Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Melbourne on my Gap year - How to make friends?

Options
  • 01-04-2010 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm 25 in a few months and I am planning on travelling solo from September for 15 months or so. I plan to travel through Asia for about 8 weeks and arrive in Melbourne then in mid-November (probably too late for the Melbourne Cup) where I plan to base myself for the best part of a year.

As I'll be travelling alone I'm wondering what is the best way to make friends (with locals and other travellers doing the same thing as myself)?

When travelling its fine as you meet plenty of people in hostels and tour groups, but when arriving in a city to live its a different story altogether. I'll have to get rented accomodation, but I wont know anybody so wont have anyone to live with.

Are Long Term Hostels a good way of meeting people in the same situation as myself? How expensive would they be? Which one would you recommend?

What other ways are there of settling in and building a group of friends?

All advice is welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just find a hostel to stay in for a while. Make friends and go from there. You might find that others there are in the same boat as you and looking to rent an apartment/house.

I've seen people doing the "long term" stays in hostels alright. Not for me but it looks like a great way to meet new people and have a laugh if you're travelling by yourself and don't mind living out of a bag in a hostel. Coffee Palace down in the St. Kilda area (major Irish/English backpacker area) seems quite popular for this. I think dorms there are around $20 a night or so. Prob less for long termers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Having Breasts helps;):)

Advertisement