Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday is not a public holiday..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

lazygal wrote: »
    OP, if you want to sort this out you will have to approach the service provider in a less aggressive manner than you have approached some posts here.
    I have tried to explain the rationale behind this policy, but if you don't agree with it that is no reason to be rude.
    Aggressive? I'm not aggressive in the slightest dear, I just don't like being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Codswallop.

Don't mean to be rude, but re-read what you've just written and see if it makes sense.

Ok let me put it in terms you will understand,
    if you sign up for a year long contract with a phone company billing monthly or weekly you pay monthly or weekly to hold that number. If you dont' use that phone one day does not mean you get that day free or deducted from your bill. Same rule applies here ok, it's not a daily service, and to be honest with you the way you attack people in here that just try to give advice or opinion is quite rude.
    It's not codswallop, i think you need to ask your service provider what they're rules and regulations are, or in this case the people who look after your child instead of btiching about it and then attacking those who try to help.

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm assuming the creche staff are being paid.
    I'm sure they are. With money paid by me for a service not being provided.
    While it's not an official holiday here, it's sort of an unofficial one.
    Good Friday is a working day.
    Have you raised this with the creche?
    I asked the manager if Good Friday was a public holiday and if they were open. I knew the answer, but I'm hoping that when saying the words, "no, Good Friday is not a public holiday, however creche is closed", it'll make her think. That's as far as I'm personally prepared to go. The reason I do not want to push the issue further with the creche is because I like to know that my child is being well looked after and is in safe hands. I'm not suggesting that the creche might treat my child differently if I were to voice my dissatisfaction at their closure on a working day while continuing to take payment, but I'd prefer to be on good terms with them.

cbyrd wrote: »
    if you sign up for a year long contract with a phone company billing monthly or weekly you pay monthly or weekly to hold that number. If you dont' use that phone one day does not mean you get that day free or deducted from your bill.
    No. Totally different. The service is still there, however a choice is made by the customer not to use it. That would be like creche being open but me choosing not to take my child in.

Same rule applies here ok, it's not a daily service,
    No, it's a weekly service. Point?

and to be honest with you the way you attack people in here that just try to give advice or opinion is quite rude.
    I'm afraid I respectfully disagree with anybody who enjoys being ripped off.

It's not codswallop, i think you need to ask your service provider what they're rules and regulations are, or in this case the people who look after your child instead of btiching about it and then attacking those who try to help.
    Those who try to help? By saying to look elsewhere? If I'm not wrong, most creches are the same.

Ok fair point about the choice thing but you're not being billed by the day this is my point, if you were then you could pay for 4 instead of 5.

another point is if you are taking a day off are you going to be paid for it? unless you are self employed you really won't lose out surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Ok let me put it in terms you will understand,
    if you sign up for a year long contract with a phone company billing monthly or weekly you pay monthly or weekly to hold that number. If you dont' use that phone one day does not mean you get that day free or deducted ...
    Bad analogy. If they remove service (or there's "downtime") you should/do get refunded.
    That is unless you are with a shower of absolute cowboys.

I sympathies with the op - they've paid for a service, and the crèche have arbitrarily decided not to provide it. (S)He should get a refund.

It's an awful shame we accept this kind of crap tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

another point is if you are taking a day off are you going to be paid for it? unless you are self employed you really won't lose out surely.
    That really his beside the point. Maybe they don't have holidays left, maybe they're self employed, maybe, maybe, maybe....

The point is they paid for a service & they're not getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Zulu wrote: »
    Bad analogy. If they remove service (or there's "downtime") you should/do get refunded.
    That is unless you are with a shower of absolute cowboys.

I sympathies with the op - they've paid for a service, and the crèche have arbitrarily decided not to provide it. (S)He should get a refund.

It's an awful shame we accept this kind of crap tbh.

OP knew this was the deal when they signed up. They could have queried it then or sought a provider who better suited their needs. As they knew in advance and agreed to the T&Cs, I can't see why they object now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think if a creche only costs 150 euro a week that they have included the weeks being closed in the over all price.
    I purposely sent my child to a creche open every day of the year except public holidays because I work those days,if you knew in advance you really have no reason to moan about it.

i think you're best option would be to hire a child minder, that way then you call the shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nolly23

http://www.siptu.ie/YourRights/TUFGuideToLabourLaw/HoursHolidaysGeneralConditions/OrganisationOfWorkingTimeAct1997AnnualLe/

What Is The Difference Between A Public Holiday And A Bank Holiday?

A Public Holiday is a day declared by law to be a Public Holiday. A Bank Holiday has no legal status.
    In everyday language, Public Holiday and Bank Holiday are often used interchangeably. The only Bank Holiday that is not also a Public Holiday is Good Friday. Good Friday has no legal basis as a holiday. Always use the expression Public Holiday. The State occasionally declares days to be ‘Public Holidays’ as they did for 31 December, 1999, Millennium Eve.
    In some employments – local authorities and creameries – employees also take the Church Holidays. The Church Holidays were 6 January, Ascension Thursday, Corpus Christi, 15 August, 1 November and 8 December. With a fortnight’s notice these can be substituted for Public Holidays. Employees in the sectors mentioned often take both Public and Church Holidays, the extra days being subtracted from their Annual Leave entitlement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

My son's creche is closed today too. I have the day off myself so it doesn't really bother me but I will say that I was not informed by the staff nor was there even a sign on the wall to say it was closed today. It was just accepted.
    I brought this to their attention and still nothing was said / done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

OP, my understanding of the whole thing (from the creche my daughter attends) is as follows.

(I'm using rough made up figures here).

There are 365 days in a year. Lets say in total weekends and bank holidays come to roughly 120 days per year.

So the working days of the creche are 245 days. So they also close good friday and christmas eve and new years eve and a couple of days over christmas. So we're at 240 days.

They work out the cost of the childcare based on the 240 days and split it up into weekly costs.
    So lets say those 240 days cost €7800. They split it over 52 weeks and charge €150 per week.

So lets say they don't close over christmas except for public holidays and they don't close good friday. We're at 245 days. Which would cost 7963 for the year. Resulting in a weekly charge of 154.

So it would cost you and extra 5 euro per week for creche.

My company make us keep 3 days annual leave aside for good friday, christmas eve and new years eve as we are closed but it isn't a public holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Love2love wrote: »
    My son's creche is closed today too. I have the day off myself so it doesn't really bother me but I will say that I was not informed by the staff nor was there even a sign on the wall to say it was closed today. It was just accepted.
    I brought this to their attention and still nothing was said / done.

This happened to me a few years ago. I wasn't told, nor were any signs up that creche was closing at 3pm. The place I worked at the time was open on good friday. I arrived at 6pm to collect my daughter to find one car outside the creche(the manager), and my daughter and her were the only people there.

Basically they had told every parent except myself or my ex. Everyone else went home at 3pm and she had to stay with my daughter. They didn't call as they knew we were both working and that it was their error.

Hwever since then, there have been signs up every year and I've always been told :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

nolly23 wrote: »
    http://www.siptu.ie/YourRights/TUFGuideToLabourLaw/HoursHolidaysGeneralConditions/OrganisationOfWorkingTimeAct1997AnnualLe/

What Is The Difference Between A Public Holiday And A Bank Holiday?

A Public Holiday is a day declared by law to be a Public Holiday. A Bank Holiday has no legal status.
    In everyday language, Public Holiday and Bank Holiday are often used interchangeably. The only Bank Holiday that is not also a Public Holiday is Good Friday. Good Friday has no legal basis as a holiday. Always use the expression Public Holiday. The State occasionally declares days to be ‘Public Holidays’ as they did for 31 December, 1999, Millennium Eve.
    In some employments – local authorities and creameries – employees also take the Church Holidays. The Church Holidays were 6 January, Ascension Thursday, Corpus Christi, 15 August, 1 November and 8 December. With a fortnight’s notice these can be substituted for Public Holidays. Employees in the sectors mentioned often take both Public and Church Holidays, the extra days being subtracted from their Annual Leave entitlement

SIPTU are slightly incorrect in this, Good Friday is not the only Bank Holiday that is not a public Holiday, There are three Bank holidays at Christmas December 25/26/27 and the third one is not a public holiday. It calls on 29th December in 2010, since December 25/26 are weekends.

Advertisement