Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flickr gallery.

• 01-04-2010 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen this on the forum as yet so just to poke people about it, heads up, etc..

Flickr has a "new feature" (went over my head to be honest) where you, me, everybody, EVERYbody (blues brother reference) can create a gallery and fill it full of others images. Um, not sure how significantly this differs from people lifting your image and putting it on their blog /web site other than it happens within the flickr community - you get the image hits, the image credit, and a click through to your photostream, etc...

Hmnnn...., but you may not actually want this "feature" to enable people to plunder your photostream without your permission (at their will) so just be aware that while it appears to be a default setting of "on" you can turn it off in "Your Account"->"Privacy and Permissions"->"Allow your stuff to be added to a gallery".

(Actually thought it was an April Fools when I got an email this morning about it)

I mean everyone will decide whether it is significant or not for themselves - you might be perfectly happy to have your image added to the "gallery of horticulture" but maybe not have your prized image which you are very proud of added to the "gallery of biggest photographer losers".

Like everything I guess it can be used for good or bad.

BTW - If you leave it on, you can visit the gallery and remove your own image from their gallery if you object to it being in a particular gallery which I assume will prevent people from adding it back in.

On a broader issue, could they not have asked everyone as you log in if it was ok to apply this as a default - a simple message with yes or no options would suffice - 2 second opt in jobbie. I'd rather opt in to something than being up'd in.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Yeah, they did this about 6 months ago or so :)
    There was a big banner across the top and a flickr blog entry about it when it went live IIRC. You can opt out entirely, or remove your picture from a specific gallery, or block a specific user if you're unhappy with some aspect of it.
    I honestly don't see it in any way different from faves. You can view it as a way of grouping or organising favourites if you like, under a certain theme or whatever. Nothing sinister or stealy about it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

+1 on not having a problem with it. The personal decision can be made I suppose to turn the feature off if you object.
    Not a big deal in my book.

Advertisement