Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Anyone Tried This Dog Food

Options
  • 01-04-2010 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Have any you guys tried this food before?
    http://www.bestformydog.com

Well priced, but not sure how good it is

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

i'd say that's pretty expensive - can get well known good quality dried dog food from zooplus and petsupermarket a lot cheaper than €40+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

PaulB91 wrote: »
    i'd say that's pretty expensive - can get well known good quality dried dog food from zooplus and petsupermarket a lot cheaper than €40+

All the 15kg good quality food I see on those sites and from pet shops are all between €58-€69. I thought €40 was a bargain??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

No why do I get the feeling that food could very well be cheap stuff bought outta Naas & re-bagged? They don't mention where it's manufacturered or any of that ... isn't Dunboyne in Meath same as the OP & the business is only newly registered ... doing a bit of market research are we lol

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Irisheyes73

I tried (well my dog did) and got a really upset tummy with it! Went back to royal canin very quickly! I say NO

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I use red mills (working dog). 17 euro for 15 kg. Dogs love the food mixed with some tinned food (liddle, tesco ). I know dog food is priced at 40 euro and well over (50,60 euro and I seen it at 67.50)SUPER RIP OFF
    Has a nation we are being ripped off PROBABLY because we love our animals and want to do the best that we can for them.
    Shop around and just don't hand over the money just because the packet says super dog food.

• Advertisement

terenc wrote: »
    I use red mills (working dog). 17 euro for 15 kg. Dogs love the food mixed with some tinned food (liddle, tesco ). I know dog food is priced at 40 euro and well over (50,60 euro and I seen it at 67.50)SUPER RIP OFF
    Has a nation we are being ripped off PROBABLY because we love our animals and want to do the best that we can for them.
    Shop around and just don't hand over the money just because the packet says super dog food.

That's why I'm asking the question. I'm looking for the best food for my puppy that I can afford -
    Royal Canin starter puppy - Best price online is €59.90 for 10kg
    Hills Puppy & Junior - Best price I can get is €64.99 for 15kg

This is pricing Zooplus, Smart Pets Superstore and my local pet shops.

I'm currently buying different makes of food in small bags to gauge what she likes - currently she has good taste and only likes the expensive stuff - typical woman ;)

Anywhere else that I can try or any other recommended food brands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I haven't tried the food, but know a good few people that have and they are all raving about it. TBH with the amount of dogs I have here I can't afford it, but I think that if I only had 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4) dogs, I would give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Steve.N wrote: »
    That's why I'm asking the question. I'm looking for the best food for my puppy that I can afford -
    Royal Canin starter puppy - Best price online is €59.90 for 10kg
    Hills Puppy & Junior - Best price I can get is €64.99 for 15kg

This is pricing Zooplus, Smart Pets Superstore and my local pet shops.

I'm currently buying different makes of food in small bags to gauge what she likes - currently she has good taste and only likes the expensive stuff - typical woman ;)

Anywhere else that I can try or any other recommended food brands?

There are plenty of foods out there ranging from cheap to very expensive, doesnt necessarily mean that the most expensive is the best.

I personally think the likes of Royal Canin, Hills etc is way over priced and there are plenty of other foods just as good for cheaper.

SteveN, as you say, you have a budget and you want to try and get the best for that price. If you let us know what your monthly budget is we can try and recommend something for you in that range.

Ive used Hills on my dog before (won a bag at a show) and my dog broke out in hotspots on his face from it and ive heard of other dogs getting major reactions to it as well, so what suits one dog doesnt always suit others.

I personally wouldnt feed supermarket brands to my dog as i can afford better but some people do and their dogs are fine.

Steve, Redmills Leader Supreme isnt bad and isnt too expensive either for 15kg, think its roughly 35-40 euro, but make sure its the Leader range, the supreme being the best one in that range. I know someone feeding it to their great dane whos a show dog too and they are in fantastic condition.

Thanks for the advice. :D
    I'm pretty new to the doggy world but have been shopping around to compare prices of food.
    Since I've only got a small Shihtzu/ Poodle cross I would spend what it takes to give her the best start as she's only very young. I was hoping to get a good quality food but was just blown away by all the choice and didn't know what one to go for or what was the best for the money.
    I'll buy the small bag of Redmills and the 'bestformy dog' stuff and just let her decide what she likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

a fella rang me for that before but i never got round to trying it. even though i'v tried loads and loads of foods. but the one i found that agrees better with my dogs is Burns. their coats are better there ****e looks a bit healthier (on a certain food it was like clay!!) their energy levels are up and they jus seem overall better on it. just my opinion. i no its €49 for 15kg but it lasts longer than most because they dont eat as much of it as they would of other foods

• Advertisement

three 15kg bags of Arden Grange Adult Dog Food Lamb & Rice delivered to my front door - £102 - that's £34 a bag - pet-supermarket, and according to the "Dogfoodanalysis" website it's 4 out of 5 stars for a dog food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

three 15kg bags of Arden Grange Adult Dog Food Lamb & Rice delivered to my front door - £102 - that's £34 a bag - pet-supermarket, and according to the "Dogfoodanalysis" website it's 4 out of 5 stars for a dog food

Does that include delivery? I checked the site, added 3 bags of AG to my basket and was charged £24 delivery to Ireland?

paultf wrote: »
    Does that include delivery? I checked the site, added 3 bags of AG to my basket and was charged £24 delivery to Ireland?

yep includes delivery - when you go to the "basket" add "easter10" into the gift voucher and click update, that will knock 10% off on orders over £79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

yep includes delivery - when you go to the "basket" add "easter10" into the gift voucher and click update, that will knock 10% off on orders over £79

Ah right, Paul, I see. I was looking at the chicken & rice which for some reason is £5 more expensive per bag compared to the lamb & rice. With the discount that's a good price for AG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MainShane

Has anyone had any experience with bluegrass dog food? They had a stall out at the Galway dogathon sunday and their 15kg bags go for 25 euro. I've also seen it in one of the local pet stores and have been curious. The ingredients don't seem too bad except for the beet pulp. There doesn't to seem to be much about it on the net and I'm a firm believer that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Advertisement