Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wife selling: real or an April Fool's joke?

Options
  • 01-04-2010 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

Is this well-referenced article a sophisticated April Fool's joke? It is 'Today's Featured Article' on Wikipedia today.

The article says basically that instead of going through the expense of a divorce a man would put a halter on his wife and bring her to a market or fair and offer her for sale by public auction. It apparently went on in England until the early twentieth century.

This has to be a joke?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Dionysus wrote: »
    It is 'Today's Featured Article' on Wikipedia today.

I think this should say it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Dionysus wrote: »
    Is this well-referenced article a sophisticated April Fool's joke? It is 'Today's Featured Article' on Wikipedia today.

The article says basically that instead of going through the expense of a divorce a man would put a halter on his wife and bring her to a market or fair and offer her for sale by public auction. It apparently went on in England until the early twentieth century.

This has to be a joke?

I think I remember hearing this in a history of the family lecture - sale of wives to save face. I'm not sure how common it was in Ireland - if at all....?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

who'd want to buy one of them! And if you press the discussion tab your question will be answered. However i have read about the practice beforehand

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I remember singing a petition to get the law in Ireland changed because at that time a man could not be charged with raping his wife.

The practice of churching a wife after having a baby was also carried on.

Then there were the Magdalene Laundries

And the old trick of getting a priest or doctor to counter sign an old relative into a lunatic asylum so you could keep the farm.

Treatment of women here wasn't all that much better not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Wife selling was traditionally a visible form of self divorce. Men could release themselves from a marriage by accepting a token sum of money from a rival suitor. The first recorded instance was in the 1690s, when John Whitehouse sold his wife for 2 1/4 pence per pound. I kid you not. Have a look out for a book by John Gillis called 'For Better, for worse'. Very interesting read with an entire chapter on wife selling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement