Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Gardai here on the forum? NCT backlog question.

• 01-04-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I know this have been covered lots and lots of times but......

Attempted to book one of our family cars for an NCT was told nothing available for 3 months in any of the centres in Cork region. I would love to hear what Gardai (if any here on the forum) have to say about this; i.e. their personal oponions.. what happens now at a checkpoint?

Cheers,
    CarMuppet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Im not a Guard, but once you have a letter from the NCT of an appointment you are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

thanks... but the NCT office won't issue a letter until an actual date/time becomes available. There is a 3 month waiting list I was told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Yeah just leave it in your glove compartment and you will be fine at check points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Too late for you now but you can NCT a car 3 months before its due date.

Too late for you now but you can NCT a car 3 months before its due date.

Yes you are right. Tried to book one month in advance & couldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

if you phone them first thing in the morning you can usually get a test that day, that's what I always do.

been doing that... for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

If you ring up NCTS in person and ask for cancellations at your desired test center they usually can accommodate you. The web based booking system doesnt get updated regularly enough by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Just accept one for any test centre so you can get the letter then get it changed. That's what I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

E39MSport wrote: »
    Just accept one for any test centre so you can get the letter then get it changed. That's what I did.

+1

I would not drive around without the letter. I've had my car on the road without NCT for the last few weeks and have been stopped at checkpoints 3 times (and I drive very little), each time producing the NCT letter and the Garda saying "grand so". My car was fixed this week and will be NCTd next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

E39MSport wrote: »

Thats what I did.

OP another thing you could do is go online if you know the date of registration (will be on reg cert) and try different centres and dates and you may get one somewhere and then log back on each day till you get something that suits. Print off the confirmation email and carry with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I called them as I opened this thread and have a test booked for 17th May in Cork. Confirmation letter in the post today.

Thanks, that's interesting.... just called back again (7th time).... just got a booking for 18th May in Cork... again letter in post.

They also claim that their website is up and running again...

I'll stop moaning now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

if they offer you a date over 4 weeks,
    ask them is it free, as it outside their charter and as such the test should be free,

they will put you onto a customer service rep and hey presto you will have a date within 4 weeks....... just so they can charge you and not gie out a free NCT

robtri wrote: »
    ask them is it free, as it outside their charter and as such the test should be free,

they will put you onto a customer service rep and hey presto you will have a date within 4 weeks....... just so they can charge you and not gie out a free NCT

Have you actually done this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

robtri wrote: »

I didn't know that, nice one!

CarMuppet wrote: »
    Thanks, that's interesting.... just called back again (7th time).... just got a booking for 18th May in Cork... again letter in post.

They also claim that their website is up and running again...

I'll stop moaning now. ;)

There must have been a blockage on the line or something, and I sorted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

JustinOval wrote: »
    Have you actually done this?

yep... and works fine...

had two guys in work a couple of weeks ago, they where give stupid dates.. had them ring back
    both where offered dates within 3 weeks....

and for the smack in the face, they where offered 3 different times they could go for on the new date.....
    which was booked up solid till they asked for the free test

heres a link to their charter... see point number 4
    http://www.ncts.ie/customer_charter.aspx

JustinOval wrote: »
    There must have been a blockage on the line or something, and I sorted it.

must have been... or the threat of boards.ie looming over them...

RE: the >4 week test time = a free test.. might just go and try that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

O/P as a member of the Traffic Corps my PERSONAL opinion to this is once you have the vehicle booked in, and you keep the letter in the car with you then your fine.

However.....some of my collegues may not agree. All you can do is try. If your prosecuted then im afraid its your fault....not the Gardas.

But as I say.....I wouldnt be prosecuting you.....I cant think of anyone that works with me that would either if you have the letter.

• Advertisement

O/P as a member of the Traffic Corps my PERSONAL opinion to this is once you have the vehicle booked in, and you keep the letter in the car with you then your fine.

However.....some of my collegues may not agree. All you can do is try. If your prosecuted then im afraid its your fault....not the Gardas.

But as I say.....I wouldnt be prosecuting you.....I cant think of anyone that works with me that would either if you have the letter.

Thanks for reply... interesting to know. Still though I think it's worth to try and push for an earlier test date.... 1890-200-670 here we go again :)

Cheers,
    CarMuppet

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

i actually booked mine an hour ago for waterford and i got the 21st of may. where did you see that thing about the 4 weeks robtri ill definetly try that??

Clano wrote: »
    i actually booked mine an hour ago for waterford and i got the 21st of may. where did you see that thing about the 4 weeks robtri ill definetly try that??

go to : http://www.ncts.ie/customer_charter.aspx

item number 4

Fantastic. I'm going for the free test option.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Ah cheers thats unreal!!!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Woot. Free test for the PD wagon.

On-Topic, I've been stopped a few times recently, and showing the Garda Sicoluní the confirmation email on my iPhone's been fine. Most are absolutely fine about it.

Advertisement