Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this is?

Options
  • 01-04-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I scored a couple of pots from freecycyle a couple of weeks ago and never got round to emptying and cleaning,now have these growing....theres also some tiny buds on the woody stems.I'm going to leave them and see what grows.

Any ideas what they could be?Ta
    notsure-1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

aerosol wrote: »
    I scored a couple of pots from freecycyle a couple of weeks ago and never got round to emptying and cleaning,now have these growing....theres also some tiny buds on the woody stems.I'm going to leave them and see what grows.

notsure-1.jpg

Look a bit like Lupin leaves, but very early....

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Thanks Andip,just googled lupin,they're nice looking flowers:)When u say early do you mean they are early to start are in very early stage?Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

Thanks Andip,just googled lupin,they're nice looking flowers:)When u say early do you mean they are early to start are in very early stage?Ta

They look like lupins alright. They die off every winter and come back, usually around now, but they're a bit late due to the cold weather. They grow to about a meter tall in midsummer.

johno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The woody stems wouldn't be lupins, maybe a fuchsia of some sort. Be warned, lupins are magnets for aphids.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

lupins allright ,nice pots, nice plant other looks like fushia might sprout from the base if wasn't too cold where you got it from , good old free cycle am a sucker for free stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lupins are great for the soil if they are planted out in the garden.
    They have nitrogen fixing bacteria on the roots and actually improve the soil.

wouldn't leave i pots too long they get quite big and have large roots too so could split those hansome pots , i would plant out in garden in autumn as it dies back for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

bmaxi wrote: »
    The woody stems wouldn't be lupins, maybe a fuchsia of some sort. Be warned, lupins are magnets for aphids.

Could be tree lupins rather then herbaceous ones

:confused:while we're on the subject of lupins i have a tree lupin which was planted last year looks dead is there any small vestige of hope left for it after our wonderfull winter . donno much about them only familiar with herbeacious ones, will it rise from the dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Could be tree lupins rather then herbaceous ones

Good point, I wouldn't give much for the survival of the pot in that case though. I still think they are fuchsias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

notsure-1.jpg
    its a lupin, look healthy. feed and enjoy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

bmaxi wrote: »
    I still think they are fuchsias.

I think the other plants in the pot are fuschias.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Finally got to have a look at the picture on something other then my phone. Yeah, the other plant has the papery bark look of fuchsia but could also be dead geraniums or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

Yes, lupins and dead geraniums
    BTW LIDLs are selling lupins up here tomorrow as ALPINES....LOL

Advertisement