Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bring back the V10's

• 01-04-2010 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I was watching a few clips on YouTube yesterday and it was funny how the V10 engines sounded so much better than the V8 one's of today. I was watching a clip of the Mika Hakkinen in the 2000 McLaren MP4/15 and the engine sounded amazing.

I sometimes wish they'd unfreeze these engine regulations and let them bring back the V10 engines.

Although I suppose you could then say to bring back the V12's... :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I still remember being at Silverstone in 97, it was my first race, and the Merc V10 was amazing. You could tell it apart from the other engines easily. Now in F1 with everyone having the same number of cylinders and as far as I know the same 90 degree angles(remember Renaults 110?) there are no differences between them.

It's all well and good the FIA saying 'things under the bodywork don't really matter to fans etc.' but I'd love to see us with 8,10,12's like we had upto 95. We need variety in all turns of the sport. We can see now that having a single tyre isn't what's best for the sport so why do we effectively have single engines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Sounds like a good idea!! Bring back the v10's - dont rev limit them, reduce downforce by 50% and get softer tyres.
    If Carlsburg did F1..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

frostie500 wrote: »
    I still remember being at Silverstone in 97, it was my first race, and the Merc V10 was amazing. You could tell it apart from the other engines easily. Now in F1 with everyone having the same number of cylinders and as far as I know the same 90 degree angles(remember Renaults 110?) there are no differences between them.

It's all well and good the FIA saying 'things under the bodywork don't really matter to fans etc.' but I'd love to see us with 8,10,12's like we had upto 95. We need variety in all turns of the sport. We can see now that having a single tyre isn't what's best for the sport so why do we effectively have single engines?

That was my first race too and I was blown away by the sound the cars made. Do you remember the strange sucking noise the Prost car made when it changed up through the gears?

There was a 1995 Ferrari with a V12 in Mondello for the BOSS race a good few years back. That was the most amazing sound I've ever heard. I would have loved to have seen a full field of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'd be very surprised if we ever see anything more than a V8 again. The power they're getting out of them is ludicrous as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Arent they pushing for ome sort of V6 hybrid engine for 2013?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The Euroboss series is back this year at Mondello so if you want to see some old school F1 cars come down! That said even in the Formula Libre races there are some cracking old single seaters.

Excellent. Is it on the website yet ? I'm there.

I'd say you will never see V8's again after the next few years. V6 with solar panels !!!

The website has them coming on 2 different weekends. Put both dates into my calendar then went onto the euroboss website. They have it on one weekend on a Sat and Sunday which is correct I'd say. The mondello site has them Sat 11th and Sunday 19th of Sept which in incorrect I assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

v10, bah! bring in v12s ftw :D

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The Euroboss series is back this year at Mondello so if you want to see some old school F1 cars come down! That said even in the Formula Libre races there are some cracking old single seaters.

Nice one.

Any chance Ascari will bring that Ferrari back I wonder. It only made one appearance here as far as I can recall.

Bobby Rahals IndyCar was another highlight the following year (I think)

And some of the Formula Libre cars are lovely machines alright.

The fact that Euroboss is coming back deserves a thread of it's own.

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if we ever see anything more than a V8 again. The power they're getting out of them is ludicrous as it is.

Consider how ludicrous it would be if they weren't rev limited.

It was a big deal a few years ago (2003ish I think) when Montoya's BMW V10 engine revved to 20,000rpm at Monza.

2 years ago they were limiting the V8 engines to 19,000!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

smooch71 wrote: »
    There was a 1995 Ferrari with a V12 in Mondello for the BOSS race a good few years back. That was the most amazing sound I've ever heard. I would have loved to have seen a full field of them.

I remember that, yeah probably the best sound in the world! would love to see them in proper racing action again...

smooch71 wrote: »
    Consider how ludicrous it would be if they weren't rev limited.

It was a big deal a few years ago (2003ish I think) when Montoya's BMW V10 engine revved to 20,000rpm at Monza.

2 years ago they were limiting the V8 engines to 19,000!

Aye, unlimited V8s would be bad enough but I don't even want to think about what unlimited V10s would be like.

If something reminds me of the EuroBOSS a month or so before it's on I'd almost definitely head to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Couple of Turbo V6's and we'd be sorted, like the 1200 horsepower Renaults of the mid 80's!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Unfortunately the next F1 engine will probably be a 1.6 turbo in line 4 or 5 cylinder engine with built in kers. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Most likely run off ketchup or something aswell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have to say I'm a bit frustrated in a way with how strict the regulations seems to be these days. I'd like it if they let the designers more freedom with aero stuff. I admit the cars in 2008 were insane with the amount of aero boards and winglets and everything that they had and they did look a bit cluttered. But I was watching those clips of the McLaren's back around 2000-2005 and they looked so good. They didn't have all these extra boards and flaps and everything and the cars sounded great too.

While there are some beautiful cars on the grid at the moment, the size of the front and rear wings are still pretty woeful and ruin the look of the cars. I'd like the rules changed so the edge of the front wing can't go past the inside of the front tyre.

Have a listen to these:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Unfortunately the next F1 engine will probably be a 1.6 turbo in line 4 or 5 cylinder engine with built in kers. :mad:

Producing 1600+BHP within 3 years of course :D One thing that has to be said about F1 is no matter whats done to slow them down the engineers find a way to get back to even greater Speeds/power outputs within a year or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just checked the Euroboss site. It turns out I will be at Monza that weekend for the Italian Grand Prix so I can't attend.

Just out of curiosity, who drives in the Euroboss series and with which cars? I couldn't find much info about it on the Euroboss website.

Aye, unlimited V8s would be bad enough but I don't even want to think about what unlimited V10s would be like.

If something reminds me of the EuroBOSS a month or so before it's on I'd almost definitely head to it.

No problem. I will remind you. Hold on. I'm not your mother. Put it in your calendar and set a reminder

thegoth wrote: »
    No problem. I will remind you. Hold on. I'm not your mother. Put it in your calendar and set a reminder

I'm not arsed insulting you and getting an infraction, I wasn't asking anyone to remind me, I was just thinking aloud that if it was mentioned on here I'd go, otherwise I'll most likely forget about it. It's not the most important thing in my life at the moment, I won't bore you with the list of things I care about more, but Lindsay Lohan is looking terrible lately, I really hope she starts taking better care of herself. I also fear I may have broken several blades of grass today which will takes hours, no, days to recover. With such worries and many more it's hard to have recreational activities at the forefront of my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I'm not arsed insulting you and getting an infraction, I wasn't asking anyone to remind me, I was just thinking aloud that if it was mentioned on here I'd go, otherwise I'll most likely forget about it. It's not the most important thing in my life at the moment, I won't bore you with the list of things I care about more, but Lindsay Lohan is looking terrible lately, I really hope she starts taking better care of herself. I also fear I may have broken several blades of grass today which will takes hours, no, days to recover. With such worries and many more it's hard to have recreational activities at the forefront of my mind.
    Maybe I am wrong but I don't think he meant it as a big deal, I think you got bent out of shape for very little. Just my 0.02c

I prefer the sound of the Ferrari, it's more musical. That's a V12?
    I certainly like the sound of F1 (regardless V8 /V10/V12) especially compared to some of the droning race cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Advertisement