Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job agency in Sydney

Options
  • 01-04-2010 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi folks, just wondering if any of you knew of a decent job agency in Sydney? Looking for any temporary work really, as long as it's not solely commission-based! I vaguely remember someone telling me about an agency that required you to pay $60 or something when registering, but pretty much guaranteed finding you a job. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me though, so if anyone knows the name of that one/ any other good ones, your help would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mismatch wrote: »
    Hi folks, just wondering if any of you knew of a decent job agency in Sydney? Looking for any temporary work really, as long as it's not solely commission-based! I vaguely remember someone telling me about an agency that required you to pay $60 or something when registering, but pretty much guaranteed finding you a job. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me though, so if anyone knows the name of that one/ any other good ones, your help would be appreciated :D

Sounds like a real con,

www.seek.com.au is all you need to find a job. Cant see why you would have to pay someone else to find you a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Sounds like a real con,

www.seek.com.au is all you need to find a job. Cant see why you would have to pay someone else to find you a job.

Agree.

And theres no good job agencies, they are all terrible and place absolutely zero value on your interests as you are one a gzillion WHV's over there sending them 1000's of applications a day.
    Expect to see ads on seek from agencies for jobs that dont exist, dont expect replies when you apply having taken the time to write a cover letter, expect to be brought in to register from time to time again even when there is no actual job there and the job ad was a LIE to allow them to gather CV's to pitch their agency to prospective clients, etc etc.

They're brutal.

For what its worth though in the end I got a job through Hayes in Sydney, Tacticall in Brisbane, and Servicestream in Melbourne. Just keep trying and trying and hacking away on seek.com.au and you'll get lucky eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OP sounds like you're talking about http://www.taw.com.au

Too expensive for me though, f*ck that

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mismatch

Haha, that description of agencies hits all too close to home! Been brought in far too many times to 'register' and promised that tons of jobs are waiting for me only to hear nothing.

cant think why anyone would think that agencies need to make up fake jobs, there are plenty of real jobs cant see how any recruitment company would benefit from making them up. It costs a lot of money to advertise a job cant see how an agency can expect to make money from it unless the job seekers are prepared to pay $60 like OP mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

mandrake04 wrote: »
    cant think why anyone would think that agencies need to make up fake jobs, there are plenty of real jobs cant see how any recruitment company would benefit from making them up. It costs a lot of money to advertise a job cant see how an agency can expect to make money from it unless the job seekers are prepared to pay $60 like OP mentioned.

Agencies get paid by the companys paying the salary, not the people receiving it. Agencies need a product (people) to pitch to their customers (companys/business's that have the actual jobs). That is the business.

Without the product they have absolutely nothing to offer or pitch to potential clients, and the recruitment business is a obviously very competitive market in Australia. With backpackers moving around so much there, a CV base for those types of temp jobs today will be virtually useless in 6 - 8 months time.
    So to continue to keep their business running and to have people there (the recruitment companys product) at the push of a button should a client or potential client request them, they need to have an ever refreshing and replenishing supply of CV's and people all the time, and hence you see the same "jobs" just constantly bumped and relisted by certain agencies over and over and over again, even when that specific job does not actually exist (or if it does exist also that particular agency might not even have the contract for it, they are just collecting CV's to pitch for said contract)

Usually in a registration the agent in fairness will be fairly honest with you about this, but its still annoying in that they are being underhanded in the original ad and wasting a lot of peoples time with cover letters, etc.

FYI an ad on seek once off costs $180 per month, to renew is costs less than that, and in bulk in costs a lot less than that again. Without an ever ready people base at its disposal they have nothing. Not rocket science..

Basically from what you are saying agencies are a complete waste of time, I already knew that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

free spirit is a good one, we hire from them pretty regularly, speaking to the people we've hired through them, they went for an interview with the agency, got sent to interviews straight away and got jobs in 2/3 days

Advertisement