Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***All DIY posters please read: Safe Pass course now mandatory***

• 01-04-2010 9:24am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭

HI all, I've been given the word from the Admins that some new health and safety rules are to be implemented in the forum. From the first of May any user offering DIY advice must hold a current Safe Pass cert. Seemingly the boards.ie legal eagles found a loophole in the law which means we could be sued if the advice given out isn't done so in a safe way.

TBH I think this this is complete BS, as there is no proper way to validate other users claims that they hold a current Safe Pass, and who is going to go to the bother of getting one just to post here. I dunno guys, this could be the death of the DIY forum, we'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I call April Fools :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

gaz wac wrote: »
    I call April Fools :D

That was my first reaction as well, but i've seen the paperwork and its real i'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

Has to be an April Fools ..... even if it was true how could you moderate it?

We'll all have a caveat in our signature ..... the advice given is purely our own foolish idea and shouldn't be taken too seriously as it may cause untold harm to you if you follow it.

or put it in our sig :D

safepasscard.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all,

I just wanted to pop in and say that I'm afraid this news is true. Despite our disclaimers on the Terms & Conditions there is a requirement here for us to do our best to ensure that advice given out is from certified people.

We're currently working on a means with which members can verify their Safe Pass status, bear with us.

Dav
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Advertisement

hmmmm !! but sure if that’s the case, we would have to get rid of the other 8 sub sections i.e. plumbing..cos im not a plumber...electrical..cos im not an electrician!!

What about other forums..work and jobs?...can’t give advice unless you have a degree in HR...accountancy...the list is endless

:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Just seen that on askboutmoney! Does anyone smell another scam from FAS???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

this sounds absolutley crazy!!!

half of boards will be removed if thats the case. so if i wanted to mention anything in the motors section i have to a memeber of SIMI.

beside the craziness of it all is how does a safepass absolve anyone of giving crap advice. the safepass is the biggest joke ever.

i have a safe pass but by me having that , can i give electrical and gas advice?

Crazy I tells Ya.

(bit coincidental it happens on the first of april ;);))

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is there some collusion between boards & AAM?
    I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yeah... Happy april fools day to you to....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Well woodcraft forum will be ok, as I,m fully trained, qualified, certified and mystified:D:D:D

Does that mean unqualified mods will have to pack their bags and hit the road then:eek::D:D:D

kadman

Poor attempt mods.... But well done. I have not heard any good ones today... Even the mega thread is poor at the moment.

See ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

would a drivers licence do.

Or maybe a lues ticket. I have 4 of them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Good news everybody, we've got the new rule overturned. Seemingly a link has been uncovered between our recommended health and safety company and one of our legal advisors, resulting in our safe pass advice being unsound. The extra money that all of these safe pass courses would have generated was been used to pay of a directors multimillion debt to Anglo Irish bank! The whole thing smells of corruption and an investigation has commenced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,128 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Safe Pass would have been bad enough, but having to wear safety boots, hard hat and a hi-vis vest while posting would have been OTT...

;)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

would you have to wear a hard hat while you typing or would a hi viz vest be ok:eek:

would you have to wear a hard hat while you typing or would a hi viz vest be ok:eek:

That would depend on weather or not she is going to jump on you or is looking for a target to throw something at you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭aah yes

The tread depth on me boots is below 1.6mm, will I need new boots now? Normally takes me boots off in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

And I was looking forward to the new "Hypothetical DIY" forum, oh well.:rolleyes:

Advertisement