entire EU to consider...
    Australia is the one place I want to be, nowhere else :o Excuse my naivety.

You’re welcome.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Mate your 18 you would be a freak if you were not. You have been here before ?

Mate your 18 you would be a freak if you were not. You have been here before ?

Yeah, been once before, and I can say with hand on heart it attracted me so much. Hence me wanting to make a living over there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

So.... would a retail job fit that? I'm really confused as to this? My ultimate goal would be working in a garage, if there's a garage not within the city and I happen to get a job there, does this qualify? What about if it's a retail store such as the equivalent of Tesco or Dunnes?

Your best bet for figuring all of this out would be to have a read of this
    Well a Summers working in a Ford main dealer, and hopefully another Summer this year in an independent garage might suffice I hope.

Their requirements for a skilled migrant visa are a lot more stringent than this. You'll need a few years experience coupled with relevant qualifications.

As long as it is based in a rural area it should be fine.

Sorry mate but it wont be without qualifications.

Australia is a great place but if you really want to be here you need to think about how you can go about doing it practically. The Australian government does not want to allow everyone in. They only want people who can do jobs that can not be done by Australians. Getting permission to stay here is difficult. This is one of the reasons why people are telling you not to waste a WHV on only coming here for 3 months. It often takes people a month or more to even find work here. I know you are looking to have something set up before you come but still it is the one easy visa to get to live and work here so only using it for 3 months is such a waste.

The route a lot of people take to move here permanently is this:

Get a WHV

Travel around the country seeing as much as you can.

Work for 6 months (This is the limit you can work for 1 company on this visa)

At this point the company you have worked for may wish to sonser you to stay working for them.

If this happens you get a 457 visa and stay for another 3-4 years (cant rember if its 3 or 4) but most stay working for the company or go home.

If it doesn’t happen you go do your 3 months regional work and get a 2nd WHV and find another job and try for sponsorship again.

If you get it good if not try another company for the next 6 months and try again.

If all this fails in that time you may meet a lovely Australian move in with them and get a defacto visa, or meet a lovely non Australian and move in with them who subsequently gets sponsored or residency and you become their defacto partner and get to stay on their visa.

All in all mate I really hope you don’t waste your visa on 3 months and can’t come back. You need to think long term if you really want to live here.

Ok, so let me get this right first time.

I can get the 3 months working Visa, which enables me to get a years one, which then enables me for the next one that last 3-4 years?

Or else my cousin becomes my wife and I become illegal? :cool:

I can get the 3 months working Visa, which enables me to get a years one, which then enables me for the next one that last 3-4 years?

No

Not quite! The 3 month visa you get would be the one year visa, so effectively you'd be letting the remaining nine months of that visa lapse if you only came out here for three months.

The 457 visa is unrelated to this visa, and you can't just hop from one to the other. You need an employer to agree to sponsor you on a 457 visa and even then your job has to be on a recognised list approved by the Australian government.
    It just so happens that people on the one year visa get jobs that will sponsor them for the 457 visa and this is a temporary visa valid for four years.

No

Ohh, I think I have it now. Going by the site you linked, I have to have 3 months work experience over here. I can easily get that during the summer up until October. So that should be fine. With that achieved I can then apply for the working Visa, yeah?

Ohh, I think I have it now. Going by the site you linked, I have to have 3 months work experience over here. I can easily get that during the summer up until October. So that should be fine. With that achieved I can then apply for the working Visa, yeah?

Again not quite. It depends on what you mean by a working visa. If you mean a working holiday visa, then if you do three months regional work over here (Australia) on your first working holiday visa, as per the link earlier, then that entitles you to apply for a second working holiday visa in the future. This second working holiday visa does not have to be used immediately after your first one expired so if you were entitled to it you could go home and then use this second working holiday visa at a later date.

If by working visa you mean a skilled migrant visa - allowing you to live and work in Australia full time - then nope, the three months work has absolutely no bearing on this.

Can't really be a whole lot clearer!

Look man if you want links to things then try googel you asked for advice and I gave it if you are going to be sarcastic and not actually read what I spent time posting for you then I'm not going to bother anymore. Waste you visa if you want. I’ve given you what I consider good advice take it or leave it.

• Advertisement

Wowwww I'm confused :P

Let me outline my intentions:
    October-December; A break/holiday in which I'd check out if it's possible for me to work and/or study.
    January onwards; work work work in Australia.

I'm really confused as to the 3 months working, no matter how many sites I read I cant get my head around it >.<

Look man if you want links to things then try googel you asked for advice and I gave it if you are going to be sarcastic and not actually read what I spent time posting for you then I'm not going to bother anymore. Waste you visa if you want. I’ve given you what I consider good advice take it or leave it.

I've considered everything you've told me as great advice, I really cannot see how you're thinking I'm being sarcastic in my replies?

I'm really confused as to the 3 months working, no matter how many sites I read I cant get my head around it >.<

Ok, as clear as I can make it...

When you come out here for your three months work this summer, you'll be arriving here on a working holiday visa, which is active from the minute you arrive in Oz and can't be paused, so if you go back to Ireland after the summer, your visa will continue to run and will expire a year after you arrived here, whether or not you are in the country at that time.
    However, if, while you are here on that working holiday visa, you undertake certain specified work in certain locations for a period of three months, this entitles you to a second working holiday visa. This second working holiday visa does not have to be taken straight after the first visa, and will be valid up until you turn 30.

This is really what you need to take in. Doc is annoyed because you sort of did not. it takes a bit of time to formulate this properly one day we will graph it for a sticky.
    The route a lot of people take to move here permanently is this:

Get a WHV

Travel around the country seeing as much as you can.

Work for 6 months (This is the limit you can work for 1 company on this visa)

At this point the company you have worked for may wish to sonser you to stay working for them.

If this happens you get a 457 visa and stay for another 3-4 years (cant rember if its 3 or 4) but most stay working for the company or go home.

If it doesn’t happen you go do your 3 months regional work and get a 2nd WHV and find another job and try for sponsorship again.

If you get it good if not try another company for the next 6 months and try again.

If all this fails in that time you may meet a lovely Australian move in with them and get a defacto visa, or meet a lovely non Australian and move in with them who subsequently gets sponsored or residency and you become their defacto partner and get to stay on their visa.

All in all mate I really hope you don’t waste your visa on 3 months and can’t come back. You need to think long term if you really want to live here.

whereas the route you are planning is

Get a WHV

Work for three months in Perth

Leave Australia , waste your first WHV , remove your chance for a 2nd WHV

Have got no further to living in Australia.

Return to Ireland at square one.

Traq wrote: »
    Ok, as clear as I can make it...

When you come out here for your three months work this summer, you'll be arriving here on a working holiday visa, which is active from the minute you arrive in Oz and can't be paused, so if you go back to Ireland after the summer, your visa will continue to run and will expire a year after you arrived here, whether or not you are in the country at that time.
    However, if, while you are here on that working holiday visa, you undertake certain specified work in certain locations for a period of three months, this entitles you to a second working holiday visa. This second working holiday visa does not have to be taken straight after the first visa, and will be valid up until you turn 30.
    Now I have it!

So I can start it in October (Assuming you meant Summer as in your Summer, not mine), work for , lets say, a month and then come home for a few weeks, and then go back over and finish out the year while getting the required 3 months. Yes Yes Yes I have it :D

I hope :D

Much appreciated, the three of you :D

And sorry Doc :o

It's 7am, I'm tired and nervous and everything else, I appreciate every little bit of effort you put in and I seriously didn't mean to come across as sarcastic.

I really think I have it now, assuming I've read it correctly this time :o

If you wornt being sarcastic then what was this
    Going by the site you linked,

You replied to me with this when I replied to you with a one word answer "No" and I have not posted any links so I assumed sarcasm.

You genuinely seem not to been reading what I posted about the visas but I suppose you could simply not have understood.

A working holiday visa authorizes you to one year working in Australia.

In this year although you can work for the full year you can only work for one company for a maximum of 6 months.

You may apply for a second working holiday visa witch authorizes you to a second year in Australia but in order to do this you must meet some requirements one of which is that during your first working holiday visa you completed at least 3 months of work in a recognized regional area (rural area).

An employer you work for may wish to sponsor you to stay in the country (a 457 visa) but has to prove that no Australians are available to do your job.

If you only use your WHV for 3 months to check out Australia you will have wasted it as you can get a 3 month holiday visa that doesn’t entitle you to work to do that.

So I can start it in October (Assuming you meant Summer as in your Summer, not mine), work for , lets say, a month and then come home for a few weeks, and then go back over and finish out the year while getting the required 3 months. Yes Yes Yes I have it

Yep, that's pretty much it. If you come out here in Spring or Summer - Oz not Ireland - then your visa will be activated from, say November '10. You will then have until November '11 to do the three months specified work in the regional locations, which will get you a second WHV whenever you want to use it, up until you're 30 of course!

Glad I could help to clear things up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Christ even I know what to do now and I was only reading the thread to see how long it would take you to realise what the lads are saying lol.
    If you want to live there and make a living, why are you already planning on coming home, even before you get there?

• Advertisement

Traq wrote: »
    Yep, that's pretty much it. If you come out here in Spring or Summer - Oz not Ireland - then your visa will be activated from, say November '10. You will then have until November '11 to do the three months specified work in the regional locations, which will get you a second WHV whenever you want to use it, up until you're 30 of course!
    Glad I could help to clear things up!
    Yes, I have it now, very much appreciated.
    If you wornt being sarcastic then what was this

I tried to put a little bit of humour in, I'm sorry.
    You replied to me with this when I replied to you with a one word answer "No" and I have not posted any links so I assumed sarcasm.
    I mixed up who gave me links, again, I'm sorry.
    You genuinely seem not to been reading what I posted about the visas but I suppose you could simply not have understood.
    I did read, and truth be told I couldn't wrap my head around it all, but now I fully understand and I can't be more appreciative.
    A working holiday visa authorizes you to one year working in Australia.

In this year although you can work for the full year you can only work for one company for a maximum of 6 months.

You may apply for a second working holiday visa witch authorizes you to a second year in Australia but in order to do this you must meet some requirements one of which is that during your first working holiday visa you completed at least 3 months of work in a recognized regional area (rural area).

An employer you work for may wish to sponsor you to stay in the country (a 457 visa) but has to prove that no Australians are available to do your job.

If you only use your WHV for 3 months to check out Australia you will have wasted it as you can get a 3 month holiday visa that doesn’t entitle you to work to do that.
    Just outlines it one more time for me and I'm glad to say I understand it again :D

Very very very muchly appreciated and I can't have begged enough for this, if only I could multi-thank :o

Advertisement