Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False Black Widow Spider

Options
  • 01-04-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

Found a FBW along the top of one of the two small widows either side of the back door. I flipped into the garden, but didnt see it land... then spent 5 mins running around thinking it had landed on me somewhere. Neighbours, sorry if you were alarmed by this sight, i can report i havent lost it, badly. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

oh dear god. my worst nightmare. how big was it? what did it look like? what do you reckon the crunch factor was if you had squished it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Oh God just googled it like an idiot to see what it looked like....I won't sleep tonight now.........

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

We have one nesting behind the outside light, it's been there all winter. Kept me company when I was smoking :D

Took this ages ago, but I had a very close encounter with this one, walked out of the front door to empty the bin and nearly walked straight into this fella having his breakfast...

3301595251_ba4c5285eb.jpg

@Neets, if you like spiders you should get a composter for the back garden, I swear mine is making them grow into BIG black horrid looking spiders. They scare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Thats the thing, they're not that big. The spider above is a wolf spider, i think, much bigger - they live outside anyway. I also can never bring myself to kill spiders. I will remove them if need be. When i was in Canada there was a report on the news showing this fellas house. He had blocks of old bricks around his house. In every brick there was a nesting black widow. Oooh it was 'orrible.

just googled it myself and now feel physically sick. have a pathological fear of spiders after i woke up one morning to find a large hairy specimen having a nap in my eye socket...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

just googled it myself and now feel physically sick. have a pathological fear of spiders after i woke up one morning to find a large hairy specimen having a nap in my eye socket...

oh how i wish i could unread that:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

foxy06 wrote: »
    oh how i wish i could unread that:eek:
    +1!!!

.....then there was the time when i came back from a three week holiday only to peel back the duvet and find a fairly hefty dead spider attached to an egg sac and about 100 little dead baby spiders who had hatched, made a break for freedom, only to suffocate under a 13 togs...am scarred for life after that one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Why is it all the people who don't like spiders googled it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

neets wrote: »
    .....then there was the time when i came back from a three week holiday only to peel back the duvet and find a fairly hefty dead spider attached to an egg sac and about 100 little dead baby spiders who had hatched, made a break for freedom, only to suffocate under a 13 togs...am scarred for life after that one...

You seem to have horrible luck with spiders! Seriously, how do you sleep at night?

• Advertisement

Rasmus wrote: »
    You seem to have horrible luck with spiders! Seriously, how do you sleep at night?

Gin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 temana

false-widow-or-cellar-spider_16010_1.jpg

Found two of these (false widow) in my house in burnaby lawns in the past 6 months. They are pretty small... same size as black widow, maybe an inch long? They're pretty common now I think... their colouring varies though (with region?) The ones I found in my house was hairless shiny black like the one above but with greyish brown marks on its back. They look pretty mean but are very reclusive... the last one we found was in a shoe under the stairs so I always check my shoes before putting them on now! Apparently bite is just like a bee sting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

[QUOTE=

the last one we found was in a shoe under the stairs so I always check my shoes before putting them on now! Apparently bite is just like a bee sting?[/QUOTE]

That is HORRIFIC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 temana

I know I HATE spiders :( but these ones r so shy... the first one I saw in the house was trying in vain to scratch its way across the shiny floor one night and when I approached it, it rolled up into a ball... I think they like to avoid people! Thank god.

Also discovered one scratching across the kitchen floor yesterday. Theyz 'orrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

If you think that is horrible. I dare you to google Camel Spider. :eek:

jaffa20 wrote: »
    If you think that is horrible. I dare you to google Camel Spider. :eek:

It will just give me the hump.

*cough*

Advertisement