Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europa League quarter final first leg: Benfica v Liverppool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

This Northern chap on channel five would do your head in.

Most annoying accent that and he is also a crap pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Jaysus this will be painful viewing, who are these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Colin Murray must have got a super-agent last year cos he is everywhere now. Over 5live like a rash.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The legend that is Phil Babb. No complaints. Who is that Kirsten bint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Phil Babb, "Lucas was an inspiration"

where've you been all my life Phil! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

PaulieC wrote: »
    Good to see Plesis on the bench thought he'd gone off the radar completely although I'm sure he's only there because Kellys gone and crocked himself :(

Nice to have Pacheco back too though!

Just looking at the subs I think Plessis is there mainly because Spearing is on loan and there is very little in the way of other options.

Would be really shocked to see Plessis feature at all and reckon it would be a case of jiggery pokery on the pitch as opposed to a sub if there was any midfield injuries - Gerrard back and Benayoun on at a guess.

Also strange that Degen isn't on the bench, especially with Kelly out. Havent heard anything about an injury but but very strange for him not to be there given there is only one defender on the step.:eek::eek::eek:

On Riera - hardly likely to make the Spanish WC squad if he can't make the squad given the injury situation. Saw somewhere that talks with one of the Russian sides broke down because of personal terms. Maybe not being in the squad might be a bit of an incentive for him to reconsider his position. Long-term the future doesn't look too bright for Al - reminded of the phrase "if you come at the king you better not miss"

Also I reckon Darby would probably be on the bench given Kelly is out and Degen is AWOL.

Maxi - ineligible
    Skrtel - injured
    Aurelio - injured
    Kelly - injured
    Degen ?????
    Riera - naughty step
    Spearing - Loan
    Darby - Loan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

So we are peaking at right time of season. interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So we are peaking at right time of season. interesting

Who said that?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Who said that?
    that presenter on 3e.

• Advertisement

Heard the guy was injury prone but this is to coin a phrase from an T shirt "beyond the pale"

has he been injured before this tie? genuine question

that presenter on 3e.

Should've peaked from the beginning to be fair.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    has he been injured before this tie? genuine question
    Well up until november he was injured. then there was the stomach bug. And then there was another stomach bug. I think you can count the amount of games he started on one hand.

ok so this is his first "injury" other than the one he had when he joined, just wasn't sure if that was the case or not.

he had mexican flu or watever it was half our squad had at one stage, and then he had the flu a few months later. they dont really count as injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

disrespectful git.

how dare he say 'Insua has a fat arse on him'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

"To me Insua looks like he's a big fat arse on him"

Quote of the season!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

what has Yossi done wrong? That is the question.

I'd take a draw tonight. With an away goal preferrably

ok so this is his first "injury" other than the one he had when he joined, just wasn't sure if that was the case or not.

he had mexican flu or watever it was half our squad had at one stage, and then he had the flu a few months later. they dont really count as injuries.
    End of the day its one thing after another with Aquaman. Would be nice to see him go maybe a week without any complications.

i have a feeling that with Yossi being one of our more expendable assets, and another summer of having to sell to buy ahead, that Yossi may be on his way in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think this is a settled looking side and Rafa is not tinkering with it, esp in Europe. Nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I dont know how any of ye watch 3e or tv3, i have those and im streaming instead. Id rather take a razor blade and slowly jab away at my wrists than watch those channels.

• Advertisement

Well up until november he was injured. then there was the stomach bug. And then there was another stomach bug. I think you can count the amount of games he started on one hand.

Started 8 games so unless you have freakish hands you are incorrect :p

Throw in 11 other games where he has made sub appearances and he's up to a total of 19 appearances so far - that's more appearances than Rio Ferdinand so far this season.;):p

Overall though it is disappointing, but I'll be waiting until next season when he has a proper preseason. Not really surprising that he's not physically 100% fit given how his season has been.

TV3 punter "Moments of explosivity" :D:D:D

ha ha ha at the Liverpool fans comment that was read out, "should be a comfortable win tonight"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

i have a feeling that with Yossi being one of our more expendable assets, and another summer of having to sell to buy ahead, that Yossi may be on his way in the summer.

You're probably right, but he's still our third best attacking player, he should be playing if fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Alberto Aquilani Injury Ankle/Foot Injury 2010 31st March
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Virus 2010 March 13th
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Virus 2010 February 10th
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Calf Muscle Strain 2009 December 18th
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Virus 2009 October 31st
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Ankle/Foot Injury 2009 March 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ha ha ha at the Liverpool fans comment that was read out, "should be a comfortable win tonight"

more importantly, Phil Babb should be on Exposé.

You're probably right, but he's still our third best attacking player, he should be playing if fit

i'd have him ahead of Babel alright :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I can't believe the coverage, it's so low budget, like the production quality is shocking, lacks direction, from a design point of view everyone bar Babb should be shot.

Tusky wrote: »
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Ankle/Foot Injury 2010 31st March
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Virus 2010 March 13th
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Virus 2010 February 10th
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Calf Muscle Strain 2009 December 18th
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Virus 2009 October 31st
    Alberto Aquilani Injury Ankle/Foot Injury 2009 March 1st

apart from the virus' did he miss any games because of those?

daithijjj wrote: »
    I dont know how any of ye watch 3e or tv3, i have those and im streaming instead. Id rather take a razor blade and slowly jab away at my wrists than watch those channels.
    see your point but wouldnt have the patience to reload the pages all the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Setanta are like the ultimate professional outfit compared to these guys.

Worst. Football. Coverage. Ever.

• Advertisement

I'd take a draw tonight. With an away goal preferrably

Would have gone for Gerrard midfield with Benayoun in front myself.

Tough to know - with Gerrard, Aqualani, Benayoun and Pacheco on the horizon it does look like there is a lot of competition for the central attcking three position.
    daithijjj wrote: »

Kinda like a car crash.

Tough to know - with Gerrard, Aqualani, Benayoun and Pacheco on the horizon it does look like there is a lot of competition for the central attcking three position.

plus the re-emergence of Babel as a player & the signing of Maxi on a free. shame, but thats the situation we're in i guess.

5starpool wrote: »
    Setanta are like the ultimate professional outfit compared to these guys.

Worst. Football. Coverage. Ever.
    I miss Ronnie :D

apart from the virus' did he miss any games because of those?

Well the first one is the injury that he had when he joined and so that has obviously kept him out for most of the season. I think he missed one game for the calf muscle strain and now hes out again with the ankle injury. I'ts not particularly surprising - when youre injured for so long you pick up small injuries when you start playing again. The virus's are what surprise me, 3 in the space of a few months ?

Trevor makes George Hamilton seem almost God like.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

YES!!!!

No Jeff Kenna.

Result.

I miss Ronnie :D

GTFO :mad::mad::mad:

Babb> Ronnie ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hey remember when we went to Real Madrid with a back four of:

Arbeloa Carragher Skrtel Aurellio

?

Would so go for that over:

Johnson Carragher Agger Insua

They will definitely score, so we will need to make inroads going forward.

Well the first one is the injury that he had when he joined and so that has obviously kept him out for most of the season. I think he missed one game for the calf muscle strain and now hes out again with the ankle injury. I'ts not particularly surprising - when youre injured for so long you pick up small injuries when you start playing again. The virus's are what surprise me, 3 in the space of a few months ?

true, the virus thing is weird, although one of them was when the whole squad was struck down.

• Advertisement

LOL @ the commentary. "You look through their squad and they have 10 Brazilians, 3 Argentinians and...some people from Paraguay"

Anyone else kinda surprised by just how much TV3 are rating Benefica?

Obviously they are no mugs but have they looked at the teams Benfica actually have played in Europe this season ?

LOL @ the commentary. "You look through their squad and they have 10 Brazilians, 3 Argentinians and...some people from Paraguay"

Piss poor really. Totally unprofessional.

I wish Sky would show these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Insua has a big fat arse on him. Great analysis

As always, Benfica is an intimidating place to play.

Anyone else kinda surprised by just how much TV3 are rating Benefica?

Obviously they are no mugs but have they looked at the teams Benfica actually have played in Europe this season ?

"Yeah, and Homer beat their brains out!!"

They have looked good all year, are on course to win their league. Benfica were a complete shambles last season, and they look to have turned the club around. They will impact upon the CL next year imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Johnson is better than Arbeloa
    Agger is a better ball player than Skrtel
    Insua can be dodgy but Aurerlio is no dream either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As always, Benfica is an intimidating place to play.

I'll never forget the night United played there and got eliminated from the CL. As soon as I heard the crowd before kick-off, I knew we were in for an awful night. So intimidating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Just said this is reinas 250th appearance with 122 clean sheets on the channel im watching, pretty immpressive considering some of the muck defending we have seen.

Johnson is better than Arbeloa
    Agger is a better ball player than Skrtel
    Insua can be dodgy but Aurerlio is no dream either

Johson: not close defensively
    Agger: poor center back defensively
    Insua: a downgrade from Aurellio

Overall: a back four much disimproved at attacking the ball from set pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

That's a ridiculously dangerous high boot. Should have been a booking, no excuse for it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement